PDA

View Full Version : Best blog software...?

Aetherius
January 31st, 2007, 01:11 PM
I've been messing around with a few different wares and I was curious about all your preferences.

Most/Least favourite blogware and reasoning/examples if you please

Aeth

swamytk
January 31st, 2007, 02:19 PM
www.wordpress.com for free hosting of your blog with latest and innovative features. To get it installed in your own server, www.wordpress.org. It is a open source innovation.

Hemmer
January 31st, 2007, 02:50 PM
www.wordpress.com for free hosting of your blog with latest and innovative features. To get it installed in your own server, www.wordpress.org. It is a open source innovation.

I second that. It covers pretty much everything you'd need in a blog and if it doesnt there will more than likely be a plugin for it! Also there is a great community behind it and there is fantastic theme support! :D

Aetherius
January 31st, 2007, 03:35 PM
wordpress seems to be the best, almost a standard haha

Kernel Sanders
January 31st, 2007, 04:02 PM
I use blogger :)

Minyaliel
January 31st, 2007, 07:41 PM
I've used both blogger and wordpress, along with many other programs, and I must say I prefer wordpress.

Bezmotivnik
February 1st, 2007, 04:30 AM
OK, so let me get this straight: You can use Wordpress to create a blog with full functions on your own site/server?

Thanks for clarification...

seijuro
February 1st, 2007, 05:16 AM
I run wordpress on my own server, and also set it up for my wife on a friend's server. I've also tried blogger and serendipity. I have to say wordpress is by far the best they even have a 5 minute install guarentee. Both my installs ran under 4 minutes.

Polygon
February 1st, 2007, 06:03 AM
OK, so let me get this straight: You can use Wordpress to create a blog with full functions on your own site/server?

Thanks for clarification...

yes

http://wordpress.com/ -> free already hosted online blog that uses wordpress (see below)
http://wordpress.org/ -> the free, open source software that you can download and run on your server

Bezmotivnik
February 1st, 2007, 12:22 PM
Is there a way with WordPress to avoid what I call the "Toilet Paper Format," that is, the endless scrolling content arrangement that makes blogs so unreadable?

I would like to simulate -- as far as possible -- the layout of the first weblog, RobotWisdom (which has mysteriously vanished recently), which is a page of daily one-line descriptive links, though these would be internal rather than external. Does WordPress have the ability to do child pages?

seijuro
February 7th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Is there a way with WordPress to avoid what I call the "Toilet Paper Format," that is, the endless scrolling content arrangement that makes blogs so unreadable?

I would like to simulate -- as far as possible -- the layout of the first weblog, RobotWisdom (which has mysteriously vanished recently), which is a page of daily one-line descriptive links, though these would be internal rather than external. Does WordPress have the ability to do child pages?

not sure about the child pages but yes you can make it use a single page per day my friend's blog is set up that way.