PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth prompts Indian fears

mips
February 5th, 2007, 09:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6331033.stm

EdThaSlayer
February 8th, 2007, 03:18 PM
If the terrorist was smart, he could notice that the blurred out area is a key government installation.
:popcorn:

MrHorus
February 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Old news, very old news.

Google Earth/Maps has been blurring things (especially US Government locations) on and off for ages.

jclmusic
February 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Old news, very old news.

Google Earth/Maps has been blurring things (especially US Government locations) on and off for ages.

yep. look up area 51 for a good example.

doobit
February 8th, 2007, 04:44 PM
My family's home, where I grew up, is blurred. That kind of freaks me out.

MrHorus
February 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
My family's home, where I grew up, is blurred. That kind of freaks me out.

Is it blurred through lack of resolution or deliberately and intentionally blocky like "sensitive installations" are?

ember
February 8th, 2007, 05:30 PM
My home was blurred for a long time, too - may be they wanted to protect the earth from the disastrous chaos on my desk ;)

prizrak
February 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Completely pointless. I took a GIS (Geographic Information Systems, one of the most obvious applications are Sat Nav systems) class in college and we used freely downloadable GIS maps from US geological satellites. They got IR views, night views, radar views, normal pictures (1meter resolution, you can see cars on them). This is all just on a website, no login/password required. In addition those maps have parcel information embedded into them so Google Maps is the LEAST of anyone's worries.

mips
February 8th, 2007, 11:47 PM
They got IR views, night views, radar views, normal pictures (1meter resolution, you can see cars on them). This is all just on a website, no login/password required.

You got a direct link to that page please ?

prizrak
February 9th, 2007, 12:34 AM
You got a direct link to that page please ?

Sorry but not anymore, it's been like 2 years since that class. I think if you Google for GIS satellite images you'll be able to find it.

PrinceArithon
February 9th, 2007, 06:48 AM
It's kinda funny how people get weird about things sometimes...for no good reason too...