PDA

View Full Version : UBeryl~Ubuntu Live CD with Beryl preinstalled!...(link translated by Google)

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 08:32 AM
I have not tried this out but for those who want Ubuntu with Beryl preinstalled on a live CD here is your answer, UBeryl!

http://pollolinux.blogia.com/upload/img-logo.png (http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://pollolinux.blogia.com/&prev=/search%3Fq%3DUBERYL%26hl%3Den)
Uberyl runs beryl in Livecd with graphical Cards Intel, specially in portable, for other graphical cards with propietary software, (Nvidia and Ati), to install drivers from Automatix and to form them.
Uberyl runs beryl in Livecd with graphical Cards Intel, specially in laptops, graphical for others cards with propietary software, (Nvidia and Ati), to install drivers from Automatix and to form them.
Marco A.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://pollolinux.blogia.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DUBERYL%26hl%3Den

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
I am downloading the Alpha ISO now...

download here:

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/299864/uberyl_alpha.iso

Tux Aubrey
February 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks for this RT. This will be great for doing demos (if it works!)

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks for this RT. This will be great for doing demos (if it works!)

lets hope it works....16% into my download now.

manmower
February 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=349869.

3rdalbum
February 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Err... that picture is a Macbook running Mac OS!

yigal.weinstein
February 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Beryl is soooo easy to install using the beryl wiki or Ubuntu's wiki. I don't understand why it must be preinstalled? What I would suggest is a script that could run and determine if Beryl could run on a computer. The script would install if it could determine that the graphics card could support Beryl or the user insisted that it be installed. It should be basically a virtual package. I don't see why this couldn't exist. I believe the repos. would have to be changed but as far as I am aware that is about the extent of the changes necessary.

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Beryl is soooo easy to install using the beryl wiki or Ubuntu's wiki. I don't understand why it must be preinstalled? What I would suggest is a script that could run and determine if Beryl could run on a computer. The script would install if it could determine that the graphics card could support Beryl or the user insisted that it be installed. It should be basically a virtual package. I don't see why this couldn't exist. I believe the repos. would have to be changed but as far as I am aware that is about the extent of the changes necessary.
I think the point here is to have a live CD of Ubuntu with Beryl preinstalled for demonstration purposes.

WinterWeaver
February 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks !!! Please keep us posted. Unfortunately I can't download it now, I used too much of my Internet Cap this month already... >.<

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks !!! Please keep us posted. Unfortunately I can't download it now, I used too much of my Internet Cap this month already... >.<

Burning the UBeryl CD now with K3B.

Tux Aubrey
February 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Its working for me - out of the box! Very cool for demonstrating capabilities on my laptop without having to jeopardise a stable work setup. Pretty blue!

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Its working for me - out of the box! Very cool for demonstrating capabilities on my laptop without having to jeopardise a stable work setup. Pretty blue!
just completed my burn going to try it now

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Its working for me - out of the box! Very cool for demonstrating capabilities on my laptop without having to jeopardise a stable work setup. Pretty blue!ok I just tried to boot to Uberyl on my primary computer...wouldn't boot, but no surprise there since neither will Ubuntu or Debian....I will try on my computer I run Ubuntu on later....

euki
February 3rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
I would really love to try this one, but Im not able to download it from that gigasharesomething place - stops at about 50% and thats all. Isnt there any other site/ftp/torrent from where to download uberyl? Google didnt help. Euki

staib
February 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Well the d/l was quite slow, but I got there. BUT I have now burned the iso to a CD (twice) with KD3 and it just won't boot :( (The PC is set to boot from the CD first).

Anyone else having success or problems like this?

Cheers,

Nick

staib
February 3rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
I just re-tried and noted the error message on trying to boot from this CD...

Isolinux Disk error 32, AX=428, drive 9F

Not 100% sure what that means - any suggestions appreciated.

staib
February 3rd, 2007, 06:53 PM
Any luck Rav Tux on the other PC?

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
Well the d/l was quite slow, but I got there. BUT I have now burned the iso to a CD (twice) with KD3 and it just won't boot :( (The PC is set to boot from the CD first).

Anyone else having success or problems like this?

Cheers,

Nick

what speed are you burning at? try re-burning at 8x

Any luck Rav Tux on the other PC?

I haven't had time yet

awakatanka
February 3rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
I would really love to try this one, but Im not able to download it from that gigasharesomething place - stops at about 50% and thats all. Isnt there any other site/ftp/torrent from where to download uberyl? Google didnt help. Euki
Got the same problem. 5th time it stopped.

staib
February 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
what speed are you burning at? try re-burning at 8x
Thanks Rav Tux - am out of CDs at the moment, but I also tried earlier on a DVD-RW (at around 4x) but I just get exactly the same message...
If you get a chance to try this, please let me know how you get on...
I certainly don't mean to sound pushy, so I'll bug out now, and glance back here tomorrow :)

sophtpaw
February 3rd, 2007, 08:50 PM
I really wanted to download burn and try this out on my laptop. But can't download it from Gigasize. I simply do not see the link. Can someone give me the actual link please? i see a download bottom but even after i put the code in the page just refreshes; i'm confused

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Got the same problem. 5th time it stopped.
not sure how you were able to download 5 times, it limited my download to twice a day.

