PDA

View Full Version : Best things to learn how to do with computers (thinkin about the future)?

presbp
February 2nd, 2007, 12:33 AM
Well I started as a little kid on PCs messing around and then I started playing PC games on my computer.

PC games actually brought me to learn how to build my own PC.

Now that I know how to build a PC I would like to start learning even more about PCs and eventually reach that point of being a "computer guru"

Thinking in terms of future tech what would be the most fun and beneficial for me to start learning how to do (Ex: web page creating, java programming, C++ programming, python programming) ??

One of the things I would eventually like to do is to be able to build my own operating system (I know this is far off but I would like to be able to do it sometime)

I am not where I do not know how to do anything though. Using Ubuntu I have learned how to install programs and other simple things, and I have learned some very basic DOS stuff (learning how to show hidden processes, sending system info to a text file, creating directories, showing outgoing connections and matching their process IDs to see if any spyware is running.. stuff like that)

I have a book called Linux Complete: Second Edition which has a copyright in 2002.

I also have a DOS 6.2 Instant Reference Second Edition copyrighted in 1994.. (I know it's old) book

and a book called Creating Web Sites: The Missing Manual copyrighted 2006

Thanks

%hMa@?b<C
February 2nd, 2007, 12:40 AM
Well I started as a little kid on PCs messing around and then I started playing PC games on my computer.

PC games actually brought me to learn how to build my own PC.

Now that I know how to build a PC I would like to start learning even more about PCs and eventually reach that point of being a "computer guru"

Thinking in terms of future tech what would be the most fun and beneficial for me to start learning how to do (Ex: web page creating, java programming, C++ programming, python programming) ??

One of the things I would eventually like to do is to be able to build my own operating system (I know this is far off but I would like to be able to do it sometime)

I am not where I do not know how to do anything though. Using Ubuntu I have learned how to install programs and other simple things, and I have learned some very basic DOS stuff (learning how to show hidden processes, sending system info to a text file, creating directories, showing outgoing connections and matching their process IDs to see if any spyware is running.. stuff like that)

I have a book called Linux Complete: Second Edition which has a copyright in 2002.

I also have a DOS 6.2 Instant Reference Second Edition copyrighted in 1994.. (I know it's old) book

and a book called Creating Web Sites: The Missing Manual copyrighted 2006

Thanks
I would say that currnetly, learning the shell, and perhaps pythton would be teh most helpful for day-to day tasks. C/C++ would be very helpful if you are looking into programming big projects, or as a carreer.

some_random_noob
February 2nd, 2007, 01:03 AM
Starting off basic is good. I'm 16 and that's what I'm doing: general stuff. Setting up networks, maintaining printers etc - programming will get you nowhere fast, hardware will. Do hardware first otherwise you'll be hard pressed finding a job, its the quick and easy option to start off basic.

mikewhatever
February 2nd, 2007, 01:13 AM

I'd start learning all of those things you have mentioned.

presbp
February 2nd, 2007, 01:31 AM
So I think I am going to start learning how to make web pages (not simple crappy ones that you can make in Mozilla Composer in 30 minutes) I guess I will start reading that web page book and then work into getting into even more advanced web page design.

But I ask.. what would be the most fun and beneficial to learn how to do apart from web page creation? Things that I could sit at my computer and learn and do. Setting up networks and printers and stuff like that I cannot really do at my house at my own PC. I will start taking some classes at the community college which the available classes consist of
basic networking concepts
networking basics
intro to programming and logic
operating system concepts
security concepts
database and spreadsheet stuff
system analysis and design
beginning and advanced hardware/software
Linux/Unix classes
beginning and advanced java, Visual basic and C++ programming
Windows classes

so what would you recommend learning on my own and taking as a class at the community college (and learning which things first)?