PDA

View Full Version : Linux Genuine Advantage™

BoyOfDestiny
February 2nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
I thought this was a really cute spoof! Hope it hasn't been posted here yet.

Did you wake up this morning and say "I wish someone would figure out a way to let me do less with my computer"? You've come to the right place!

http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/

beercz
February 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Excellent!!

This sums up WGA and Windows XP/Vista perfectly, and the unfair MS Business practices perfectly.

Certainly puts the point accross.

shining
February 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
The main thing I was missing from windows finally available ! That's a great day for the linux world. I'm going to install it right now on all my computers.

beercz
February 2nd, 2007, 02:34 PM
Are there any hackers (crackers) out there working on cracking LGA?

shining
February 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Are there any hackers (crackers) out there working on cracking LGA?

I think it's hopeless. It's 200% bullet proof.

Sunnz
February 3rd, 2007, 05:40 AM
http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org

Go install it, you know you want to!!! (You can even look at the source code too, it is GPL!!!)

steven8
February 3rd, 2007, 05:56 AM
http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org

Go install it, you know you want to!!! (You can even look at the source code too, it is GPL!!!)

I have to admit that I feel safer sleeping at night knowing I've installed the Linux Genuine Advantage phone home system. I set my licensing fess up to be directly taken out of my bank account via electronic funds transfer. Whew! That's a load off my mind.

I haven't looked at the source code yet, as that just doesn't seem right.

VIA LA GENUINE ADVANTAGE!!

meng
February 3rd, 2007, 05:59 AM
Not sure, it's version 1.0.0, I might wait for the project to mature ... :D

SonicSteve
February 3rd, 2007, 05:59 AM
Funny, weird, I do have to ask why though? I get the joke, but.... why actually make the install file, and better yet why would you actually install it?

meng
February 3rd, 2007, 06:00 AM
Did you read the source code?

Sunnz
February 3rd, 2007, 06:02 AM
There is no reason to wait - Linux will not ever be surpass MS when it comes to phone home anyway.

P.S. If you have questions, read the FAQ.

Gerard Barberi
February 3rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
I just installed it. Now I can't log in; what do I do now???? :lolflag:

steven8
February 3rd, 2007, 08:23 AM
I just installed it. Now I can't log in; what do I do now????

Send them your credit card #, and everything will be all right. :-)

Gerard Barberi
February 3rd, 2007, 08:29 AM
Send them your credit card #, and everything will be all right. :-)
Just the Number, not the whole card? You sure?

steven8
February 3rd, 2007, 08:30 AM

Well, it probably might help expedite the situation at that. . .

Good thinking Gerard!!

EdThaSlayer
February 3rd, 2007, 07:18 PM
That they actually expect me to compile this.
Quite a nice perl script they have got.
But the only problem I have now is that big price tag of $99 a year.:(

13east
February 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
ha... i just love this...

BuffaloX
February 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM
That they actually expect me to compile this.
Quite a nice perl script they have got.
But the only problem I have now is that big price tag of $99 a year.:(

Well then you can rest easily, because they state:

"We might not raise the yearly licensing fees in the future!" :guitar:

Or you may get the crack, then you get genuine advantage for FREE!!!

But who knows, maybe the crack has spyware? :(

Rodneyck
February 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM

Gerard, I went ahead and just sent them my whole credit card and security pin number. I find it expedites the process of just taking all my money anyways, resting better knowing I can use MY computer.

Thank you MS, thank you so much for allowing me to use my computer and paying to do so.

teet
February 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Your computer, which worked just fine before, will continue functioning normally!

This was my favorite line.

I remember when the windows genuine advantage stuff came out a few years ago and wondering why on earth anybody would WANT to install the genuine advantage software. I guess there were a few people out there who got duped into paying for an illegal copy of windows, but the genuine advantage software was just a nuisance for most people.

-teet

mykalreborn
February 3rd, 2007, 09:55 PM
excuse my barging in, but what's this all about?
i mean... you download their software and pay them money so your os is legal or something like that?
enlighten me please!

sophtpaw
February 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
I don't get it. Can someone explain to me what this is for?

BuffaloX
February 3rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
excuse my barging in, but what's this all about?
i mean... you download their software and pay them money so your os is legal or something like that?
enlighten me please!

