PDA

View Full Version : Rappelz

jcquik
February 5th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Has anyone even tried using a free game called Rappelz in Ubuntu? If not, i'm going to give it a shot. The game to me feels like guild wars but you can see everyone even when you leave towns or join parties. you can find Rappelz here --> http://www.gpotato.com/

other cool games they have at gpotato are Flyff and Space Cowboy Online.

jcquik
February 6th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Well....no good news on this one. i tried using wine to install and it did complete the install. Only problem is now....it will not download the updates for the game. i'm going to try either manually updating the game or just copy the files from the windows partition. anyone tried this?

bahdom
February 17th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Im trying it out too. Just installed it and, as you said, downloads wouldnt start. Trying manual update too =]

Tell me if it worked out for you.

jcquik
February 18th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Im trying it out too. Just installed it and, as you said, downloads wouldnt start. Trying manual update too =]

Tell me if it worked out for you.

no luck man. i even tried virtualbox but i don't think virtualbox is designed for playing games on. let me know what you find out. i love rappelz....flyff too.

cjr2k3
February 21st, 2007, 12:24 AM
Had any luck? Im going to Download the game and see if i can add something to the subject :)

jcquik
February 21st, 2007, 10:50 PM
no updates. i'm trying out the new Beta 6 for Mepis because i could never get the CVS cedega script to install on ubuntu but it installed completely on Mepis. patrick295767 made the script and i found it on these forums. Hope to find out if it works tonight. It will be cool if it works and I can create my 1st "How to" :)

justin whitaker
February 21st, 2007, 10:59 PM
I just finished downloading the game. I will try it with Crossover, and with Cedega, let you know if it works.

justin whitaker
February 22nd, 2007, 06:40 AM
UPDATE:

Cedega 5.2.10 will install the game, but once you try to run it, the login screen is completely blank. So it's absolutely useless.

justin whitaker
February 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
Update 2:

Wine 9.31 loads the login screen, but will not update. It also hardlocked my system....I'm thinking it's one of those weird games that requires IE to be installed for rendering the login and updates.

Did anyone install IE4Linux and see if it worked?

jcquik
February 27th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Did anyone install IE4Linux and see if it worked?

yup....tried that too. It wants to use active x i think.

sneaks
March 12th, 2007, 12:33 AM
It wants to use the Mozilla Active X control. I have tried installed firefox and mozilla in cedega but it still won't work. You can download Mozilla Active X control from here http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm but I can't find the .bin files it wants for mozilla.

jcquik
March 12th, 2007, 04:19 AM
It wants to use the Mozilla Active X control. I have tried installed firefox and mozilla in cedega but it still won't work. You can download Mozilla Active X control from here http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm but I can't find the .bin files it wants for mozilla.

cool...thx man. i'll give it one more shot with this.

sneaks
March 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Another thing I am going to try is Crossover and install Firefox and IE and see if that works. I know you said you would try virtualbox. What was the maximun mb you could set the video memory too?

sneaks
March 12th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I just used Crossover and it installed fine and when I started it the update manager actually loaded and it updated but when I click start game it doesn't seem like its doing anything. I don't know if it takes a long time to load in Crossover but I know it is still running b/c I can look at my processes running and I see it.

Iarwain ben-adar
March 21st, 2007, 10:26 PM
Bumpie?

Iarwain

jcquik
March 22nd, 2007, 11:03 PM
...I know you said you would try virtualbox. What was the maximun mb you could set the video memory too?

8 mb was max for video memory.

masterch
April 8th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Easy, What you need to do in order to run rappelz is to install the ActiveX controls, because it need it to execute the launch.exe aplication.

So you can look for this file MozillaControl177.exe and installed it on the same folder where you are installing rappelz... Before install you will need to coppy your Mozilla Firefox folder to:
$\\ c_drive/Program Files/ because the activex installation will ask for it.

The bad think about all this workarround is that after you install all this the game will not start because it has some cand of protection and you will be stuck on the welcome screen with a bar geting some updates...

I hope this will help you, and some one will find a resolve for thi other stuff...

FragOnly
May 4th, 2007, 04:16 AM
The bad think about all this workarround is that after you install all this the game will not start because it has some cand of protection and you will be stuck on the welcome screen with a bar geting some updates...

I hope this will help you, and some one will find a resolve for thi other stuff...

Rappelz uses HackShield Pro (google hackshield if you want to see their page). HackShield is not loaded until after the update launcher (red button that you click to start the game), on windows you will see a nice little hackshield pro logo when it begins to load, at this point hackshield will load a bunch of custom dlls and remap some api's to protect its self, change many permisions so on.

