PDA

View Full Version : Non DRM restriction Ideas

DoctorMO
February 1st, 2007, 10:29 AM
Hello all,

The ideas of DRM, and all the articles I've read from the FSF or DBD and even talking to content owners; both musical, artistic and literary.

I wanted to come up with ideas that are required in order to do the following:

1) Use publicly known content formats (vorbis, theora, png, html etc)
2) Do not use publicly unknown formats (wmv, acc, etc)
3) Do not use formats which have legal protections against their use (mp3)
4) Allow an owner to use the content he had bought in any way they see fit
5) Allow the owner to transfer as gift or by sale the content ownership.
6) To not be subject to encryption of the content itself (trust)
7) To not restrict Fair Use even to non owners.

Others may post better ideas, I just wanted to express the problem we have between content makers and content consumers and the deep level of mistrust we have for each other. and it's a biggy.

I propose the following which has most likely been thought of before:

That a content file or stream should have an header with an encrypted and non encrypted receipt; to act as both proof of purchase, owner information and computer readable guide to how the content should be handled.

This requires the following:

1) That a user buying content is shown the terms in plain language before buying
2) That the receipt does have in plain language set of terms as well as computer readable terms.
3) That the key does represent a receipt of a paid product and it's transfer to another person through sale or gift is valid through a website or program.
4) That the creation and distribution of programs which wilfully ignore or remove the receipt are considered illegal.
5) Transmitting or copying content without a receipt is considered illegal
6) That a person would not identify themselves as someone else in order to gain access to content.

needs more thought, I'll sleep on it I think.