PDA

View Full Version : Things I would like to see in future Ubuntu releases

ade234uk
February 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM
All the people in Ubuntu that contribute their time, let me say thank you very much for anoutstanding distro.

You know the only things I would like to see happen to make Linux totally complete, and I know some of these projects are out of their hands

Better detection of wireless network cards.
Better detection of screen resolutions
And that old chestnut, Graphics card driver.

These have got to be the most common problems faced by newbies and sometimes most frustrating.

When I installed Ubuntu on my laptop it found everything apart from the wireless and the screen resolution.

I should not complain, Windows does not even come with these drivers as standard and you rely on drivers.

What I still cannot understand is why Wireless card manufacturers will not release drivers for Wireless cards. They are so bloody stupid.
Why cant a company produce a wireless network card exclusively for Linux inc drivers, or is their no market for this?

Brainfart
February 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM
This is very nearly a dupe of this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=353222). Anyways...

Since Linux users are still a very small (nigh unnoticeable) portion of the consumer market, the cost of developing drivers is probably not profitable enough for companies to consider. Why they don't release specs, on the other hand, is something to question.