PDA

View Full Version : I must be captain luck.

kvidell
May 19th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Okay, I donno what's up with my laptop, but it loves me to pieces.

I just got a roughly 200 package dist-upgrade on my breezy install.. including all the gcc/c++ stuff people've been complaining about.. and all the new xorg stuff that's been breaking people's systems.

Rebooted...

Wait... Wait...
Flawless boot :)

C'mon! Break something Devs! :-P
- Kev

P.S.: I'm experiencing the Ctrl key weirdness but I don't consider that "broken" as it's not cripling.

bored2k
May 19th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Okay, I donno what's up with my laptop, but it loves me to pieces.

I just got a roughly 200 package dist-upgrade on my breezy install.. including all the gcc/c++ stuff people've been complaining about.. and all the new xorg stuff that's been breaking people's systems.

Rebooted...

Wait... Wait...
Flawless boot :)

C'mon! Break something Devs! :-P
- Kev

P.S.: I'm experiencing the Ctrl key weirdness but I don't consider that "broken" as it's not cripling.
How different is brezzy right now from 5.04 ?

kvidell
May 19th, 2005, 04:25 AM
How different is brezzy right now from 5.04 ?
CLI side... a bit... I haven't used my Hoary box's display since I set it up... It's just serving VMWare via X Forwarding and acting as a node on a render farm for my roommates here... Samba server for movies and music to the XBox too..
Hoary's been stable... nothing's gone wrong yet.. not even a little.

Breezy's had a few small hiccups so far but I think it's a great deal faster, what with the slightly newer packages and all.

When I get to vermont to visit Arthemys he and I are going to see how Breezy and Hoary act with custom compiled kernels (I'm going to redo the kernel on his R51(Hoary) and on my T42p(Breezy))... That'll be a fun write-up in my blog afterwards.

Speed is the only difference I notice, as nothing has broken for me yet (Though a lot of people are suffereing strange breaks...)
This was a good deal faster even when I ran gnome still compared to hoary with gnome..

Basic Non Fragmented Answer:
It's not that different, a little bit faster maybe. I'm not noticing any stability issues.

- Kev

az
May 19th, 2005, 05:42 AM
The colony 1 cd was released yesterday and that means that it is relatively free of really bad bugs.

They are in the process of switching to gcc4.0

Hang on! It will probably get really ugly....

kvidell
May 19th, 2005, 05:44 AM
The colony 1 cd was released yesterday and that means that it is relatively free of really bad bugs.

They are in the process of switching to gcc4.0

Hang on! It will probably get really ugly....
I hope so :) I like watching my computers break for whatever reason.
Mostly because it's fun to try to fix them and I learn more.
- Kev

bored2k
May 19th, 2005, 05:47 AM
I hope so :) I like watching my computers break for whatever reason.
Mostly because it's fun to try to fix them and I learn more.
- Kev
You are tempting me ..
You said the word learn.. that wakes me up big time..

That ain't right.. /me wants some !

kvidell
May 19th, 2005, 05:49 AM
You are tempting me ..
You said the word learn.. that wakes me up big time..
Is this a good thing? :-P
LEARN SOMETHING NEW LEARN LEARN
o.o; *coughs*

I don't see a reason not to use it, really. As long as you're at least savvy to basic concepts of repairing stuff through dpkg you should be alright... and know where to find different conf files.
Links/Lynx are godsends at that as well.
- K

bored2k
May 19th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Is this a good thing? :-P
LEARN SOMETHING NEW LEARN LEARN
o.o; *coughs*

I don't see a reason not to use it, really. As long as you're at least savvy to basic concepts of repairing stuff through dpkg you should be alright... and know where to find different conf files.
Links/Lynx are godsends at that as well.
- K
I think I'll give it a shot this weekend :D.

Lynx ? howcome :?

kvidell
May 19th, 2005, 05:53 AM
I think I'll give it a shot this weekend :D.

Lynx ? howcome :?
Apparently X is crapping out for some people. Unless you have a second box, lynx is your fix-finding buddy.
That's how I do it, anyway.
Though I have two boxes now and live-cd's coming out my ears.

bored2k
May 19th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Apparently X is crapping out for some people. Unless you have a second box, lynx is your fix-finding buddy.
That's how I do it, anyway.
Though I have two boxes now and live-cd's coming out my ears.
D'oh ! I'm out of Live discs ! *retreat retreat*

kvidell
May 19th, 2005, 05:58 AM
D'oh ! I'm out of Live discs ! *retreat retreat*
Not like they're terribly difficult to procure at this point.
How are you "out" of them? :-P
They make 80meg live CDs. It'll take a 3 minutes to download with a decent connection, 1 minute to burn.
Sure, that style wont be Ubuntu but it'll have MicroFox on it so you can browse the forum.
- K

bored2k
May 19th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Not like they're terribly difficult to procure at this point.
How are you "out" of them? :-P
They make 80meg live CDs. It'll take a 3 minutes to download with a decent connection, 1 minute to burn.
Sure, that style wont be Ubuntu but it'll have MicroFox on it so you can browse the forum.
- K
I dont like the idea of burning something I already have.. just so I can give it away :/

benplaut
May 19th, 2005, 08:04 AM
for rescue, and having a working system while X is broken, nothing beats Morphix LightGUI \\:D/