PDA

View Full Version : Random Question.

skoalman88
February 2nd, 2007, 05:01 AM
Wondering your thoughts on this:

Do you think Bill Gates has ever used linux? If so, what distro?

Moulton
February 2nd, 2007, 05:16 AM
He probably started with either Bell Labs Unix or Berkely Unix.

Keep in mind that, before Windows, there was DOS. And MS-DOS is a lot like early versions of Unix.

yabbadabbadont
February 2nd, 2007, 05:30 AM
A random question deserves a random answer. Albatross!

Actually DOS, as purchased by MS, was heavily based on CP/M.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M#MS-DOS_takes_over

shareMenaPeace
February 2nd, 2007, 05:58 AM
Intresting and from the link:

Kildall was particularly annoyed when the University of Washington asked him, as a distinguished graduate, to attend their computer science program anniversary in 1992, but gave the keynote speech to college dropout Gates. In response he started writing his memoir, Computer Connections.[9] The unpublished memoir expressed his frustration that people did not seem to value elegance in software,[11] and it said of Gates, "He is divisive. He is manipulative. He is a user. He has taken much from me and the industry." In an appendix he called DOS "plain and simple theft" because its first 26 system calls worked the same as CP/M's.[12] Harold Evans used the memoir as a source for a chapter about Kildall in the 2004 book They Made America, concluding that Microsoft had robbed Kildall of his inventions.[7] IBM veterans from the PC project disputed the book's description of events, and Microsoft described it as "one-sided and inaccurate."

Today nothing changed ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N-2C2gb6ws8

unbuntu
February 2nd, 2007, 06:06 AM
Intresting and from the link:

Today nothing changed ...

That video makes me want to puke...not on Vista but on Apple!!! They are whining about the superficial interface similarities that Vista copied from them...that's cool, but HOW the heck can they claim that they invented the desktop search, the integration of RSS in web browser or even the layout of a calendar program???? That's just ridiculously absurd and the stupid crowd is going along with his crap with claps and laughters, which is absolutely disgusting!

shareMenaPeace
February 2nd, 2007, 06:08 AM
Do they "claim" these?
Im not a mac user so no idea.

I mean ms is presenting it "Hej here 5 years hard work best ever all innovative by us.,..bla bla"
Cheers

unbuntu
February 2nd, 2007, 06:15 AM
Do they "claim" these?
Im not a mac user so no idea.

I mean ms is presenting it "Hej here 5 years hard work best ever all innovative by us.,..bla bla"
Cheers

What I was referring to was that in the video they are comparing side by side their applications and the counterparts in Vista to show that Vista has copied the design. The guy didn't actually say the word "we invented these" but his tone is clearly suggesting that.

I'm an admirer of Mac OSX and the slick design of Apple but sometimes their marketing approach is too cheap.

shareMenaPeace
February 2nd, 2007, 06:20 AM
What I was referring to was that in the video they are comparing side by side their applications and the counterparts in Vista to show that Vista has copied the design. The guy didn't actually say the word "we invented these" but his tone is clearly suggesting that.

I'm an admirer of Mac OSX and the slick design of Apple but sometimes their marketing approach is too cheap.
But isnt that sad, they dont jsut copy they copy 100%
well anyway i dont think vista will go good i think the future are llinux distros for the mass

cheers

muguwmp67
February 2nd, 2007, 06:39 AM
I'm sure Gates has used Linux, he's a micromanager, he ain't stupid and wants to know what he's up against.

I'm thinking he'd definitely check the commercial distros: Novell and Red Hat, etc. If he was doing it today he'd probably check Ubuntu out as well, considering its popularity.