PDA

View Full Version : Linux WoW Petition!

drfalkor
February 1st, 2007, 02:10 PM
Maybe this should be in the gamer forum, but: http://www.blizzpub.net/petition/ is gone.. the wow for linux petition is gone.. they are saying: "Well, sometimes even we lose things...".. lose things ? I wanna say that they have removed this on purpose.. There must be a reason why they arent supporting Linux ! N' they cant give an hoenst answer :(

EDIT: There was over 25.000 signed

Ben Sprinkle
February 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
The truth is that no one cares.

drfalkor
February 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
Well.. my point is why dont they have faith in linux.. remember that there would be a lot of great games for linux if they supported it,.. N' alot of great games means more users, more users means more software.. at the end of the day, Vista/XP is nothing but air

rejser
February 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
No one cares, espesially that it works great for most people through wine.

drfalkor
February 1st, 2007, 02:47 PM
Run great or not in wine, the point is that there should be more supportes for linux. ( make stuff native )

Ben Sprinkle
February 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM
Run great or not in wine, the point is that there should be more supportes for linux. ( make stuff native )

Just because you think there should be does not mean it will happen, people do not get their ways all the time and this is a prime example. Please do not come on here because of that site shutting down.

drfalkor
February 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM
I'm on a forum to hear others people opition, not make a change or anything.. this forums was nice until you people came along.. I am not trying to convince anyone, but If you dont like to discuss and just wanna say "That sucks" in a way to somethings.. dont post and make a trolling thread out of this.. I see this thread as destroyed because of trolls.. I will not answer here anymore.. thnx for destroying this thread N' go back to windows

Ben Sprinkle
February 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM
you people

prizrak
February 1st, 2007, 03:11 PM
Actually considering the intended audience for games like WoW it's pretty surprising that Linux support isn't there. Not to generalize but just about every person I know who would play an RPG/MMORPG has either used Linux at some point or is using it now. Those who have used it are pretty likely to try again just out of curiosity.

ATAQ
February 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
I played WoW on Cedega, A trial version only, it worked well, but I am refusing to buy a subscription untill WoW becomes a native application to Linux.
No point in supporting games through wine because the publishers will be satisfied and wont need to make allowances for those of us on Linux, they have a Windows client and even a MAC one, I mean there is more market in Linux than there is on MAC!
:(

Brunellus
February 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM
The truth is that no one cares.
. . . is the CORRECT answer.

online petitions are non-binding and not useful. They give you the feeling of actually doing somethign without the inconvenience of real action.

drfalkor
February 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM
I think so to, but petitions can acctual help sometimes

Adamant1988
February 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM
Online petitions aren't worth the space they take on the server. I understand you're upset about WoW not being playable natively in linux, but frankly, how much does Blizzard stand to gain from porting it?

You're talking about re-doing everything to make it operate properly on linux (for which there really are no standards, so then you're stuck with trying to make it work with the most popular linux distros. Which is an even smaller audience)

Now, I've never really worked in any big projects but I imagine that part alone would be a considerable investment in man-hours that could be applied to bug-fixes, etc. Particularly since they *just* released a new expansion which is going to need some maintainence love.

Now, the blizzard of old might have done something like this, just because. But since Blizzard made WoW they've been all about the profits, and really, there's no major profit to be gained from porting this to Linux, it wouldn't be worth the time. If anything at all, I would like to see game developing companies like this contributing something to projects/programs like Cedega, Wine, Crossover, etc. To ensure that their programs will work. All they have to do is contribute, and the rest will inevitably be taken care of by the communities if there is an interest.

It sounds crude but I wouldn't go about porting a game to another operating system for a whopping 25,000 people when 7 million more are screaming in my ear about bugs in the windows code.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

On another note, I would be more interested in having things like printers, webcams, and other peripherals working properly in linux before I started asking about games; but that's me.

Brunellus
February 1st, 2007, 04:39 PM
I think so to, but petitions can acctual help sometimes
name me an instance.

drfalkor
February 1st, 2007, 04:44 PM
You have local petitions, real life petitions and online petitions.. I dont know about a lot of peitions online that have helped, but I know about one ( cant remember what is was about, but it was about a game). Then you' have the local/real life petitions( those help more) :)

Adamant1988
February 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM
You have local petitions, real life petitions and online petitions.. I dont know about a lot of peitions online that have helped, but I know about one ( cant remember what is was about, but it was about a game). Then you' have the local/real life petitions( those help more) :)

Those help more because they have an actual signature on them. If I sign a paper saying I agree with something, I better well agree with it, since signatures are typically legally binding.

Online petitions however, not so much, for many reasons.

Many of the "signers" were probably well under the age of 18. Making their digital signature worthless. We are talking about an MMORPG here.
Online Signatures are not legally binding. Since an IP address isn't real evidence against you in courts now (at least in America) you can assume that even your IP won't grant you any kind of real say-so in an online petition.

All in all, I think another petition from people of age, with some kind of verifiable signature system trying to *get them to contribute to cedega* would be much more successful. But it would probably get a lot less signatures too.