PDA

View Full Version : Just a shot in the dark...

Adamant1988
February 3rd, 2007, 08:52 PM
I was wondering, if perhaps, anyone would like to consider collaborating on a website with me for Linux. I've got the ideas for what I want in place, but I really don't have the kind of experience it would take to put something like this together, perhaps I should explain my idea a little though.

I am a big advocate of the whole "social computing" idea, tagging, rating and so forth, and I believe that a website that utilizes the whole "social computing" idea could be very beneficial to Linux users, particularly in the area of purchasing hardware, selecting a distribution, and so forth.

The Idea:
The short version is that there would be an area where you could link to the hardware you purchased, insert the actual name for the product, and so forth, and then would be able to review how well this equipment did (or didn't do) with your linux distribution. (I was thinking that a multi-faceted rating system that rated things like "installation", "driver compatibility", etc. would be best so user's could see where this products weakest points were. A text review could also be used to describe with some amount of detail about the product's strong and weak points working with the user's Linux distribution.

By categorizing by distribution, by product type (Laptop, Scanner, webcam, printer, so on) users would be able to help other users build a list of hardware that is Linux compatible, friendly, and (for the most part) plug-n-play. The major goal here is to have a working, constantly updating list of the most Linux friendly hardware so that user's can quickly, easily, find something that meets their needs.

This same theory could even be applied to Linux distributions, for reviews, and so forth that are "By the users, for the users". Eventually, given any real success the site could expand to encompass other areas that would be important to Linux users so that they could select Linux and OSS friendly products, and services. Perhaps this kind of collective shopping idea could be used to put leverage on companies like HP and DELL to show them that there is money to be made in releasing the necessary drivers to make their hardware work on Linux.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, it's just an idea, would you guys say that something like this would be worth my time to pursue or am I better off putting my efforts elsewhere?

grte
February 3rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
I don't have the skills necessary to actually help with such a project, but I think it's a great idea. That would definately be worth pursuing.

Choad
February 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
isnt there already a few of these up and runing?

Adamant1988
February 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
isnt there already a few of these up and runing?

If you find one, let me know. Honestly I have been looking for any kind of a review on how my laptop, printer, webcam, and scanner would work under any linux distribution, with very limited success.

Most of the sites I found concerning my printer were old, and didn't seem to be completely accurate. There was next to no information about how linux compatible my laptop would be, and my scanner was in the same boat as the printer. The closest thing I've ever been able to find to this idea is a "Hardware compatibility list" that most distributions keep on their forums/website somewhere. Honestly, these lists don't seem to be updated enough, and really only include a name. What I'm talking about here is "A picture, a paragraph, and a rating".

adam.tropics
February 3rd, 2007, 09:37 PM
What I'm talking about here is "A picture, a paragraph, and a rating".

Everything except the photo...

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

Adamant1988
February 3rd, 2007, 09:43 PM
I wonder how I missed this...