PDA

View Full Version : Personal Finance: which one do you use?

mcglnx
January 31st, 2007, 07:42 PM
Hi All,

Which one of personal finance program are you using, do you prefer?

Google's answer:

Gnucash: 1,500,000
Grisbi: 411,000
Eqonomize: 11,200
Gnumeric: 1,310,000 (aka spreadsheet)
Other :-) : 2,410,000,000

Thanks,
M

whitefort
January 31st, 2007, 08:06 PM
I tried Grisbi and didn't like it, so I'm currently using Gnucash.

To be honest, I'm not wild about it either, but I suspect that I just haven't found how to activate the features I'm looking for yet.

This is the first I've heard of those other apps, but I'll be definitely checking them out.

dtruesdale
January 31st, 2007, 10:33 PM
Take a look at Moneydance. It's worth it.

mcglnx
January 31st, 2007, 10:49 PM
Take a look at Moneydance. It's worth it.

Seems cool,... but not free :(

dtruesdale
January 31st, 2007, 10:52 PM
Well we can't have it all good and be free 100%. It does everything I need it to. It also runs native so no complaints there. The others are lacking and I think that comes down to the free issue.

mcglnx
January 31st, 2007, 11:02 PM
The others are lacking and I think that comes down to the free issue.

Could you details what feature you did not find in others?
I still have to make my choice....

mcglnx
February 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
No more interest on this one? :)

szf
February 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
I looked at Moneydance, but felt that the user interface on Linux was the backwater (i.e. good on the eyes, if you're on a Mac). Maybe I was just trying to avoid the hives when I touch a UI that reminds me of Metal/Motif.

Gnucash 2.0+ is looking really good.

ardchoille42
February 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
I use Grisbi. It does everything I need it to do. I would use gnucash but there is one thing holding me back. I like the gnome desktop, it's sleek and beautiful. I tried gnucash and it is written using GTK1 libs.. which means it looks "blocky" and I can't stand looking at an app that looks like that. There was talk about re-writing gnucash using the GTK2 libs but I haven't seen anything done on that yet. When I see gnucash looking as pretty as my other GTK2 apps, I"ll switch. Until then I'll use Grisbi.

Anyone know when gnucash will be using GTK2 libs so it more closely resembles the other GTK2 apps?

EDIT: It looks like gnucash2.0 now uses the GTK2 ui libs.. but Dapper doesn't have it. What version is gnucash in the Edgy repos? I may switch to Edgy sooner than I had planned :)

szf
February 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Anyone know when gnucash will be using GTK2 libs so it more closely resembles the other GTK2 apps?

Are you on Edgy, ardchoille42? Gnucash 2.0 uses gtk 2.0 and it's in the repositories. After a long wait, no more jaggy fonts in that application.

xpod
February 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Does the wife count:lolflag:

ComplexNumber
February 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
I use Grisbi. It does everything I need it to do. I would use gnucash but there is one thing holding me back. I like the gnome desktop, it's sleek and beautiful. I tried gnucash and it is written using GTK1 libs.. which means it looks "blocky" and I can't stand looking at an app that looks like that. There was talk about re-writing gnucash using the GTK2 libs but I haven't seen anything done on that yet. When I see gnucash looking as pretty as my other GTK2 apps, I"ll switch. Until then I'll use Grisbi.

EDIT: It looks like gnucash2.0 now uses the GTK2 ui libs.. but Dapper doesn't have it. What version is gnucash in the Edgy repos? I may switch to Edgy sooner than I had planned :)
this is what gnucash with gtk2 looks like.

mcglnx
February 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
On Egdy it's 2.0.1

mcglnx
February 3rd, 2007, 06:00 PM

Sure! :)
How can I edit the Poll to Add 'Wife'? :)

xpod
February 3rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
Sure!
How can I edit the Poll to Add 'Wife'?

Not sure m8.
I`m still trying to edit the wageslips myself:)

mjh007
February 8th, 2007, 09:00 AM
What about KMyMoney (http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/index-home.html)?

David Valentine
February 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Sadly, I've been on Quicken for years, and depend utterly on it to keep my credit card info up to date and to supply TurboTax with my yearly financial picture (including a fair amount of securities trading). This keeps my Windows box alive more than anything else.

So, how do you all do your taxes?

Sef
February 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Moved to Ubuntu Cafe since it fits better there.

Phosphoric
February 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM
this is what gnucash with gtk2 looks like.

