PDA

View Full Version : Clock syncronisation...

renedox
May 18th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I have turned off the clock syncronisation thing but still, everytime ubuntu starts up, it tries to syncronise the clock. I am on dial up so, it takes ages for it to time out.

May I ask why this feature is turned on by default? I find it really annoying :S

Is there anyway I can turn this feature off and have it stay off?

lao_V
May 18th, 2005, 11:18 AM
How did you go about disabling this before?

You can skip a boot-up service temporarily by pressing Ctrl-C or to remove it permanently type
sudo chmod -x /etc/init.d/ntpdate

jdong
May 18th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Should be common sense, but if you want to re-enable it, replace "-x" with "+x" ;-)

nocturn
May 18th, 2005, 02:04 PM
or

install rcconf (sudo aptitude install rcconf)

And disable/enable it from there.

SNo0py
May 18th, 2005, 03:07 PM
How did you go about disabling this before?

You can skip a boot-up service temporarily by pressing Ctrl-C or to remove it permanently type
sudo chmod -x /etc/init.d/ntpdate
Why not removing all rc-links in the rc-levels? Isn't that the nicer solution?

nocturn
May 18th, 2005, 04:05 PM
That's what rcconf does...

lao_V
May 18th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Why not removing all rc-links in the rc-levels? Isn't that the nicer solution?

I haven't used rcconf so not sure how it works. Usually with linux, there's more then one way of doing things. Changing the permission obviously doesn't delete the link which is handy when you want to enable that service again.

tread
May 18th, 2005, 04:24 PM
There is also Ubuntu Bootup Manager which can be found under 3rd party projects on this same forum.

renedox
May 19th, 2005, 03:02 AM
There is also Ubuntu Bootup Manager which can be found under 3rd party projects on this same forum.
Thanks for the help.

A friend actually setup my ubuntu and turned off the clock syncronisation for me, I don't know how he did it. When I told him that it has come back, he didn't know what to do because he uses gentoo...

jdong
May 19th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Try the Ubuntu Bootup Manager mentioned, or any of the other methods mentioned here. They all work.

More proof that just because he went through Gentoo install hell doesn't mean he's an automatic Linux guru ;)