It's quite simple, you pay them for having a genuine advantage similar to that of Windows XP.
If it is disturbing for you to have a free OS like Ubuntu, you can now pay for a genuine advantage license, to make your system non free, and add a check for license payment plus the option to be locked out of your system.

You even have the option to install a crack afterwards, with possible risk of getting spyware or other malware.

I think this is an answer to those who think Linux is not enough like Windows. So now you can have this "cool" Windows feature.

I'ts all a joke, making fun of MS and how they can call software that includes spyware and the risk of being locked out of your system for a genuine advantage...

mykalreborn
February 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
It's quite simple, you pay them for having a genuine advantage similar to that of Windows XP.
If it is disturbing for you to have a free OS like Ubuntu, you can now pay for a genuine advantage license, to make your system non free, and add a check for license payment plus the option to be locked out of your system.

You even have the option to install a crack afterwards, with possible risk of getting spyware or other malware.

I think this is an answer to those who think Linux is not enough like Windows. So now you can have this "cool" Windows feature.

I'ts all a joke, making fun of MS and how they can call software that includes spyware and the risk of being locked out of your system for a genuine advantage...

oh!!! now i get it!
lol! i've got to get me one of these! :p

TBOL3
February 3rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
Before I install this, I want to make shure that this isn't some back door, so, I'm trusting you, is it?: T

v8YKxgHe
February 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
why would they bother actually coding this? Wouldn't it have been far easier to just make the website to joke about it, instead of spending time creating it ..... which, is .... well, pointless?

BuffaloX
February 4th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Before I install this, I want to make shure that this isn't some back door, so, I'm trusting you, is it?: T

I didn't see anything like that in the source, but I didn't read very carefully, it does however seem to contain an infinite loop, and it generates an identification file, plus it seems to contain some annoyances, just to prove the point. So I didn't try it out...

why would they bother actually coding this? Wouldn't it have been far easier to just make the website to joke about it, instead of spending time creating it ..... which, is .... well, pointless?

Then you couldn't really get the genuine advantage, it would make it vapor ware.
This is a shining example of how Linux has just about everything the average Windows user could wish for. :)

TBOL3
February 4th, 2007, 01:48 AM
OK Thanks.

FuturePilot
February 4th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Read the FAQ before installing. That's all I have to say.
But it is pretty hilarious.

quirt3
February 4th, 2007, 02:49 AM
*runs to bathroom puking in horror*

Sunnz
February 4th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Or you may get the crack, then you get genuine advantage for FREE!!!

But who knows, maybe the crack has spyware? :(

Is there a crack for it yet?

Maybe we can make one, licensed under GPL, just like LGA. ;-)

Any programmers here?

guitarmaniac
February 4th, 2007, 08:49 AM
check this out http://www.hermann-uwe.de/blog/linux-genuine-advantage
thought it was pretty funny so I thought I might share it with everyone here in the Ubuntu Cafe.

aysiu
February 4th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I've merged the three Linux Genuine Advantage threads.

revertex
February 27th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I wish i don't get banned for posting this link, as linux user i'm even against this kind of thing, but seems someone already cracked it.

Damn criminal crackers!

http://www.alienos.com/articles/2007/02/02/linux-genuine-advantage-cracked

GrimRazer
February 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Ha ha ha LOL,
Great find!

kevinlyfellow
April 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Should Ubuntu install Linux Genuine Advantage (http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/) by default? From the site:

According to an independent study conducted by some scientists, many users of Linux are running non-Genuine versions of their operating system. This puts them at the disadvantage of having their computers work normally, without periodically phoning home unannounced to see if it's OK for their computer to continue functioning. These users are also missing out on the Advantage of paying ongoing licensing fees to ensure their computer keeps operating properly.

Warning: Don't actually install this program

diskotek
April 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM
i didnt understand what does it for :confused:

kevinlyfellow
April 24th, 2007, 09:22 PM
i didnt understand what does it for :confused:

lol... it queries a license server to see if you paid the licensing fees. If you haven't, it doesn't allow you to log into your machine (ie a joke).

aysiu
April 24th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I've merged the three Linux Genuine Advantage threads.
Make that four.

greymongrey
April 24th, 2007, 09:25 PM
And who said that Linux wasn't becoming more windows-like? :lolflag:

toxicgonzo
April 24th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Noooo, I have a pirated copy of Linux. What should I do?