Blimey, you look skint :lolflag:

mcglnx
February 24th, 2007, 06:49 PM

After trying various thinks, I switched to Gnucash. I've started with a simple 'Accounts' file and added the one I wanted to monitor. So far seems not bad.

Remarks:

Reports do not save their configuration :confused:
Reports always start with small window - I need to resize everytime. :confused:
"CTL-ALT-Left / Right" Does not work while I edit Gnucash. It is not correctly integrated into the window manager (quite sad) :confused:
I still use Gnumeric to do simulation and forecast - but may be I'm asking too much. :confused:

Thanks everybody!
M

Anthem
February 24th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Where's the "Quicken" option?

BWF89
February 24th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I don't do financing (don't have a job and im only 17) but my parents use Quicken for Mac OSX

BarfBag
February 24th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I use my bank's online interface + OpenOffice (for writing down checks and credit purchases). KMyMoney might just stray me, though.

ixus_123
February 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I use Kmymoney2 - I think it's the best by far - certainly for my uses

bigken
February 24th, 2007, 11:40 PM

course she does well her purse :lolflag:

bailout
February 25th, 2007, 02:40 AM
kmymoney although it isn't perfect.

mcglnx
February 25th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Where's the "Quicken" option?

Does it works under Linux?
Unfortunately, I still do not understand how to edit existing poll... :(

Chemist
February 25th, 2007, 12:50 PM
just installed gnucash yesterday, haven't had a proper look at it yet but it seems to do everything that i'll need

ctt1wbw
February 26th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Do any of these actually download transactions from your online bank accounts? And if not, do you have to manually enter in each transaction? I tried GnuCash, Grisbi, and KMymoney2 and couldn't figure out any of them.

OrangeCrate
February 26th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I bank online.

OrangeCrate
February 28th, 2007, 11:24 PM

That's funny. My wife is a CPA. The check book has to balance to the penny, or she loses sleep. I figure if the bank doesn't call, everything's cool.

Bloodfen Razormaw
March 1st, 2007, 01:17 AM
KMyMoney is by a mile the best personal finance application for UNIX and Linux. GnuCash is for professional accounting, not personal finance (for which it is not very well suited at all), and using a spreadsheet for finance is just absurd.

mcglnx
March 3rd, 2007, 03:06 PM
As said before, I've started to use Gnucash. So far I'm happy with it. Once you get familiar with hte concepts (they have very good documentation) you'll find it very useful! Some extra reports would be nice, but the one I've used are already interesting.

mcglnx
March 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
BTW: other question: do you think it's better to have 1 file per-year or one global for every year?

msak007
March 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM
KMyMoney ftw! This poll is biased toward Gnome apps :)

Mateo
March 11th, 2007, 05:36 PM
right now I use grisbi and like it mostly but i might switch to gnucash. I like grisbi but the way it handles budgets is awkward for me. And gnucash seems complicated. I'd like for it to just show me how much income I have each month and then allocate money to different categories. Then if I go over my budget, for example with computer products, then it will give me a warn that i've gone over the budget for the month. Not sure how to achieve this though...

mcglnx
March 11th, 2007, 05:58 PM

No flames please :-)

mcglnx
March 11th, 2007, 06:02 PM
And gnucash seems complicated.

A bit, yes. But once you've understood, it's pretty easy to use. Plus, it uses standard double entry concepts,... could be useful one day for 'serious' business.

Wha I found useful compared to Grisbi are the QIF and MT940 imports as well as the reports (though could be improved!)

mcglnx
March 11th, 2007, 06:03 PM

I'd love to update this poll... But I did not find out how to add / correct entries... :(

faithsnathan
March 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I personally use KMyMoney, though I don't really like it all that well.

I've used a few different ones, but this was the best one I'd found. When I was on Windows XP, I used MS Money, which I liked pretty well.

KMyMoney Problems (off the top of my head):
1. You cannot access and save the file in two different screen names. My wife and I would both want to use the same banking account (at different times, obviously), but once you've saved it in one Ubuntu user name, you can't use it in another. So, my wife would have to sign out of her account, then into mine, add one little bill, then sign out of mine and back into hers.

2. No keyboard shortcut for marking cleared or reconciled to a transaction.

3. When you put in a few transactions in the same day, the program reorders the transactions in whatever order it wants, not the order you put them in.

Other than that, though, a pretty good program (especially considering it's a KDE program that I'm running in Gnome). :)

Mateo
March 13th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I still prefer Grisbi I think. As far as I can tell, neither KMyMoney nor GnuCash have budgeting capabilities.

