PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy flying ?

mips
February 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vHiYA6Dmws

BigDave708
February 2nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Yep -- just look at my avatar.

I've done barrel rolls, steep dives and spins in aircraft (albeit smaller than a 707) before. It's too much fun to describe.

insane_alien
February 3rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
smaller aircraft are always much more fun than the big heavies. i'd like to see that 707 try an inverted loop (they are so awesome)

mips
February 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Apparently barrel rolls are hard & more dangerous in bigger planes like a 707+. got this big heavy object that basically turns through 360deg generating no lift or negative lift at stages. Suppose it helps to point the nose up :)

Best flying is still with no wings, just free fall and pull the rip cord :mrgreen:

BigDave708
February 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Apparently barrel rolls are hard & more dangerous in bigger planes like a 707+. got this big heavy object that basically turns through 360deg generating no lift or negative lift at stages. Suppose it helps to point the nose up :)
Trying out stunts in large planes is pretty much forbidden due to the stresses that are imposed on the airframe. The forces generated during aerobatic manoeuvres are huge. Even trying out dives or 360 degree rolls in a Cessna 150 can be daunting to even to people with strong stomachs.

By the way, just one nitpick: it would be better to have a slightly nose-down attitude during these sorts of maneouvres. Having a nose-up attitude could be conducive to having an engine stall (or multiple-engine stall on multi-engine aircraft). If you're attempting a barrel roll, the last thing you want is for your engines to stop producing any thrust.

Rolls have been attempted in large commercial jets before. There are stories floating around the aviation industry concerning things such as this. Just before the Belgian airline Sabena shut down, a crew ferrying an Airbus A321 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A321) (i.e. no passengers, just pilots and flight attendants) back from Milan and completed several barrel rolls over the Alps. Now that would have been an amazing (and potentially illegal) experience.

RAV TUX
February 3rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
moving to the cafe I see no reason for this thread to be in the backyard;)

halfvolle melk
February 3rd, 2007, 11:58 PM
Thank God this thread was moved! What were we ever to do when talk of planes was conducted in the backyard!

.t.
February 4th, 2007, 01:00 AM
My school's RAF section takes me flying about every 5 weeks. It's great fun. I've done loop-the-loops (and messed one up into a stall), barrel rolls and stall turns, as well as all the obligatory flying upside down and anti-gravity-effects. The RAF tutor plane we fly is the Grobtutor (http://futurshox.net/aeroview.php?level=image&id=3619).

RAV TUX
February 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Thank God this thread was moved! What were we ever to do when talk of planes was conducted in the backyard!

Good Welcome;)

Malta paul
February 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the video link, a little bit of aviation history.
Just for info. A barrel roll if correctly carried out subjects the aircraft to positive 'G' through all the maneuver. It is like a corkscrew. On the other hand a Slow Roll subjects the aircraft to both positive and negative 'G' loads.
All aircraft are designed and built to comply with certification requirements which reflect their operational requirements. Civil aircraft have thee category's, Normal. Utility and Aerobatic.
A lightly loaded normal category aircraft can be barrel rolled by an expert pilot but there is not room for error!
Tex Jonhston was Boeings chief test pilot at the time and knew what he was doing, and carried out the maneuver correctly.
The Famous Bob Hover regularly barrel rolled a Rockwell Strike Commender Twin at Air Displays.
I must admit I have being flying over 40 years and would not carry out a barrel roll or any aerobatic maneuver in a non certified aerobatic aircraft, I might screw it up! :)

Titus A Duxass
February 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM
A barrel roll if correctly carried out subjects the aircraft to positive 'G' through all the maneuver. It is like a corkscrew. - That's good, then I wouldn't lose my GnT!

roderikk
February 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM
"We know that, you know that. But just don't do it any more...."

That sentence is hilarious! :-D

To get back on the discussion, a zero g-flight will incur much heavier g-loads on the aeroplane and all those heavy jets can perform that one too...

BigDave708
February 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM
For those wanting to know what it's like inside the aircraft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVgvV6FkAcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwsCOam4r4Q

JLB
February 6th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I dunno, exchange mile high club experiences maybe? :)

mips
February 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I dunno, exchange mile high club experiences maybe? :)

Haven't joined that club yet...