Anyway, if your having problems before you click the red button to launch the game, then its not HackShield relate (and yes the game does use imbeded IE, for update, ingame stores, and a few other panels).

You can by pass the launcher by launching the game its self, but it requires a somewhat long command line.

I've heard reports of people getting the updater/launcher fully working, but once they launch the game they get a blank/black/white screen where the login screen should be, thus making the game useless.

That being said, I don't think this game will be supported by any flavour due to its intensive protection system, of course if some very popular games suddenly started using HackShield im sure this would change very fast ;)

http://transgaming.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6410
a very short forum stating games that use hackshield are not supported under cedega.

nimirooyn
August 4th, 2007, 11:23 PM

dude, the mozilla addup is for the 1.5... i have the 2.0.
got anything better?

nimirooyn
August 10th, 2007, 08:12 AM
anyone found a solution?

I really need to stop using my mams pc cause I prefer the Linux on the "other guy"
and I can't cause i have no way of operating games...

Faud
September 26th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Anyone able to figure away to get hackshield working ?

nimirooyn
October 5th, 2007, 09:06 AM
same question here...
still working on it but if someone already found a way I'll be more then pleased...

ionredline
October 13th, 2007, 03:42 PM
This is actually a really cool game. It's almost exactly like Lineage 2 - but FREE!!

However, a funny thing I've come across, is that even some windows users cannot get the game to even work for them as well. Those that I've talked to regarding this are Vista users.

nimirooyn
October 14th, 2007, 08:39 PM
already found a way of working it in the vista arena...
works fine.

but I want to play it in the linux sys so I can injoy all worlds.

SaMuRaI_777
October 22nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
I may be wrong, but doesn't Silk road use hackshield as well, and that could be run with wine?
http://www.cedega.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6410

And Nostale also has Ie's in game and it runs fine...
so where did I go wrong? :confused:

warmfreeze
November 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM
i didn't have any problems with the launcher using cedega ..nor updating ..everything went smoothly untill i launched the program in the launcher ..the splash screen for hackshield comes up and then i get an error that says "cannot load hackshield engine" so even in the best case scenario it still wont work ..also tried in crossover and i get the same result.

escobar_
November 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Has anyone been able to run this game?

nimirooyn
November 20th, 2007, 09:33 PM
nop..
still trying my *** off..

ionredline
November 25th, 2007, 02:37 AM
The really sad thing - is this game is the only reason I keep a windows partition... lol

nimirooyn
January 4th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I'm with you on that...
moreover, i talked to their tech support and they say that the game works best with the XP... when i told them that i think the HACK shield they told me that it's too bed and that theirs no why to play without it.

LetMeSitOnYourFace
February 21st, 2008, 01:42 AM
Hey I am running Fedora 8 for i86x64amd and using crossover for windows emulation. So far I can't get rappelz to update with the launcher it only loads a window with scroll bars and a close button at the top and shows the rappelz news on the left and other things. I have installed IE 6 with crossover and directX 9 with crossover and still nothing.

going to try on saturday to get the update and do it manualy and also see about installing active X.

Alegrya
May 29th, 2008, 11:09 AM
bugger that none of you could get this working, I so miss gaming since moving exclusively to using an Ubuntu system.

used to be a Guild Wars player, has anybody got that working nicely under wine?

kazuya
May 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I feel your pain. Rappelz like 2 moons and many of these other korean f2p games tend to use gameguard or some security application belonging to a company called GameH, if Im not mistaken. The app is really bad and very unsecure. As such, it is not designed to work in the WINE emulation world. For the most part I dual boot just to play those games and then give up on them after a while.

My favorite right now is 2moons. If u ignore the bots and ads sometimes, the game is awesome for pvp, pve, etc. It is a martial arts based type game, but I am yet to find another f2p game as good as it. I know folks who tried rappelz and like it also.

A better game to try that may work in Wine is Requiem: Bloodymare Open Beta RequiemOBTClient. I'm asking in forum on who has gotten it to work.

If those games leave out gameguard, the game would run flawlessly on the linux system also.
One gripe with it is that it may be gory.

Nrlegend
August 28th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hayy guyz try using WINE and then installing, virtual pc 2007 at the windows website that might work imma try it and then tell you iight!?:wink:

zymjh
November 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Bump

poisonkiller
November 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hayy guyz try using WINE and then installing, virtual pc 2007 at the windows website that might work imma try it and then tell you iight!?:wink:
Does Virtual PC 2007 support DirectX (9.0)? If not, then your idea won't work. As long as GameGuard doesn't add support for WINE (which it probably won't), we won't be able to play any games using GameGuard.

ionredline
October 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Bump