NotPhil
March 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I'm using Quicken with WINE. I gave GNUcash, Grisbi, and HomeBank a try.

HomeBank (http://homebank.free.fr/) was the nicest app, but you can't print from it, and it won't memorize reports (which it calls statistics).

GNUcash reminded me of my accounting classes, and that gave me the shivers. Grisbi doesn't seem very well integrated into the GNOME desktop. All the other apps were either KDE, GTK1, Motif, command-line, or Java apps.

Nothing I could find would let you track your investments, though I'd settle for using a spreadsheet for that, if I could a good GNOME app for balancing my checkbook, budgeting my spending, and reporting on my income and expenses. I think finance is one of Linux' weaker points right now. I'm hoping that will change soon, because I'd rather not have to rely on WINE.

bailout
March 13th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I'm using Quicken with WINE. I gave GNUcash, Grisbi, and HomeBank a try.

HomeBank (http://homebank.free.fr/) was the nicest app, but you can't print from it, and it won't memorize reports (which it calls statistics).

GNUcash reminded me of my accounting classes, and that gave me the shivers. Grisbi doesn't seem very well integrated into the GNOME desktop. All the other apps were either KDE, GTK1, Motif, command-line, or Java apps.

Nothing I could find would let you track your investments, though I'd settle for using a spreadsheet for that, if I could a good GNOME app for balancing my checkbook, budgeting my spending, and reporting on my income and expenses. I think finance is one of Linux' weaker points right now. I'm hoping that will change soon, because I'd rather not have to rely on WINE.

I know kmymoney has some form of investment tracking but I haven't used it and don't know whether it would meet your needs.

I am interested to know why you would rather use a closed windows app through wine than try running a kde app under gnome:confused:

NotPhil
March 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM
... I am interested to know why you would rather use a closed windows app through wine than try running a kde app under gnome:confused:I already have to use WINE for a couple other things, and I wanted to keep the non-GTK2 interfaces to a minimum.

I was running both KDE and GNOME apps on a Fedora install I had put on an old computer, and having both "desktops" running at the same time was slowing things down noticeably, and the programs never looked right when they were running through the other desktop, no matter how much tweaking I did with their themes and settings. So, I decided I would stick to one desktop as much as possible on this computer.

KDE does have some nice applications, though.

Mateo
March 13th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I had never heard about HomeBank before, I think I will try it, thanks.

linuxmonkey
March 25th, 2007, 01:28 AM
I'm new to the linux world. I plan on installing Ubuntu and dual booting from Windows. I've read some good things about GnuCash. I also saw that its not easy to install. Since I'm new to Linux, why don't applications have automatic installs like OSX or Windows? I found this thread on getting GnuCash onto Ubuntu (http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1283), and it looks like some people have issues.

Does all software require terminal commands and long process (compiling, etc) to install onto Ubuntu? (I may open up a new thread asking this question)

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1283

Mateo
March 25th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I'm new to the linux world. I plan on installing Ubuntu and dual booting from Windows. I've read some good things about GnuCash. I also saw that its not easy to install. Since I'm new to Linux, why don't applications have automatic installs like OSX or Windows? I found this thread on getting GnuCash onto Ubuntu (http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1283), and it looks like some people have issues.

Does all software require terminal commands and long process (compiling, etc) to install onto Ubuntu? (I may open up a new thread asking this question)

no, gnucash should be extremely easy to install. all you have to do is go to the add/remove programs application (from the menu), then search for gnucash. mark it for download, then press apply. don't have to search on the web like in windows.

stokedfish
March 25th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Handyshopper on my Palm TX! <3

faithsnathan
March 25th, 2007, 02:27 AM

I have had problems installing some things in Ubuntu, but for the most part, it's pretty easy. This site (http://www.monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/)has really helped me with it. I never could figure out how to install HomeBank, (http://homebank.free.fr/) however.

Hope that link about installing things in Ubuntu helps! ):P

Nathan I

linuxmonkey
March 25th, 2007, 05:41 AM
I have had problems installing some things in Ubuntu, but for the most part, it's pretty easy. This site (http://www.monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/)has really helped me with it. I never could figure out how to install HomeBank, (http://homebank.free.fr/) however.

