PDA

View Full Version : Coop ideas for Computer Science Majors

randomnumber
February 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for coop opportunities for computer science majors. My major has concentrated on Java but we have gone into other languages (C, 8086 assembly, etc), I am having a hard time coming up with anything that I would want to do. Do not ask what I want to do, I do not know. I live in the FL panhandle (Pensacola) and positions closer would be more likely. I think I would like to try something that did not require a PC, as in something that would be more like robotics. I just think that I would feel more accomplishment from getting things to do more than change pixels on a screen and take mouse/keyboard input.

Our area is mostly retired military and old folks. It is kinda like God's waiting room, no offense. It has what you would expect of a retired military community. Its' nice and slow, pay is low. The only tech jobs are some contracts for military and IHMC. There is Eglin Air Force Base which has some neat things going on but that seems to most hardware(more CE and EE area).

I think that a coop is a good idea in that I can enter the workforce with experience and I would actually be entering the workforce before I get my degree. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

FYI,
Coop is like a internship with more requirements.
CS = computer science
CE = computer engineering
EE = electrical engineering

saulgoode
February 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Have you looked into Google's Summer Of Code (http://code.google.com/soc/)? It is not really "hands-on" but it pays students $4500 for successfully completed projects and while it is for the most part directly computer-related, there are some unique projects such as coding for the NASA's Mars Rover (you can also propose your own project ideas). Your location might offer some unique opportunities for getting a project approved.

randomnumber
February 6th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Thanks I will look into that. Just from what I looked at the argoUML looks to be cool. It gained my attention from having our school mascot, Argo. It is in Java and UML is something I have a little experience with.

I want to have real world work experience and a coop or internship seems to do best for that. I think I want the experience of working for a company in my field. Any further ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks again