PDA

View Full Version : Things seem to happen but not really

randomnumber
February 1st, 2007, 03:27 AM
Sorry for the title......

I recently saw a question of how to open files remotely. It is my understanding that this really doesn't happen. That, in fact, all files used by your compute are downloaded into onto the computer somewhere even if the file is stored in a temp location.

When we see our desktop with multiple applications we think things are running at the same time when really the cpu is switch from one app to another so fast it appears to us a it is doing things at the same time.

When someone deletes a file they really do not delete a file, they delete a pointer to the data in the file. Data for the file is still there and remains there until something overwrites it.

When you move a file on a partition to the same partition you do not really move the data just the pointer to the data.

When you save data to a drive, sometimes the data is not actually saved on the drive it self. It sometimes gets put into a cache until the computer decides it is time to write the data. This increases the speed of a computer. This is also the reason you need to unmount hot plug storage devices before unplugging them (usb drives).

The point of me starting this thread is I was wondering what other things people think happen one way on a computer and really do not and what you think about this.

muguwmp67
February 1st, 2007, 03:42 AM
Lots of people think Windows is their only option, but its not...

But more on topic...Most people think of an Internet connection as a pipe that runs between one place and another. Actually, the messages get broken down into little chunks that can use many different paths to get to their destinations and can even arrive out of order, like um....leaves flowing down a stream (wow, is that a bad metaphor or what!).

Of course, thats the TCP protocol. The UDP protocol is a different story. In that case, the leaves go single file, and sometimes sink and get lost...