15000 pageviews
$200 worth of bandwidth fees for the month

calculating when that digg story will hit Ubuntu Forums = priceless

newbie2
February 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
:lol:

manmower
February 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Am I the only one who finds this story highly unlikely to be true?

Sammi
February 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah... but it's funny :D

There's too little info. Only one pictures of a Windows Vista Ultimate box with a Ubuntu logo.

beercz
February 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Am I the only one who finds this story highly unlikely to be true?When I first read it, I thought about what my Dad would do should I replace his XP machine with Ubuntu, pretending it was Vista.

Would he notice? Probably. I therefore concluded that this story is probably untrue.

TheWizzard
February 2nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
When I first read it, I thought about what my Dad would do should I replace his XP machine with Ubuntu, pretending it was Vista.

Would he notice? Probably. I therefore concluded that this story is probably untrue.

why not? my father liked kubuntu on my pc a lot better and asked me to install it on his pc. he doesn't want to go back to windows!

newbie2
February 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM

"There will be thousands of tonnes of dumped monitors, video cards and whole computers that are perfectly capable of running Vista - except for the fact they lack the paranoid lock down mechanisms Vista forces you to use. That's an offensive cost to the environment.

"Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade Layer' when they go through our landfill sites."
http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
:mrgreen:

mrwooster
February 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
That is brilliant - nice one. Ubuntu rules!

Alfa989
February 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM

Me too...

Tomosaur
February 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Would be hilarious if you could prove it was true. It does give me some interesting ideas though. The main thing which makes me skeptical is that Ubuntu and Windows are both pretty heavily branded anyway. It would take a blind man not to notice that there's no mention of 'Microsoft' or 'Windows Vista' on his machine.

BLTicklemonster
February 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Depending on just how old his dad's machine was, he could have installed fluxbox, put up a black background, then edit out any mouse click functions, killed the taskbar, then when his dad got to the black screen, said his machine couldn't handle vista, he'd just need to get a new one... then kept the old one. :)

Much more plausible story

weatherman
February 2nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
hmm... I don't think my dad would really notice... but he probably wouldn't care either :)

mrgnash
February 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
If he'd said that he'd themed the desktop/GDM/etc. to look and behave like Vista, then I'd find it more plausible.

beercz
February 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
why not? my father liked kubuntu on my pc a lot better and asked me to install it on his pc. he doesn't want to go back to windows!

I am not suggesting that my dad would not like it, I am wondering whether or not he would notice that it is ubuntu rather than vista. I think he would notice.

BTW when I get the time I am going to install ubuntu on his laptop for him to try - he also has a desktop which will continue to run XP until he wants to change to ubuntu. He's impressed with what I do with ubuntu.

prizrak
February 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
I think it depends on how computer retarded his dad is. I know my mother (my dad is in IT so he'd notice) did not know she was using Ubuntu on my laptop to her it was just "An OS".

manmower
February 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
Well his dad seems to know who Steve Jobs is so he's probably not that "computer retarded". Also you would at least expect to see the word Vista here and there instead of an in your face Ubuntu name and logo all over the place.

prizrak
February 2nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
Well his dad seems to know who Steve Jobs is so he's probably not that "computer retarded". Also you would at least expect to see the word Vista here and there instead of an in your face Ubuntu name and logo all over the place.

So does my mother, she even knows the name Paul Allen but that didn't help her ;)

rko618
February 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
If the story is true (which I doubt) as soon as the father tries to install TurboTax in April he's going to find out real quick its not windows :).

He's going to be downloading tons of windows software only to find it doesn't work :confused:

sanderella
February 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM

No, I don't believe it either.:(

psycosmyth
February 2nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
:mrgreen:

Saw it too and as they say, "one man's junk is another's treasure".
I see lots of cheap computers and all ready for OSS!!
Thank You Micro$oft!:lolflag:

delfick
February 3rd, 2007, 01:37 AM
He's going to be downloading tons of windows software only to find it doesn't work :confused:

and that's different to Vista how ??? :D :P

gnuwtey
February 3rd, 2007, 04:00 AM
XD

I know it would be untrue if it were my dad... but if it IS true, then he might just get sued for trademark infringement.

But anyways, if he really thinks it is better, then maybe he should reveal that it's really ubuntu. Then see what his dad's reaction is...

And anyway, the ubuntu logo in the picture looks like it's tilted... something Microsoft for sure wouldn't do. So, it's most likely fraudulent, you're right...

BLTicklemonster
February 3rd, 2007, 07:29 AM
I think it's obvious that he took a standard promotional image of a Vista container and gimped it with the tilted logo, probably specifically for the site. There's no telling if it's really true, but if he had wine on there, (yeah, it would be apparent to most people at that point...) wouldn't turbo tax still run? Maybe the dad's not all that swift, and wouldn't know the difference. I'm redoing a machine for a lady, and I bet I could put icewm on it and make it look like Vista, and she'd never know the difference. I won't but still...