PDA

View Full Version : Usability issue with herd 3

davmor2
February 2nd, 2007, 08:08 PM
When installing herd 3 on a laptop you get 2 almost matching icons of two computer screens one behind the other. 1 is network-manager the other network-monitor now I don't have an issue knowing which is which but some one new to Ubuntu/Linux is going to get confused as hell. They both have orange triangles with "!" in and they both have network config access.

jerrylamos
February 3rd, 2007, 03:52 AM
Yes, on my screen there's two icons, one behind the other, and they both say "no network connection". What do yours say?

I did a "sudo dhclient" to get an inet address, then Firefox can access ubuntu.com. And network manager & moniter still say "no network connection".

If there's no network connection, then how am I making this entry on the forum?!:confused:

pochu
February 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Could you please report this in Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug) (if it hasn't been reported yet)?

wpshooter
February 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
For me the update manager still crashes on Herd 3 just a soon as the CD gets to the desktop, JUST like it did on Herd 2 !!!

pochu
February 3rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
For me the update manager still crashes on Herd 3 just a soon as the CD gets to the desktop, JUST like it did on Herd 2 !!!
wpshooter: I think this has been fixed, but the fix isn't in the herd3 because they fixed it when the isos were done. But you can try this to get the fix, before installing:

"sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install gnome-app-install update-manager"

Regards
Pochu

wpshooter
February 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
This is two commands, correct ???

If this is done before installation, is this fix going to be written to ram ???

Thanks.

pochu
February 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
This is two commands, correct ???

If this is done before installation, is this fix going to be written to ram ???

Thanks.
But are you having this issue in the LiveCD or once you've installed the system, when you boot up?

If the first, sorry, this won't fix the problem in the LiveCD. However, if you have the second, it will fix it (also running that command in the installed system will fix it).

Regards
Pochu

Henrik
February 4th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Actually, you can install things while running the Live CD as long as they are fairly small and you are not too squeezed for RAM.

It's good for testing things like this :)

davmor2
February 5th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Reported

pochu
February 5th, 2007, 12:25 AM
https://launchpad.net/bugs/83330 ;)

davmor2: please, when you do a report about which we have discussed here, post the link :D

Thanks
Pochu

jerrylamos
February 5th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Herd 3 gets a crash on boot up apparently Add/Remove on 3 systems I've tried. Well on CD Live Persistent I tried the fix in Post #5 above. Seems to be a whole potful of code.

I still got the crash after restarting.

Henrik
February 5th, 2007, 10:30 AM
It's not actually a crash, but an old crash report (included by mistake) that triggers the dialog. It's a known bug, since fixed.

davmor2
February 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Sorry :(

pochu
February 6th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Hey Davmor!

There is no problem, everybody have mistakes ;)
Just, the next time search better first :D

Oh, and you can change your profile to show that you are a Feisty testing user and not an Edgy one ;)

Regards
Pochu

davmor2
February 9th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Hey Davmor!

Oh, and you can change your profile to show that you are a Feisty testing user and not an Edgy one ;)

Regards
Pochu

Done :lolflag: