PDA

View Full Version : Is Suse what I should be going with?

Adamant1988
February 3rd, 2007, 01:00 AM
I recently tried to restore my windows laptop as part of routine maintainence, but it turns out that the restore partition on the hard drive is corrupted, so I need new restore disks since mine (that were burned from that partition) are completely useless.

In the mean time, I'm trying different Distributions of linux, starting with Sabayon trying to find something that's friendly with this Turion64 and ATI graphics. I know that I'm going to need some non-free items right off of the bat, simply because of the graphics, and the wireless (I'm not sure what driver it uses, but knowing my luck, it's gonna be broadcom...)
So, I need something relatively easy to set up ( I am familiar with Suse's installer) that is going to work with little-to-no tinkering because this laptop really relies on a wireless connection...

So, how well will Suse fit the bill? I haven't tried Ubuntu Edgy, but I know with it's penchant for OSS software it's probably not the first place I want to look for a quick and easy setup free of Ethernet cords and face-palming.

kairu0
February 3rd, 2007, 02:04 AM
I don't have a Broadcom setup, but my wireless card worked out-of-the-box in Edgy, versus 30 minutes of tinkering in opensuse.

Download the Edgy live CD and see if your hardware is properly detected. Then, you can make an informed decision.

Adamant1988
February 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM
Is the Turion64 a big deal? 32 bit distributions would work just fine on it right?

Hendrixski
February 3rd, 2007, 03:36 AM
I'm using OpenSuse now and I'm not to impressed with it. Debian based distributions are a much better fit for me. I think that if you buy a licensed version of enterprise Suse Linux it may be worth all of the hype that Suse has been getting. It does come with more stuff out of the box than Ubuntu, but also has a few things missing that Ubuntu comes with.

yast is also kind of annoying, it takes it a while to set up every time you run it. I think that Ubuntu really is the #1 non-enterprise distribution.