PDA

View Full Version : Vista-style taskbar preview thumbnails to become available via. plugin to Beryl users

Old Pink
February 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8276968601342553636

Thought you lot out there would be interested in this... looks nice. :)

macogw
February 4th, 2007, 05:34 PM
hehe i forgot about those cuz i dont minimize to the taskbar (i minimize to nothing) and was thinking "that already shows when you alt+tab... but i get it now. cool

Tomosaur
February 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM
They're already there :/

negated
February 4th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I just got the 0.1.9999.1 beryl upgrade the other night, and it was already turned on by default. The only thing is that if you minimize the window to the task bar, the preview is really blurry, but if the window is on the desktop, the preview is really nice.

S

kevinf311
February 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah, the live thumbnails are nice, especially with movies.

When my windows are minimized the thumbnail is upside down though :p I think it might be the blinds effect that I use for minimizing. My thumbnails are equally clear though (albeit upside down), but I have the blur effect turned off.

Oh, and are the 1.9999.1 updates stable now? I downloaded them when they came out and it broke Beryl something awful, I had to go back and force 1.99.2

~LoKe
February 4th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Annoyed the crap out of me. I know what's going on in my windows, I don't need previews.

ButteBlues
February 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM
The plugin was written a while back actually. It was only just recently moved into Beryl's trunk.

It's available for Compiz too, but it won't be moved into trunk until libwnck et al are patched upstream to make this plugin work, as we refuse to patch things that critical for a plugin.

FuturePilot
February 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I just updated to 0.2.0 last night and when I saw those thumbnail previews I almost feel out of the chair:lolflag: Who needs Vista for eye candy?

Sammi
February 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I like this. I am trying it out right now, and I find it to actually be a practical and useful feature in contrast to many of Beryl/Compiz's features, that are pure eye-candy and bloat. Sometimes you've had your computer running for a while and you've opened many windows, and well, I for one tend to forget where the windows are. This helps finding old windows more quickly :D

To bad the preview gets blurry when the window is minimized.

SunnyRabbiera
February 4th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I think someone might cook something like this, but I am wondering if this can be done without the need of beryl

Waappu
February 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Hi

I like that plugin. But how I can disable window list tooltip and keep other tooltips e.g. launchers??

k@y@
February 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Yes we now have a window preview feature so how can i disable this yellow tooltip thing which is showed when you hold your mouse on a title in bottom panel?
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/2786/ekrangrntsid4.th.png (http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ekrangrntsid4.png)

prizrak
February 28th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Interesting that it has been posted 3 weeks ago as it has worked for over a month already....

k@y@
February 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Yes, i decided to post here instead of open a new thread :)

So how can i disable it?

kevinf311
February 28th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I took the easy way out. I figured that disabling the alt-text windows that come up would disable them everywhere.

So instead I went to Extras >> Window Thumbnails >> Taskbar and chose to have the thumbnail always on top. This lets the thumbnail be unobstructed by the alt-text.

There is probably a more graceful way to do this, like only disabling the alt-text for the window bar panel, but this was a quick fix that gave me the results I desired. Hope this helps!

k@y@
March 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM
So instead I went to Extras >> Window Thumbnails >> Taskbar and chose to have the thumbnail always on top. This lets the thumbnail be unobstructed by the alt-text.Nice trick :) Thanks for this. I can use it with this way. Thanks again.

airtonix
April 14th, 2007, 04:13 PM
yeah its annoying ... so i tried to turn it off i dont want thumbnails i have it in the expose style implmentation of switch windows from all workspaces...

but it wont use the settings ive chosen.....i dont want thumbnails...

but it gives me thumbnails popups when i mouse over the titlebars of windows or icons in taskbar(which i dont have cause i use the drop down window list)