PDA

View Full Version : Celebrate the Vista launch!

timpino
February 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM
And install a fresh copy of Ubuntu on your computer! :)
Let me know how it goes!

lyceum
February 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM
It went great! lol!

Adamant1988
February 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM
I'll actually be installing either Sabayon or PClinuxOS. Unfortunately, my laptop requires non-free drivers in order to be operable.

Although, I did hear about a very good marketing campaign that should be done by anyone who really has the time and the resources. The whole idea was to burn a bunch of Ubuntu disks (or use the ones from ShipIt) and leave them wherever Microsoft's Windows Vista was being sold. As in set them directly in front of the case, and attach a small note saying "Take this, it's just as good, but free"

lyceum
February 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM
I'll actually be installing either Sabayon or PClinuxOS. Unfortunately, my laptop requires non-free drivers in order to be operable.

Although, I did hear about a very good marketing campaign that should be done by anyone who really has the time and the resources. The whole idea was to burn a bunch of Ubuntu disks (or use the ones from ShipIt) and leave them wherever Microsoft's Windows Vista was being sold. As in set them directly in front of the case, and attach a small note saying "Take this, it's just as good, but free"

I think I'd rather stand outside the store and pass them out. That way I'd know the oweners would not just throw them away.

Minyaliel
February 1st, 2007, 06:06 PM
I think I'd rather stand outside the store and pass them out. That way I'd know the oweners would not just throw them away.

It's a great idea, though... hm... *ponder*

Adamant1988
February 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM
It's a great idea, though... hm... *ponder*

I think it's actually a violation of many store policies to stand around handing out free software. Better to set the disks down and go, or be dragged from the premises by security, but hey that could be good publicity too I suppose.

Kind of reminds me of a time I was asked to leave BestBuy for popping an Ubuntu CD in a demo PC to check for hardware problems before I purchased. Needless to say, I don't shop there now.

Jussi Kukkonen
February 1st, 2007, 07:22 PM
Kind of reminds me of a time I was asked to leave BestBuy for popping an Ubuntu CD in a demo PC to check for hardware problems before I purchased. Needless to say, I don't shop there now.

No offence intended, but asking for permission would clearly have been the right thing to do -- I can understand them being annoyed: you could have been installing a keylogger for all they know...

TheOtherLinuxFreak
February 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM
leaving the Ubuntu cds at best buy is a good idea.

Adamant1988
February 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM
No offence intended, but asking for permission would clearly have been the right thing to do -- I can understand them being annoyed: you could have been installing a keylogger for all they know...

None Taken. I suppose you would have had to have been there, finding an attentive representative was nearly impossible, until I put a disk in the demo unit, heh. Actually, the line they gave me was something about a Warranty violation or some such.

lyceum
February 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM
I think it's actually a violation of many store policies to stand around handing out free software. Better to set the disks down and go, or be dragged from the premises by security, but hey that could be good publicity too I suppose.

That is inside the store. Most stores rent their buildings and do not own the parking lots. I would not stand right outside the front door of the building, but offering something for free is not soliciting. If you are still unsure you can call the police and ask them where it is okay to pass out free things like fliers (I would not go into details about what you are doing, legal or not they can still pick you up and just apologize later). I can tell you that selling things in a parking lot is not allowed in a lot of places, but those are normally owners rules rather than laws, in which case there should be signs. (I use to be a salesman, long story). You can also put fliers (or CDs) on cars... I could go on. :twisted:

:guitar:

Adamant1988
February 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM
That is inside the store. Most stores rent their buildings and do not own the parking lots. I would not stand right outside the front door of the building, but offering something for free is not soliciting. If you are still unsure you can call the police and ask them where it is okay to pass out free things like fliers (I would not go into details about what you are doing, legal or not they can still pick you up and just apologize later). I can tell you that selling things in a parking lot is not allowed in a lot of places, but those are normally owners rules rather than laws, in which case there should be signs. (I use to be a salesman, long story). You can also put fliers (or CDs) on cars... I could go on. :twisted:

:guitar:

Well, sounds like you have some experience with this kind of thing, so I'll leave that to you ;)

lyceum
February 1st, 2007, 07:49 PM
Well, sounds like you have some experience with this kind of thing, so I'll leave that to you ;)

lol I'm already all over it ;)

muguwmp67
February 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM
As much as I love the idea of sticking ubuntu CDs under windshield wipers, I don't think its a very good idea. I'll guarantee you that some grandma out there would install it, and wipe out their hard drive with all of their family pictures on it, then complain to the media about how Linux ruined their PC. We don't need the reactionary press screeching to the masses about how dangerous Linux is. Thats the kind of press that can take years to overcome.

Hell, congress would probably start passing legislation banning the distribution of Linux (to protect the public). You know Microsoft wants them to, and Microsoft has been spending a lot more money on lobbyists these past few years. (I think they got tired of getting sued and fined, lobbying is cheaper than fixing your business practices)

rowanparker
February 1st, 2007, 08:17 PM
As much as I love the idea of sticking ubuntu CDs under windshield wipers, I don't think its a very good idea. I'll guarantee you that some grandma out there would install it, and wipe out their hard drive with all of their family pictures on it, then complain to the media about how Linux ruined their PC.

Or break their windscreen wipers as they didn't see the CD.

I doubt most granny's have the ability to install Linux.

lyceum
February 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Sorry, I did not mean for it to get this serious. I have no problem with the idea of passing out CD or flers, but I brought it up at first as a bit of a joke. I would put fliers on windshields, not CD's and I just mentioned the leagal stuff incase someone did want to try it. If you are passing them out, you can explan it and tell people to go to the Ubuntu website.

I do think that this is a better way to do things than leave CDs in the store saying "free". You know someone would try to pay for it and the same thing (install and loose everything) could happen, then they call the store....