PDA

View Full Version : so what is this I hear about HP, Dell, IBM and Novell talking about Linux

presbp
February 1st, 2007, 08:22 AM
I have heard some stuff about HP, Dell, IBM and Novell being invloved with Linux somehow. What are the details of these reports and do they have any real potential to do anything?

Coop
February 1st, 2007, 08:35 AM
Hello presbp
Novell is a Linux distributor,which makes its own Linux distribution called Suse,and I guess the other companies help develop and spread Linux.

Coop
February 1st, 2007, 08:36 AM
And I believe one day Linux will have most or at least half of desktop share.

maniacmusician
February 1st, 2007, 08:46 AM
Didn't Novell buy SUSE? I don't think they created it...

HP takes a passive-agressive role in promoting linux. But they are at least linux friendly. They have excellent printer drivers and have provided funding for linux in the past.

Dell; They offer some pre-loaded Linux servers. They don't really "get" linux or promote it well. They still push RedHat as an ideal distro, I think, and RedHat just isn't the best anymore.

IBM funds a lot of open-source projects for their own private interest. They do it because it helps them compete with microsoft. They generally support open standards, and have donated money in the past. When I visited IBM in Southbury, CT a few weeks ago for a school thing (will be going back soon), I learned they donate approximately $100,000 a year, I think...it's not much, but it's something.

DoctorMO
February 1st, 2007, 08:56 AM
IBM was a player in Unix and so moved to linux when Unix went ugly; they also have a lot of programmers and engineers working on various things.

Novel (usa) bought SuSE gmbh (german), SuSE was one of the biggest distros with a familiar green lizard as their mascot; there was a lot of unsure people when novel bought them out because Novel got beaten up rather baddly by Microsoft with first locking out Novel Netware from Windows NT then doing some interesting things with word processors for which Novel is still engaged in legal proceedings; Novel was involved in Unix.

HP have always been involved in Linux, mainly because they were a player in Unix.

Dell want to use Linux and would rather sell linux on their machines but won't for fear of Microsoft. so they do various things on the side enough to put a brave face on it but nothing serious enough to get the wrath of Microsoft on them.

RedHat, Intel and Sun are the other interesting players while SCO was a unix player and went against Linux; Oracle is a big mover and shaker involved with unix products now looking for pie.

it's all rather sad.

Coop
February 1st, 2007, 08:58 AM
You're right maniacmusician,Novell bought SUSE.Thank you for telling me.
Sun Microsystems is also involved with Linux

Coop
February 1st, 2007, 09:04 AM
Hello DoctorMO
Thank you for your information.It is very nice.

SunnyRabbiera
February 1st, 2007, 09:53 AM
IBM and HP have been big backers for linux and it doesnt look like dell is far behind

renzokuken
February 1st, 2007, 11:56 AM
HP actually donated a rather sweet master server to kernel.org (the spiritual home of Linux i guess)

Probably didnt cost HP antyhing but its the thought that counts.

Kudos for HP

MrHorus
February 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM
Dell; They offer some pre-loaded Linux servers. They don't really "get" linux or promote it well. They still push RedHat as an ideal distro, I think, and RedHat just isn't the best anymore.

Isn't the best what, distribution?

That's highly subjective at best and besides, from a desktop perspective they might not be the "best" but they DO give exceptional support services for RHEL and that's where they make their money, as businesses have confidence in them.

Sef
February 1st, 2007, 04:49 PM
IBM was a player in Unix and so moved to linux when Unix went ugly....

Unix is not dead. In fact, Information Week (http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=DVVELH2S4DGFIQSNDLRCK H0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=197001433) reports that it is growing.

From the article:

In a survey of 277 data center managers -- most working at companies with between 1,000 and 10,000 employees -- nearly 70% reported that their Unix usage is increasing. Only 22% to 26% say it isn't increasing or is actually declining.

When it comes to small Unix servers, the numbers aren't so clear, said Olds. Overall, he pointed out, the survey shows that low-end Unix is holding steady.

I got the link from Groklaw (http://groklaw.net).

presbp
February 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
so what are the implications of this? is Linux starting to grow more and more? How long do you think it will take before Linux is half of the market share?

mips
February 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM
How long do you think it will take before Linux is half of the market share?

Market share of what ? Desktops, Servers, Embedded ?

Servers & Embedded market share is pretty good. Desktop market share is minimal and will take many years.

blanks
February 1st, 2007, 08:26 PM
so what are the implications of this? is Linux starting to grow more and more? How long do you think it will take before Linux is half of the market share?

The implications are probably nothing. Those for companies have been involved in one way or another with *nix for years. (In the case of HP and IBM, over 30 years.) This is nothing new for them.

mtn
March 3rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
I thought this blog entry made interesting reading regarding MS, Novell and Dell http://blog.lobby4linux.com/archives/104-So,-How-Does-It-Feel-To-Have-Been-Had.html

He makes the case for what could be seen to be MS's current master plan to counter the open source threat.

I posted this on the Dell Storm thread but I think it is applicable here as well.

GerryB
July 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Looks like the big boys don't want to miss out. I think this is the beginning of a tidal wave.
Check this out.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/131193/ibm_opens_wallet_for_linux_client/index.html

KiwiNZ
July 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Looks like the big boys don't want to miss out. I think this is the beginning of a tidal wave.
Check this out.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/131193/ibm_opens_wallet_for_linux_client/index.html

eerrrr that story is 2 1/2 years old. It was posted Feb 2005

GerryB
July 16th, 2007, 12:56 AM
eerrrr that story is 2 1/2 years old. It was posted Feb 2005

Sorry, KiwinNZ, got carried away... I stand corrected. I'm really impressed with what Novell is doing these days. Have you been on OpenSUSE.org to see all the installation options. That's one of the big boys forcing recognition. Anyway, I'm sort looking out for progress in support of Linux and I'd like to see the day when all manufacturers take Linux into account in their marketing strategy. Next time, I'll make sure to look carefully for the date something was posted. I really like this forum,and I'll probably make mistakes again. This posting about IBM is something I didn't know and it's interesting nevertheless. Thanks for correction.