Hope that link about installing things in Ubuntu helps! ):P

Nathan I

Thanks for the link :)

helloyo
March 25th, 2007, 06:48 AM
wow, thanks for the eqonomize tip guys!

i've tried gnuCash, kMyMoney and now this, so far i like this the best.

cowlip
March 25th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Someone posted about a finance program called CB Tracker here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=385966&highlight=cb+tracker

They seemed to like it. You just need to install "sudo apt-get install libgdk-pixbuf-gnome2" for libgdk pixbuf

Well, so far, so good. I've only made a few entries so far, but it seems to automatically increment check numbers, allows withdrawals with debit cards, and etc. and keeps a running tally of remaining balance. Haven't looked at the end-of-month reconciliation process yet, but it does have that feature. It will also allow download of bank OFX files (if your bank will allow it -- some will nowadays) so you can do reconciliation -- whenever you want instead of just the end of the month. Pretty handy!

I was just now reading the "Contents" (a basic 'how it works' file). The app seems to be fairly comprehensive for practically any home money management issue. It's probably all 99% of us need to be able to keep things straight.

I've been using QuickBooks, but it was really far more comprehensive than what I ever used. This looks like it will work great and do just what I need. I'll use it for a bit and see if it suits me, then try to figure out how to make a 'donation' to the author for all his work.

Mateo
March 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Homebank has a beautiful interface and lots of potential, but so far it seems like too much of a pain to use. For example, you can't just write in who you gave a check to in the register, you have to make a list before you start putting in your checks.

dejitarob
March 26th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I'm not a wannabe capitalist or anything so I just use a spreadsheet for simple budgeting.

Jellicletrb
March 26th, 2007, 02:43 AM
I chose other, I hope that it's the right one for my situation.

Now that I'm using an OS thats substantially more secure than Win**** *P, I do my banking on my bank's website, and use their billpay too, it's quite cool and handy. :) I can download an updated register at any time during the month.

Also get to download my monthly statements in PDF format.

cainmark
March 27th, 2007, 03:13 AM
I use the java based app eurobudget (http://eurobudget.sourceforge.net/), since it does everything I need and I was able to import my .qif files, and it had a function for exporting .qif files too.. I had started using it in conjuction with Ooo.org and the Opera web browser intending to find a better OS than winXP that would handle the same formats and data. Tried Debian, but I could never get it to install. Them last June I found out about ubuntu dapper drake and got the release they were pushing.

Anthem
March 27th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Does it works under Linux?
Nope. But it's the gold standard by which all other personal finance programs are based.

You didn't ask what finance software I use on Linux, you asked what software I use. And the answer is I keep a sempron machine in the basement that dual-boots Windows so I can run Quicken.

mcglnx
March 27th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I use the java based app eurobudget (http://eurobudget.sourceforge.net/), since it does everything I need and I was able to import my ....

Interesting engouh!
It's a pitty I cannot change the poll! there were much more altrernatives than the one I proposed!.
Would be nice to come with a comparison sheet...

mcglnx
March 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Nope. But it's the gold standard by which all other personal finance programs are based.

You didn't ask what finance software I use on Linux, you asked what software I use. And the answer is I keep a sempron machine in the basement that dual-boots Windows so I can run Quicken.

You right! :) For me it is not obvious since I do use only Linux at home since 1995. I do not even remember how to set-up a dual-boot! :)

kevmartin
March 30th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I gave up trying to find a Linux alternative. I have a lot of past data in a specific Quicken version called Cashbook. I can export QIF files, and several of the linux apps will import QIF files ... but ... the problem is, some of my accounts are $US and others are $AU. None of the linux apps I tried could cope with this - Gnucash came the closest, but in the end I gave up after a lot of wasted time. So I'm stuck with my dual boot Windows, just so I can use quicken at tax time each year to enter all my data for 12 months. (Actually I'm stuck with it for other reasons too - like 3D software such as Poser - so it's not so bad I guess)

Some have said Quicken will run under Wine, but I couldn't get Wine to work when I tried it, plus I have no idea if my version of Quicken will work under it.

So my vote in the poll is Other (ie Quicken under Windows)

mcglnx
March 31st, 2007, 06:28 PM
I gave up trying to find a Linux alternative. ...

What do you miss in Gnucash?
The good point w/ OSS is that you can (try to) participate:)

gavinjb
March 31st, 2007, 10:09 PM
I use Personal Accountz (not free), or I will do when I can get the installer to work, for some reason wont install on Ubuntu, but installs fine on other distros, this is one product which comes with installers for Lin/Win/Mac. I use as I have used previously on Win and have never found anything which is as easy and quick to use.

karellen
March 31st, 2007, 10:37 PM
I've never felt the need for some specialized app

linuxmonkey
April 1st, 2007, 12:17 AM
I've never felt the need for some specialized app

What do you use?

