PDA

View Full Version : Funny Linux-lover's moment

cdevilrun
February 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM
So I turned my girlfriend on to World of Warcraft last week.
Yesterday she goes out and buys her own copies of the core game and the expansion.

Now she has been using my laptop, which runs Ubuntu exclusively, for the last 8 months or so.
Her friend is staying with us, and has a Windows XP laptop with better hardware than mine.
In order for us to try playing together, we loaded WoW up on the Windows machine. After a slow load process, she sits down with the Windows machine to load up her character.

It's got lower resolution, less FPS and blue screens after about 10 minutes of play. I got to hear some sweet sweet words come out of the mouth of someone who could care less about F/OSS, "Grr, I HATE Windows!"

If only we could show more Windows users just how bad off they are...

sloggerkhan
February 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM
How horrible that it takes WoW, an unseemly blight upon mankind to, to turn someone on to Linux/F/OSS.

Seriously, I see people in at my college wasting their lives with WoW all the time. It's kind of sad.

Ferrat
February 5th, 2007, 09:19 PM
How horrible that it takes WoW, an unseemly blight upon mankind to, to turn someone on to Linux/F/OSS.

Seriously, I see people in at my college wasting their lives with WoW all the time. It's kind of sad.

More sad then just chating and surfing? more sad then just watching TV?
You just live once, you make your own choice what to make of your time and what every you pick it's not sad, playing fotball or any other activity isn't less or more sad than playing WoW and wasting life? what is the deffenision of wasting life? doing anything you don't see as fullfilling? Not taking the steps that you feel is needed for it to be a life? don't put your standards on others and think you are better than them just cause they don't go the same way as you.

As for turning ppl to linux, well games are what stops most ppl so if WoW starts working more stable on Linux and ppl turn to linux for that reason, why is that worse than turning cause MS and office costs so much?

But most likely it's her windows that's full of other things taking CPU and MEM, making WoW run smoother on Linux.

Sry for the negative tone but ppl that put their own standards on others and look down on them annoys me

IgnacioMiller
February 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I played WoW for a few months, and it was fun, but I moved away from it. I tried it, had fun with it and I don't consider that time a waste at all. As with anything else, you need to find a happy medium when it comes to what you do.

sloggerkhan
February 5th, 2007, 09:25 PM
*Shrugs* I don't deny that I apply some sort of standard to others. Who doesn't?
I just feel like I live on a campus with loads of people who could be out doing amazing creative things and instead they're spending 12 hours a day getting a paladin to level 65 or something.
I suppose I just don't really see how it's that fulfilling.

Hendrixski
February 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM
FOSS is not about hating windows, it's about loving freedom. Don't hate windows because it's crap or that it's slow. You should hate Microsoft because it promotes vendor lock-in, and has illegal monopolistic business practices, and perpetuates the myth that software should confine its user to the way the programmer sees fit.

And I'm with Slogerkhan: WoW and Evercrack are a waste of human life. When I was in College it was Counter-Strike, and I would see people skip class and never do homework because they would just go blam blam blam all day. then drop out of college to live with their parents indefinitely.

Get a real hobby. Start playing soccer! Learn to play tennis. Go to Sourceforge.net and find a software project that you find interesting and channel your creativity there. Or contribute to Wikipedia, or do volunteer work in Uganda. Anything, just not video games.

cdevilrun
February 5th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I agree, F/OSS is absolutely not about hating Windows. This is why I prefaced my girlfriend's statement with "could care less about F/OSS."

My point is that many of us use Linux, not only because it is in many ways superior, but because we are morally opposed to the way software and hardware are brought into the world commercially. My girlfriend, however, just wants her game to work. I don't think it's a stretch to say she represents most users. The PC is as ubiquitous as the toaster these days. Everyone has one. The way to convert more than just the "geeks" to Linux is not by appealing to their sense of moral duty.

The line is not "For just zero cents per day, you too can make a difference in this PC's life."
Until the consumer believes that the pain of Windows is alleviated by Linux, that they can do everything they want to do, and that they don't have to be "techie" to get it, there will be no "Year of Desktop Linux".

The fact that World of Warcraft was the catalyst for her epiphany does not really make a difference.

On a side note: People who fail college do not do so because they spend all their time playing video games, they do so because college is not their top priority. It is possible to be a video game hobbyist AND a successful person.

Jarn
February 5th, 2007, 11:04 PM
"Grr, I HATE Windows!"Marry her. ;)

Vomit-Orchestra
February 6th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Oh, I agree with Jarn!
One of the HUGE reasons why I went to linux in the first place.
A) Windows is annoying.
B) No way in hell am I using a Mac.

glotz
February 6th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Marry her. ;)
:lolflag:

sympeltun
February 6th, 2007, 03:26 AM
:lolflag:

LOL LOL

I'm not a hater but i prefer ubuntu more than windows. but unfortunately end up using it nonetheless sometimes because of school work...

cdevilrun
February 6th, 2007, 07:47 PM
What do you need Windows for for school symp?

Ferrat
February 6th, 2007, 10:57 PM
And I'm with Slogerkhan: WoW and Evercrack are a waste of human life. When I was in College it was Counter-Strike, and I would see people skip class and never do homework because they would just go blam blam blam all day. then drop out of college to live with their parents indefinitely.

Get a real hobby. Start playing soccer! Learn to play tennis. Go to Sourceforge.net and find a software project that you find interesting and channel your creativity there. Or contribute to Wikipedia, or do volunteer work in Uganda. Anything, just not video games.

So in your mind it would be more ok if they played anything that you would prefer?
Weird how a person that yourself that say playing video games is a waste of human life but sitting the same amount of time infront of thousands of lines of code is worth more?
And if it's about interaction with ppl, well most ppl playing WoW probably interact with more ppl than you everyday if not physical, but do you have to be in the same room as someone to have fun with them?
Can't you have a active and interactive contact with a friend via an IM service that is still giving, just because that person might live to far away but still has the same intressts as you?

sorry I know this is very OT but this mentality is.. well I'll compair it to the OS world to keep in the spirit of this thread. The mentality is much as that of Microsoft, you can do what you want, as long as you do it our way and no other, if not then you should be crushed cause your a waste of our space.

LordFu
February 7th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Here's an idea. How about the guys complaining that gaming is a waste of time not post in the gaming forum? Radical, I know.

sloggerkhan
February 7th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I don't hate gaming. I play games on occasion. I just think subscription based MM gaming is generally not a good thing.

cdevilrun
February 7th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Yeargh. I wasn't going to get in to this discussion, because at the start of the post all I really wanted to do was spread the Linux love. I think it's hikaricore whose sig has P.L.U.R. in it. I like that sentiment, and it certainly was the first time I made the scene-F/OSS connection.

But come on, posting about how you don't think video games are a good use of time in a gaming forum? And what is it about a subscription that makes the game less of a "good thing"? I've bought 12 packs that cost more than my monthly WoW fee. I have a way to defrag after work all month for $13. So I could see a movie -by myself- once, have dinner -by myself- once, go mini-golfing -by myself- once... or I could play WoW all month with many real life, and several virtual, friends. Also, there is no real "end" to the game. As long as you're still enjoying the format, there's more to entertain you.

And again, "Yay! My girlfriend learned how cool Linux is!"

Jarn
February 9th, 2007, 04:53 AM
And again, "Yay! My girlfriend learned how cool Linux is!"And again, "Marry her". :P