PDA

View Full Version : No amd64 notebooks with Geforce graphics cards???

NoTiG
May 18th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Has anyone else noticed there arent ANY amd64 notebooks with Geforce graphics?? there are a bunch with ATI but no geforce :/

poofyhairguy
May 19th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Has anyone else noticed there arent ANY amd64 notebooks with Geforce graphics?? there are a bunch with ATI but no geforce :/

That is a shame. Oh well, 64 bit computing is currently unneeded by most people anyway.

arbearce
May 19th, 2005, 02:45 PM
My Compaq r3000 laptop has a AMD64 with a Gforce 440 go in it. Try looking at compaq. Back before I graduated I use to work in Retail and it seemed that most Compaq laptops with AMD processors had Gforce video chips in them.

Though I think I read somewhere that ATI came out with better AMD64 chipsets or something so that may be why there are not many Nvidia chips in laptops anymore. You have to remember most of these companies are out to make money and if ATI sells thiers cheaper, well they will go with the cheaper stuff.

Hieronymus
June 2nd, 2005, 11:32 AM
The HP Pavilion zv5133ea has got a GeForce4 440 Go 64M card in it. (its a amd64 3000+ machine)

kvidell
June 2nd, 2005, 11:35 AM
AMD64s? Those must run a teensie bit warm..

Those aren't computers you leave on your lap, are they?
- Kev

NoTiG
June 2nd, 2005, 11:07 PM
Those aren't computers you leave on your lap, are they?

not unless you have cold balls. They are designed as desktop replacements, although the battery life is pretty good (mine gets 2 hours) . THey are more efficient than Pentiums.

I found out why there arent many laptops with geforce cards btw... its because the newer pci express... and pci express uses 30% more power.

blinksilver
June 3rd, 2005, 06:21 AM
not true at all my m6805 (under window) using RMclock basically works fanless, sure it is a bit warm, but it is on my lap now and all is well, with the same app on AC mode i get the thing to work with the fan on less the 1/4 of the time....

and the ati drivers are not so bad, UT and Doom3 run nice enough that i am happy under linux