Phosphoric
April 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM
big problem with Gnucash.....I couldn't find a way to export the files in QIF format. Therefore, when I had to go back to Windows (long story) I had to start Quicken from scratch. :(

vnt87
April 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Moneydance 2007 is my choice.

mcglnx
April 1st, 2007, 11:41 AM
big problem with Gnucash.....I couldn't find a way to export the files in QIF format. Therefore, when I had to go back to Windows (long story) I had to start Quicken from scratch. :(

True. No export option. At least CVS and QIF would be good.

kevmartin
April 1st, 2007, 11:42 PM
What do you miss in Gnucash?
The good point w/ OSS is that you can (try to) participate:)
OMG - participating in programming the application? Great idea but I'd have no hope of being helpful. Not only do I not have the skills, I also don't have the time - work consumes 14-15 hours a day 7 days a week for me. I am slowly learning PHP but that wouldn't help I imagine. Maybe one day down the road (a long way down the road) I will have the time and skills to participate in OSS projects, but not now. (Other than the level of participation that is providing feedback/input which I do when I can)

As for the question - what I miss in Gnucash was just as I said in my post - the ability to import data from my existing Quicken version. I can import QIF files, but did not find success with the fact I have accounts in both USD and AUD (and various transactions between the accounts that occurred at the exchange rate of the day they took place. I tried I think 5 linux apps and none could handle that.

fakie_flip
May 6th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Hi All,

Which one of personal finance program are you using, do you prefer?

Google's answer:

Gnucash: 1,500,000
Grisbi: 411,000
Eqonomize: 11,200
Gnumeric: 1,310,000 (aka spreadsheet)
Other :-) : 2,410,000,000

Thanks,
M

Which one(s) do the same as Quickbooks? Recently one of my bosses at work asked me to help him with his computer. I was talking to him about Linux, and he is interested in trying it, but there are two problems. 1) He connects to the internet using dial up with an internal modem, most likely a winmodem. 2) He uses Quickbooks for his other job.

mcglnx
May 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Well, IMHO, you should not try to replicate your behavior when you switch to Linux.
It's an other way of working. After it is a matter of taste.

Winmodem should be supported by now. You can give a try using the live CD?

Regarding QuickBook, have a look here http://oe.quickbooks.com/product_info.cfm?sc=QBC-V51-HME-HMEPGE-TSTA-060213
your boss could use it online :)

If he still want to use a standalone version 2 options:
- Use it using Wine.
- Ask quickbook for a Linux version (they already have a Mac one :)

jiminycricket
May 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
How about running that Windows software under Virtualbox/vmware/qemu+kqemu for now? You can even get it to open seamlessly on Ubuntu like Parallel's Coherence on mac if you use remote desktop (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SeamlessVirtualization)..

Hannah
May 11th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Hi Gavin,

I work for Accountz and read your other thread about the problems you are having with Personal Accountz. We have a forum dedicated to this program which has a thread about installation on Ubuntu. Post your problem on there and the Accountz will try their best to help you.

http://accountz.com/paz/phpBB2/

ixacotal
May 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I use Jgnash (http://jgnash.sourceforge.net). My wife uses a mac, and I have a windows box and an ubuntu box (my server). It runs seamlessly on all of them (some have said you need to install sun java). We used to use gnucash, but when you begin to have a lot of things going on in your accounts, it gets really hard to backtrack and figure out anything that gets messed up.

Jgnash is truly made for simplicity and my wife (not a 'puter geek like myself) was able to learn it in no time.

We use the server version enveloped in java service wrapper so that it's accessible on the server from our notebooks all the time (you can have multiple users, which is great for reconciling!), though I will say it has some flaws that will probably not be fixed until version 2.0 comes out (soon apparently).

The one major thing it does not do? it only imports qif, and it only exports to a csv file. Version 2.0 will have many solutions to this and reporting is going to be "heavily influenced" by the gnucash reporting (which is pretty good). And the data will be stored in a db, which means you can easily run queries and whatnot to do your own reports.

Anyway if you're looking for something simple, straightforward, and truly multi-platform it's a good option.

For business, I unfortunately go with gnucash -- I say unfortunately b/c there's no payroll manager... for that I use TimeTrex. I used TurboCash for a while, but the interface and book keeping terminology is confusing and overwhelming (me not speak "book keeper").