PDA

View Full Version : Dual booting OS X and Mac

the.dark.lord
February 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I recently brought a new Intel iMac, and wasn't impressed with OS X- Apple isn't that cool. I have the 64 bit version of Ubuntu which is meant for this, and the liveCD works fine except for sound. I got BootCamp too. But, I couldn't get to figure out how to dual boot 'em.

galvatron1983
February 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Im a big fan of OS X and use it with Kubuntu to get everything I want from an OS. The eye candy and gleam of OS X with the open source free software philosohpy of Kubuntu/Ubuntu. With both installed I have the best of both worlds. Keep at OS X and Im sure youll agree its a better OS then Win XP/Vista.

the.dark.lord
February 6th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Im a big fan of OS X and use it with Kubuntu to get everything I want from an OS. The eye candy and gleam of OS X with the open source free software philosohpy of Kubuntu/Ubuntu. With both installed I have the best of both worlds. Keep at OS X and Im sure youll agree its a better OS then Win XP/Vista.

I like OS X much better than all Windows versions already. But Ubuntu always feels like home. How about telling me how you dual booted 'em?

Donnut
February 7th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Just read how to triple-boot, and leave out windows. I am eventually going to do it on my macbook, but am waiting as it appears you have to use LILO or the patched version of grub to boot. Anyone else have experiance with this? Can you just use rEFIt? I already have my partitions made up...

phersotty
February 7th, 2007, 03:04 AM
This guide works on the Macbook. http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp_Ubuntu

The above guide will get Ubuntu on a Macbook at least.

I just sold my Intel Macbook. I had it about 6 mos and did a lot of configurations. I've done the triple boot osX/xp/ubuntu and osX/VistaBeta/ubuntu. Sabayonlinux also works really well on the macbook too and uses grub so I know lilo is not the only option anymore. There is probably a Ubuntu guide for using grub out there somewhere.

Donnut
February 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
http://bin-false.org/?p=17

This is the walkthrough I will use.

MaXqUE
February 8th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Interesting that you 've askead the question. Actually, I've at one time or other had Llinx on all of my Macs. Even the Old World Macs where you had to have a minimal Mac OS system to boot strap the Linux kernel.

Its much easier now with the new Intel bios replacement. Somewhere you many even find code in Linux written by develpers paid by Apple. After all they did partialy sponsor the development of MKLinux so that Linux would run on their older Motoroala 68000 computers.

Cheers,
MaXqUE