PDA

View Full Version : How come firefox doesn't support CSS scrollbars?

darkhatter
February 2nd, 2007, 02:19 AM
this has been bugging me since the Netscape days......

AusIV4
February 2nd, 2007, 03:01 AM
I second that question. As I recall, CSS scroll bars were one place Firefox got counted off on the Acid2 test. It has some other issues to take care of, but it seems that should be a relatively easy fix.

macogw
February 2nd, 2007, 04:35 AM
Acid2 doesn't mean jack-poo. Acid2 is a made up test by some guy who thought it was nice bling. A lot of it is not valid CSS, and a lot of valid CSS is left off of it. For instance, scrollbar colors are NOT valid CSS. According to the W3C (the rulers of the internet), there is no such thing as scrollbar colors.

manmower
February 2nd, 2007, 05:05 AM
I kind of like the fact that my scrollbars aren't being usurped. If Firefox ever supports this I hope it can be disabled.

natedawg
February 2nd, 2007, 05:45 AM
I second that! Having css scrollbars would be annoying! Its something I always hated about IE.
And yes css scrollbars are not standard compliant and I doubt they ever will be. Therefore its very unlikely that Firefox would implement them.

nalmeth
February 2nd, 2007, 05:50 AM
Konqueror supports this I think.
Not a big deal to me at all, with or without.

kuja
February 2nd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Acid2 doesn't mean jack-poo. Acid2 is a made up test by some guy who thought it was nice bling. A lot of it is not valid CSS, and a lot of valid CSS is left off of it. For instance, scrollbar colors are NOT valid CSS. According to the W3C (the rulers of the internet), there is no such thing as scrollbar colors.
A lot of the not valid css is there to test how the browser reacts to css errors.

v8YKxgHe
February 2nd, 2007, 10:13 AM
A lot of the not valid css is there to test how the browser reacts to css errors.

But scrollbar colors are still against W3C standards, so why would Firefox support something that is against W3C standards? It handels it by just rendering a normal scrollbar. I'm glad Firefox doesn't support scroll bar colors, people insist on having the bright pink or other jazzy colors that are ... well, just crap.

darkhatter
February 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
:confused: did I offend someone....everyone just calm down. I just wanted to know why it didn't support CSS scrollbars, I kind of like them you can blend them better into your site and most sites don't use it so you don't need to cry.

According to the W3C (the rulers of the internet), there is no such thing as scrollbar colors.

thats all you needed to say.....

people insist on having the bright pink or other jazzy colors that are ... well, just crap.

if the whole web site is jazzy pink colors the scrollbar will be the least of your worries....

imagine
February 3rd, 2007, 02:06 AM
CSS is a language to style webpages.
The scrollbar is part of the browser, not of a webpage.
Hence you can't modify the scrollbar using CSS.

I hope this makes some sense.