PDA

View Full Version : OCR for linux w/ ABBYY engine? Tesseract? Anybody?

dennis1200
February 3rd, 2007, 04:20 AM
I saw that ABBYY recently released its latest 8.0 OCR engine for linux (SDK), and though I'm all for an open-source alternative, that's so far off, there needs to be something, and Finereader is incredible. But are there any plans to use this to make a professional-level general user app? Or what about HP's Tesseract for that matter? I need high-quality scanning of articles, complete with page layout and picture/text/table recognition. Right now working on ABBYY 8 in WINE 0.9.30, but there are plenty of buggy problems with it. Often I still boot up the almost-useless Windows partition just for that purpose (another would be printing, though my discovery of gtklp recently nixed 95% of that) Where's the killer OCR app for linux?!

Apologies if I am way off base; don't even really know how an SDK works, though my understanding is that it is the command-line to the gui (in other words, the real stuff).

JAPrufrock
February 4th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Don't know- I haven't found a good Debian/Ubuntu OCR program yet either. Even Acrobat writer would do for me, but I can't get its OCR module to run on WINE (using Acrobat 4).

koshari
February 18th, 2007, 11:00 AM
i have compiled a working version of tesseract from source and it work very well.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361851&highlight=ocr

Bloch
February 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM
There was a stage some months ago when I really needed some OCR software for a big translation job.
The opensource ones are unfortunately not yet good enough, even if you are prepared to spend time editing the recognised text.

I got ABBYY running under wine and it worked great and was better than some other ones I tried.