PDA

View Full Version : Custom Fork of Ubuntu?

zeroblitzt
February 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Hello,

I am looking to customize Ubuntu for a private online community I attend. By customize, I mean trim down a bunch of programs included from the get-go, and add some programs I feel could benefit users. But after googling extensively, I have found no sure-fire tips on how to even begin a fork of a distro. Am I in way over my head here?

koenn
February 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Am I in way over my head here?
If you have to ask, you probably are.

First, try to define what exactly it is you want to do (make a list of all the things you want different ), then what each of those items, find out what would be required to accomplish it. It will ghive you an idea of what you need in terms of skills and knwoledge to pull this of, and you can judge for yourself wheter you could do it or not.

Or find someone at other "customized/ derived distro's" and ask how they did it and what it involves (Ubuntu Christian, Ubuntu Satanic, ...)

Kateikyoushi
February 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I think Satanic is "just" artwork, by the way I do not think it is so difficult but do not really see why couldn't be done after an ubuntu install.
You should give more info about what exactly you want.

zekopeko
February 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM
try this: http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/

zeroblitzt
February 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Satanic IS just artwork/themes (just saw it).

zeroblitzt
February 4th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Reconstructor seems alright, but it only makes LiveCD's, no?

Hex_Mandos
February 4th, 2007, 10:54 PM
You can also try Ubuntu Customization Kit (http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/uck/trunk/uck/docs/index.html).

Keep in mind that what you'd be doing woulnd't be a 'fork', since you'd still be using the Ubuntu repos. It's more like a custom installation of Ubuntu. I'm in the process of learning to make my own "distro", mostly for promotional purposes (besides adding a few tweaks and graphics).

sicofante
February 5th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I've been reading a bit on their forums (I love the idea) and it seems you get both a customised LiveCD and final install, so it might work for you. I also will try and customise Ubuntu for me, my family and my customers some time in the future, but I want to gain some experience with Ubuntu's defaults first.

zeroblitzt
February 5th, 2007, 12:54 AM
You can also try Ubuntu Customization Kit (http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/uck/trunk/uck/docs/index.html).

Keep in mind that what you'd be doing woulnd't be a 'fork', since you'd still be using the Ubuntu repos. It's more like a custom installation of Ubuntu. I'm in the process of learning to make my own "distro", mostly for promotional purposes (besides adding a few tweaks and graphics).

Yeah, excuse my use of the word "fork", its really the only thing that came to mind to easily describe this.

zekopeko
February 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM

i think it make a complete install/livecd.

like ubuntu but with programs you need/like.