PDA

View Full Version : Change your avatar, Show your support for HRC.org, use the HRC emblem

RAV TUX
February 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
I have to give credit to macogw (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=137631) (Mackenzie) for the inspiration of a wonderful way to support HRC.org and the cause that we will stand up and be counted for...

support http://HRC.org and use the HRC emblem as your avatar.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/customavatars/avatar44986_60.gif

AndyW
February 2nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
sorry, not my cup of tea...

natedawg
February 2nd, 2007, 07:21 AM
Well I'm all for HRC.org..... but that avatar is just boring.
Sorry its a no go :(

jdhore
February 2nd, 2007, 07:26 AM
i agree on both counts Nate, but i'm presonally one to give up having a nice looking avatar for having one that MEANS something...also, i think it looks kinda IKEA-esque

RAV TUX
February 2nd, 2007, 07:27 AM
Sorry its a no go :(glad to here you support HRC.

RAV TUX
February 2nd, 2007, 07:28 AM
i agree on both counts Nate, but i'm presonally one to give up having a nice looking avatar for having one that MEANS something...also, i think it looks kinda IKEA-esque

jdhore glad to see you join in a good cause.

yabbadabbadont
February 2nd, 2007, 07:33 AM
The icon means absolutely nothing unless it is explained. Two yellow rectangles on a blue field? Hunh? Everyone who uses it needs to include a link in their signature that offers an explanation for the icon. Just my opinion of course.

RAV TUX
February 2nd, 2007, 07:34 AM
The icon means absolutely nothing unless it is explained. Two yellow rectangles on a blue field? Hunh? Everyone who uses it needs to include a link in their signature that offers an explanation for the icon. Just my opinion of course.great idea! making a sig link now.

RAV TUX
February 4th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Sorry its a no go :(actually you can use GIMP to use your existing avatar and the HRC emblem by simply using layers and adjusting the opacity...

not boring at all and a bit of fun;)

SunnyRabbiera
February 4th, 2007, 12:23 AM
actually the logo is a equal sign =

But I degress I think its flat...

RAV TUX
February 4th, 2007, 09:13 AM
actually you can use GIMP to use your existing avatar and the HRC emblem by simply using layers and adjusting the opacity...

not boring at all and a bit of fun;)
Changed back to the classic HRC Equal Rights emblem

EdThaSlayer
February 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Gays,lesbians, transgender...
I'm happy with the avatar I have now. :)

pseudonym
February 4th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Judging by the website, the HRC campaign appears to be US-focussed. I think if you're going to ask people on an international web forum to support something like this (or any other political campaign), it should be something with an international focus.

%hMa@?b<C
February 4th, 2007, 03:37 PM
so thats what it means... the girl who sits infront of me in chemistry has like 5000 of those stickers on her binders, bags, etc. She is really annoying, so i never asked.

RAV TUX
February 4th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Judging by the website, the HRC campaign appears to be US-focussed. I think if you're going to ask people on an international web forum to support something like this, it should be something with an international focus.

good point I have e-mailed the HRC and asked them to shift their focus to an international one. I will also stop by the HRC office and talk with them.

I would love for Ubuntu(& Canonical) to officially support the HRC and join the list below:

To learn more about how your foundation can support our mission, please contact Betsy Pursell (Betsy.Pursell@hrc.org), HRC’s director of foundation relations, at 202/216-1512. Over the past year and a half, The Human Rights Campaign Foundation has received support from the following private and corporate foundations:
3 M Foundation
Community Foundation of the National Capital Region
Dyson Foundation
Ettinger Foundation
Freddie Mac Foundation
Hefner Foundation
Rocking Moon Foundation
David Bohnett Foundation
Evelyn and Walter Haas Jr. Foundation
Gill Foundation
I Do Foundation
John F. Dreeland and Robert V. Hauff Foundation
Joseph H. and Florence A. Roblee Foundation
Open Society Institute
Robert Stuart Foundation
RobLee Foundation
Tawani Foundation
Tides Foundation
Traverse Foundation
Wells Fargo Foundation
Working Assets

%hMa@?b<C
February 4th, 2007, 03:56 PM
and, RAV TUX, what power do you have to shift THEIR focus?

xmastree
February 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I would love for Ubuntu(& Canonical) to officially support the HRCWhy? Personally I would prefer that they remain neutral.

