PDA

View Full Version : Hey fellas. Question with Suse 9 enterprise.

Roasted
February 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM
I'm of course a huge Ubuntu fan, however my Linux class that just started up uses Suse 9 Enterprise Server edition. I'm getting a little confused over a few things here. May be simple to you guys, however a bit more confusing to me coming from an Ubuntu user.

How can I get to Suse's version of the synaptic package manager, where I can see what's installed and what version? I keep getting this popup to download flash and I do, it says successful, yet it continually pops up as if I don't have it.

Also, how do I manage tar.gz or rpm files? I've only ever used .deb's with Ubuntu. I have a tar.gz here for mozilla and a tar.gz here for gaim, and me and the rest of my class are unable to figure it out on our own. My instructor didn't really tell us, but said we'll learn more about it later. But I wanna know now!! :D

blanks
February 1st, 2007, 08:47 PM
How can I get to Suse's version of the synaptic package manager, where I can see what's installed and what version?

Yast

Brunellus
February 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
moved to SuSE forum.

mips
February 1st, 2007, 08:51 PM
http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes/sles_admin/index.html?page=/documentation/oes/sles_admin/data/front.html

Roasted
February 1st, 2007, 09:05 PM
K, everything is starting to come together now.

How about editing the sources list to add repositories to install other programs such as gaim?