PDA

View Full Version : Vista Advertisments Everywhere: Proud of being SECURED

burek
February 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM
Proud of being SECURED ! lol

I think it should pointed out about it. I am curious how is the security now of Microsoft.

Somenoob
February 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM
In a few months Vista will be as insecure as XP

easyease
February 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM
i travel through many forums and everytime i see the word Vista i put in a link to the ubuntu homepage.....lets call it a "counter-attack"......

prizrak
February 1st, 2007, 10:22 PM
Well in all honesty Vista is better on security than XP was. It actually enforces file/program permissions (XP never really did). They are not lying it is the most secure Windows yet, it's just not quite as secured as the least secure LInux ;)

Albi
February 1st, 2007, 10:39 PM
Well in all honesty Vista is better on security than XP was. It actually enforces file/program permissions (XP never really did). They are not lying it is the most secure Windows yet, it's just not quite as secured as the least secure LInux ;)

Which would ironically be Linsipire (aka Lindows)
The default account is root and there's no prompting to make a new one.

Garyu
February 1st, 2007, 11:31 PM
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/it/story/0,2789,990243,00.html
OK, so you won't be able to read this. But it's on the front page of the internet site of swedish newspaper Aftonbladet today. "Voice mail in Vista can destroy documtents" is the content. There is probably an english article out there somewhere as well. Apparently, Vista has a voice recognition thing that allows you to command the computer. So people sent mail with an MP3 that instructed the computer to delete files and empty the trash so they couldn't be restored.

Microsoft's reply: "Well, the speakers and the microphone has to be turned on, and the voice recognition has to be activated, so we don't consider it as a serious threat". Of course, the whole thing seems kind of like a joke, but if someone sent me a mail that made my work be deleted at the end of a day when the backup haven't been made... I would be pretty angry. It doesn't say if it is actually possible to delete system files though, or if it is only documents and personal files.

Proud of being secure... A voice e-mail will sabotage the system... right...

Adamant1988
February 1st, 2007, 11:45 PM
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/it/story/0,2789,990243,00.html
OK, so you won't be able to read this. But it's on the front page of the internet site of swedish newspaper Aftonbladet today. "Voice mail in Vista can destroy documtents" is the content. There is probably an english article out there somewhere as well. Apparently, Vista has a voice recognition thing that allows you to command the computer. So people sent mail with an MP3 that instructed the computer to delete files and empty the trash so they couldn't be restored.

Microsoft's reply: "Well, the speakers and the microphone has to be turned on, and the voice recognition has to be activated, so we don't consider it as a serious threat". Of course, the whole thing seems kind of like a joke, but if someone sent me a mail that made my work be deleted at the end of a day when the backup haven't been made... I would be pretty angry. It doesn't say if it is actually possible to delete system files though, or if it is only documents and personal files.

Proud of being secure... A voice e-mail will sabotage the system... right...

and THAT is hilarious, but I suppose it does only effect a small minority of people who decide to let such a voice-mail play through to the end.

Garyu
February 1st, 2007, 11:54 PM
and THAT is hilarious, but I suppose it does only effect a small minority of people who decide to let such a voice-mail play through to the end.

...unless it is opened automatically? I don't know how Vista or Outlook 2007 functions in any way though. But then again there are also lots of really witless users of these products who would sit and watch the screen wondering what the ... is happening. :-P

Albi
February 2nd, 2007, 12:19 AM
Hehe that reminded me of this YTMND
http://brianthelinuxhax0r.ytmnd.com/