RAV TUX
February 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM
and, RAV TUX, what power do you have to shift THEIR focus?No power but simply a friendly suggestion...most foundations will start on a small regional scale and transcend to an international scale...they may have this in the works already....

Regardless while the suggestion is a wonderful idea...my focus will not change on this subject matter.

RAV TUX
February 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Why? Personally I would prefer that they remain neutral.

Perhaps your right but honestly I don't believe neutrality exist...

Human Rights Foundations seem to be a basic foundation of the Ubuntu philosophy...we are what we are because of what we all are....

South Africa is a leader in implementing this...

Regardless beyond that I still invite each individual ubuntuforums.org member here to support HRC in their own small way by helping to bring awareness to a basic Human tenet~Human Rights.

Each ubuntuforums.org member has a choice to support or not support HRC...or it's current focus...some ubuntuforums.org members have chosen to take the high road.

RAV TUX
March 28th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Perhaps your right but honestly I don't believe neutrality exist...

Human Rights Foundations seem to be a basic foundation of the Ubuntu philosophy...we are what we are because of what we all are....

South Africa is a leader in implementing this...

Regardless beyond that I still invite each individual ubuntuforums.org member here to support HRC in their own small way by helping to bring awareness to a basic Human tenet~Human Rights.

Each ubuntuforums.org member has a choice to support or not support HRC...or it's current focus...some ubuntuforums.org members have chosen to take the high road.

by popular request I have returned my avatar to a higher calling...

remember support HRC (http://hrc.org/)!

gaspar
March 28th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Nice one, Rav! Iīm totally in!:)

ice60
March 28th, 2007, 08:31 PM
we have stuff like that over here in the UK. in some cases what happens is undeserving people end up with jobs and/or positions purely because of their colour or sexual orientation, whereas the most skilled person, who happens not to be gay, or black, or whatever gets over-looked. the labour party (the one Blair is the leader of) only let woman run for a place in parliament.

i don't know anything about the HRC so wouldn't just start supporting it. i think the link below might explain what i'm trying to say.

EDIT: i mean the part under Controversy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action#Controversy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action

gaspar
March 29th, 2007, 12:59 AM
ice, I know what you mean.. here in Brazil we have those government programs to improve education - they have some universities keeping a share exclusively to black people (donīt want to sound racist, but I canīt remember a better term now, maybe color people?).
The problem here is know WHO is considered this way, since we only have mixed races :P
Anyway, human rights could be of some use here. I donīt know if the press in other countries covered what happened around here in carnaval, and, of course, during all the year; they claim Rio de Janeiro is gay friendly, but it is not SO friendly. Violence against gay people is alarming, some tourists were victim of that (specially in carnaval).
Again, we could use something like HRC around here.

ice60
March 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM
ice, I know what you mean.. here in Brazil we have those government programs to improve education - they have some universities keeping a share exclusively to black people (donīt want to sound racist, but I canīt remember a better term now, maybe color people?).
The problem here is know WHO is considered this way, since we only have mixed races :P
Anyway, human rights could be of some use here. I donīt know if the press in other countries covered what happened around here in carnaval, and, of course, during all the year; they claim Rio de Janeiro is gay friendly, but it is not SO friendly. Violence against gay people is alarming, some tourists were victim of that (specially in carnaval).
Again, we could use something like HRC around here.

yeap, of course i can only comment on the situation here in London. London is a very cosmopolitan and tolerent city - there aren't too many problems. and that's why i often hear of situations where foreigners/gays or some other minority are playing on their situation for an advantage all to the "average joe's" detriment. obviously that's not the same everywhere.

all i want to say is i don't think anyone should have any kind of advantage, be they white, black, gay or straight!

gaspar
March 30th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I totally agree with you :-)

justin whitaker
March 30th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Nice one, Rav! Iīm totally in!:)

Now, see, that's an avatar worth having.

gaspar
March 30th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks, jw! made him myself :)

diskotek
April 18th, 2007, 11:58 PM
i already check out the web-site: and had my support...

i'm supporting & working as activist in NGO's focused on human rights. glbt rights, women studies, anti-war, disarm etc...