PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu musings from a newbie

insanitywetrust
January 31st, 2007, 04:21 PM
can some experienced ubuntu user help out

feeling like i been set up here

everytime i try to install some of this supposed free software, i keep getting error message after erro message, and now, i cannot go back to windows as i have completely formatted both towers twice and because they are both them dell ready made cds, they do not actually install naything worthy of win xp...

so, i am here, trying desperately to maintain a level of sanity, but, no help to be found at the ubuntu forums, and so far, cryptic lines about vague descriptions.... are i am seeing for how to install softwares...

if i can just get like three software to install correctly, i can actually start using this computer for more than 'help me emails'

you know the matrix, and the red/blue pills? i took the red pill and now where the **** is morpheous and that constuct thingy they stick in the back of the head, i need to learn all i can yesterday, never mind tomorrow

yeh, i tried my best to make this not so rantish... how'd i do?

Tomosaur
January 31st, 2007, 04:44 PM
If you can paste the various error messages on here, along with a description of what you did, I'm sure we'll be able to help you.

Brunellus
January 31st, 2007, 04:55 PM
The first step to wisdom is this: admitting that you dont' know.

In migrating from one OS to another, the biggest problem is simply not knowing how things are done in the new OS. The biggest mistake is simply assuming that your experience in one carries over to the other. Most of the time, that's simply not true.

Having looked over your post history, I can say that you're not atypical as far as new users go. I was the same once. The difference was that I either had to make Linux run as my primary OS or have no computer at all. Working without a net was a great motivator!

The "standard" reference for progam installation is how to install anything in Ubuntu (http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntuinstall/). Alternatively, the relevant wiki page: InstallingSoftware (http://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware). Those pages should cover all but the most specialized needs.

koenn
January 31st, 2007, 06:36 PM
you know the matrix, and the red/blue pills? i took the red pill and now where the **** is morpheous and that constuct thingy they stick in the back of the head, i need to learn all i can yesterday, never mind tomorrow
... and then you still have no idea just how deep the rabbit hole really is.

yeh, i tried my best to make this not so rantish... how'd i do?
not so well

insanitywetrust
January 31st, 2007, 06:50 PM
thanks for the help on all of this, will keep hackin away, and maybe soon can pass along all this advice to them other new users.....

and yeh, the rabbit hole seems to be one of them black holes, never ends....

thanks again