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
I really wanted to download burn and try this out on my laptop. But can't download it from Gigasize. I simply do not see the link. Can someone give me the actual link please? i see a download bottom but even after i put the code in the page just refreshes; i'm confusedas far as I know you can only download from Gigasize...without signing up to Gigasize you can download twice...

when you go to the page it will have a 3 letter or alpha code....put that code in and it will turn into a download button....

I would paste a screenshot but I have exceeding my download limit

awakatanka
February 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
not sure how you were able to download 5 times, it limited my download to twice a day.
Sorry meaning 5th try. And still see the code and download link if i type it and it starts downloading but it stops suddenly. Maybe it limit it after is finnished.

sophtpaw
February 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
as far as I know you can only download from Gigasize...without signing up to Gigasize you can download twice...

when you go to the page it will have a 3 letter or alpha code....put that code in and it will turn into a download button....

I would paste a screenshot but I have exceeding my download limit

That is what i did, but no download :(

P.S
I got it now actually. For anyone else interested. One has to wait after putting the 3letter code, for a countdown. So, patience...after that a new tab saying download comes up. So, ignore the big 'download' bottom; that had been my mistake.
Having said that it looks like its gonna take over 4hrs to download! It coming down at a mimimum rate.

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
ok so UBeryl booted to live CD without event in my wifes Fujitsu convertible

(my apologies for the long delay but I was trying out Sabayon Linux on her computer first....also works great without event)

UBeryl default desktop screenshot

(haven't tried Beryl yet ;-) )

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 11:41 PM
ok so UBeryl booted to live CD without event in my wifes Fujitsu convertible

(my apologies for the long delay but I was trying out Sabayon Linux on her computer first....also works great without event)

UBeryl default desktop screenshot

(haven't tried Beryl yet ;-) )OK Beryl works great on UBeryl, simply click on the Beryl Icon and Beryl starts right up....here is the famous cube spin screenshot of UBeryl...(btw even though it is a Spanish distro it boots by default in English....)

My overall evaluation of UBeryl...for an Alpha release it is just as stable as Ubuntu...download site for me was easy...in spite of posted user difficulties, the page was easily translated by Google so no problems there....the iso burned great, and then the live boot was perfect....I have to say that if you want to use or install Ubuntu with Beryl pre-installed, UBeryl is a no-brainer.

UBeryl gets the RAV TUX stamp of approval,....very outstanding and awesome work by the UBeryl devs.

Again if you want Beryl with your Ubuntu simply use and install UBeryl,....it honestly could not be easier...

RAV TUX
February 4th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Another interesting feature is that UBeryl has AutoMatix and AutoMatix Bleeder installed by default.

(ok I am leaving UBeryl for now, I am sure some will find UBeryl helpful, others will find it un-needed.....)

staib
February 5th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Rav Tux - just thought I would let you know that despite the earlier problems I did get the Uberyl to run. The problem was not the burning of the CDs but the fact that the first 2 downloads were incomplete. The third time was lucky for me and allowed me to see what Beryl looks like (which was the whole purpose).

I needed first to use Automatix to d/l the Nvidia driver - as it only comes with the Intel drivers.

The best bit was seeing my son's face when I spun the desktops around - WTF But my wife was less impressed with the wobbly windows and said she felt seasick :lolflag:

Thanks for your not inconsiderable help :)

Nick

RAV TUX
February 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Rav Tux - just thought I would let you know that despite the earlier problems I did get the Uberyl to run. The problem was not the burning of the CDs but the fact that the first 2 downloads were incomplete. The third time was lucky for me and allowed me to see what Beryl looks like (which was the whole purpose).

I needed first to use Automatix to d/l the Nvidia driver - as it only comes with the Intel drivers.

The best bit was seeing my son's face when I spun the desktops around - WTF But my wife was less impressed with the wobbly windows and said she felt seasick :lolflag:

Thanks for your not inconsiderable help :)

Nickno problem I did my first burn with an incomplete download also;)

set the desktop animation to burn with smoke and turn off your wobbly windows....and they may be more impressed

tckb
June 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM
i just downloaded uberyl but am not able to run beryl on the live cd ....
can anybody help me

FuturePilot
June 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM
If you have a Nvidia card you won't be able to run it on the CD. You'll have to install it, then install the Nvidia driver before you can run Beryl.