PDA

View Full Version : Is this an error ?

harishg
February 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
I had three icons on my desktop.One to the windows drive,one was a link to a mp3 file and the other is a deb package.Last night I felt sleepy while watching a movie and just shut down the computer without removing the dvd. In the morning when I started my machine,I saw the link of the mp3file and dvd superimposed on each other.Not sure if this would qualify as an error.I do not even know which category it might belong to.I have attached a screenshot.

Adamant1988
February 3rd, 2007, 08:55 PM
I've seen that before, it's just the icons overlapping.. just move them or sort them and it'll be fine.

raublekick
February 3rd, 2007, 08:59 PM
no error, just the crappy way that the icons get drawn on the dektop. happens a lot with removable drives.

my guess is that when a removable media is inserted, it gets placed at the end of the icons that are on your desktop. when you put a file there, however, it just gets assigned a static spot. now, somewhere when metacity is loading after you log in, i guess it gets the removable media first, and puts it on the desktop, and then gets the files that are already there. the static files get stuck right on top of the media icons because that is where they are supposed to be.

i could be completely wrong, but that's how i always think of it. regardless, you can move those icons around.

Gerard Barberi
February 3rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
Right click on the desktop, There's an option like "align to grid". If you check it, it should align all icons on the desktop. If unchecked, you can move icons anywhere and stack them on top of one another. I think Gnome just sorted all your icons like a grid, but neglected the mounted drive. Mine does it too (well used to, I removed all icons)