PDA

View Full Version : so I have been reading up on Vista on the Microsoft website.. pros+cons

presbp
February 2nd, 2007, 02:22 AM
Obviously paraphrased and cut out things that arn't of much difference.

Talks about the security of Internet Explorer 7, tabbed browsing, IE7 not having access to the actual Operating system so that malware can only be saved to temp internet files.

Windows Meeting Place allows you to share your desktop or programs online or offline with up to 10 people at the same time remotely.

Next-generation of games- claims that games are all easy to install, all graphics cards must meet a certain criteria so that game developers have an easier time making the game and actually spend more of their time thinking of new ideas then tryint to make it work with so many different kinds of graphics cards.

There is something that called sync center that is supposed to centralize all syncing stuff.

Using new things such as Windows Photo Gallery and Windows Movie Maker to easily organize, edit and manage your media.

Windows Media Player 11 makes it easy to make playlists and transfer music to portable devices, etc.

a centralized program to transfer files and a easy start menu search thing instead of having to go into Explorer

Media Center stuff

an easy backup program to backup all the files you need to backup.

the "widgets" or actually called by Microsoft gadgets that sit on the desktop

full interoperability with the Xbox360

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of Vista?

IMO, Pros:
-There are not Windows Media Center Editions or plain editions, they just have Windows
- The Aero interface and the gadgets are cool
- Better looking and hopefully better gameplay commercial PC games
- Said to have better security
- IE7 finally got tabbed browsing and is better than previous versions
-will get it for games

Cons:
-Obvious price, but hey Windows XP was the same price
- The legal terms in the EULA saying that "User has some rights, Microsoft reserves all others"
- The thing where you have to authenticate all your software and Microsoft can choose what is unwanted software and what is wanted.
-the hardware requirements are steep / and most computers won't run Vista well.
/
- I don't personally see any reason for an upgrade, there doesn't seem to be any new must-have applications

What are you pros and cons.. please try to be as unbiased as you can be.

Trebuchet
February 2nd, 2007, 02:28 AM
Driver authentication is only for the 64-bit version of Vista.

I'm going to get it anyway when I buy a new PC in a week or two. I'm fairly happy with XP SP2, but I can't see any reason not to get a newer OS. The main new feature I like is the improved security, although I like the Aero stuff just because a little "bling" is fun. (It's not like Ubuntu or Linspire make any attempt to look staid and boring.)

miseljt
February 2nd, 2007, 03:04 AM
I used the beta for Vista for a little while, and unfortunately I wasn't looking for a regular OS at the time, I was looking for a server OS, so I didn't take the chance to play with Vista much. If I noticed anything from the beta (and hopefully they changed it a little), IMO it was somewhat difficult to navigate through a network. That may have changed with the actual release of Vista, but that's just what I noticed.