PDA

View Full Version : Dapper still rocks!

WalmartSniperLX
February 2nd, 2007, 06:37 AM
:D :guitar: Sorry but just wondering, who else is still rockin the dapper?

aysiu
February 2nd, 2007, 06:50 AM
Not me. I'm Edgy on my main computer and Feisty on my test computer.

unbuntu
February 2nd, 2007, 06:55 AM
:D :guitar: Sorry but just wondering, who else is still rockin the dapper?

Not me personally but I've distributed a couple of Dapper CD's which I got from ShipIt and I guess they *might be* running Dapper now...hopefully they have discovered the magical "apt-get distro-upgrade" :)

siimo
February 2nd, 2007, 07:06 AM
I'm still rockin Warty on my old pc, oh and breezy badger on this one!
:guitar:

kevinlyfellow
February 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM
I am. I had it preinstalled on my lappy, so I decided that I should keep it on for a little while. I also haven't seen anything exciting enough about edgy for me to have moved. I think I will try out Feisty when it comes out though, its got some exciting features I need to try. I have considered upgraded to edgy though so that I can run beryl easier. btw I just tried out beryl today on the new Knoppix release, and boy is that sweet... I'll probably get tired of it, but it impresses people. Another reason why I haven't moved to edgy is that I've seen the way fstab is setup and I got confused, which has put me off a little bit, as well as known issues with power management for my computer (I think its all resolved by now). But, I think I'll skip edgy and move straight to feisty. But then again, if I move to feisty I'll have to continue upgrading because of the short support cycle, although... I keep saying that I'm not going to upgrade and then I'm dying for the next release to come out after about 4-5 months, so its not going to matter much... oh, linux, you grow up so fast! Maybe I should try out edgy before it is gone...

oh, and I passed out a dapper drake today! my last of 5 cds... I also handed my knoppix!

WalmartSniperLX
February 2nd, 2007, 07:26 AM

:D Thats the way to do it

WalmartSniperLX
February 2nd, 2007, 07:28 AM
I actually made a switch from Edgy.. not sure why. My main reason for switching was to go 64bit but i decided to use dapper since its LTS and I thought I could benefit since Im probably not going to upgrade to feisty or any other os with this pc (getting a new one by then) :D So here I am :KS

xyz
February 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM

Sure am!

When I read this, I can't help wondering what's the real-true point to all these updates/new versions?

OrangeCrate
February 2nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
I use my computer for business, and was looking for a rock solid distro as an alternative to WinXP. I found it with Dapper. There's nothing that I need from the newer versions (so far), so I'll just wait to update to the next LTS version. Happy camper here.

zugu
February 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Edgy was a disappointment for me. I tried it after its launch and again a month ago. Same issues, still no improvements.

So I'm on Dapper and I like it, though the backporting people won't backport some important applications because they might put Dapper's stability at risk.

I tried a bunch of other distros and none satisfied me. Considering my actual issues with Dapper, I'm thinking more and more to revert to my old Windows 2000 OS.

Anyway, I believe that Canonical will be able to fulfill their wish of having Dapper as a stable business platform for five years.

unisol
February 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
im still using dapper. tripleboot it with windowsxp ,dapper, and debian etch. works great for me.

TheWizzard
February 2nd, 2007, 02:57 PM
dapper on both my pc and laptop. i couldn't see any reason to install edgy. feisly looks promising and i'll try that on my laptop when it is released.

Dragonbite
February 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Definately! :lolflag: (groupie)
Partially because that's what ShipIt! sent me and I don't have broadband to download anything else.

More importantly, I like having a system that "just works" and the programs are (more-or-less) up-to-date.

I hear horror stories of people running "updates" and suggestions of doing full-installs instead of updating and frankly I just got the system at a comfortable point, I don't want to have to go through this again!

The last time I tried an "update" it was from RedHat8 to RedHat9, but I do realize that it was about 4 years ago I did that and Ubuntu and Linux as a whole has improved an increadible amount since then but still ...

gholen
February 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
My experience with edgy Eft was, as some of you would say it, a big disappointment, because of the UUID number in /etc/fstab.
The number for my swapdrive was never right, and it lost it every fifth time I booted my laptop. The wifi never seemed to work, and my rythmbox database was messed up.

Dapper rocks, big time, but it has some issues with the network.

EdThaSlayer
February 2nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
I switched from Edgy Eft to Dapper Drake since Dapper seems to be far more stable for me than Edgy Eft will ever be.

renzokuken
February 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
i've got dapper running perfectly on my desktop and have had for nearly 9 months now. i've spent ages customizing it, tweaking, generally pimping it to my needs, and god forbid anyone should dare fiddle with it. its been running flawlessly since the day i installed it and hopefully will for a lot longer.

i've been playing around with dapper and edgy on my new laptop, but decided yesterday to stick to edgy. ive got all my issues resolved now except for sound.........

dapper rocks though, ive had less problems in one year than i have in the last two weeks using XP at uni.

JurB
February 2nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Dapper on my desktop and laptop, they both run like a charm...
Tried installing Edgy on a test partition a few times (on both desktop and laptop), resulting in many different problems: last one, not being able to shutdown... i gave up after that.
I don't really need Edgy, but i got used to switching to the new releases as they were released. Edgy broke that habbit and i think i'll try Feisty a few months after it's release.