PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried this?

Malta paul
February 3rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
I am sure our maths experts know how this works I assume as no actual numbers are inputed it uses probability ? It is amazingly accurate :confused:
http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/games/magic-gopher-central.swf

mcduck
February 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
The amount of possible numbers you can have in the end is small, and the symbols in the table change every time so that all possible numbers you can have got same symbol. :D

beercz
February 3rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
When you have done the calculation, the digits in the number you have left add up to 9. In the table of symbols, all the numbers whose digits add up to 9 have the same symbol.

The maximum number you can think of is 99 (2 digits), less 18 is 81 (8 and 1 add up to 9), therefore the symbols for the numbers upwards of 82 are probably just randomized.

Similarly, the minimum number you can think of is 10, which leaves 9 when the calculation is done, therefore the symbols for numbers less than 9 are also probably randomized.

Lux Perpetua
February 3rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
When you have done the calculation, the digits in the number you have left add up to 9. In the table of symbols, all the numbers whose digits add up to 9 have the same symbol.

The maximum number you can think of is 99 (2 digits), less 18 is 81 (8 and 1 add up to 9), therefore the symbols for the numbers upwards of 82 are probably just randomized.

Similarly, the minimum number you can think of is 10, which leaves 9 when the calculation is done, therefore the symbols for numbers less than 9 are also probably randomized.Right. Your original number is 10*x + y, where x & y are the digits. (My number was 65, so x = 6, y = 5.) You then subtract the sum of the digits, which is x + y. That leaves you with 10*x + y - x - y = 9*x, which is a multiple of 9. If you look at all the symbols, you'll see that all the multiples of 9 are given the same symbol. It doesn't involve any probability (that is to say, the probability of choosing the right symbol is 100%).

slimdog360
February 3rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
it was wrong, no wait it may have been right I was looking at something else. Yep it was right.