PDA

View Full Version : What do you code in?

somuchfortheafter
May 17th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Well I'm in the early stages of learning c++ and well I used to use dev c++ in windows however since migrating to linux I have started to use bluefish. I have tried kdevelop but in gnome it doesnt look right and i like gnome lol. So besides vim or anything that is entirely console based what programs do you suggest?

Stormy Eyes
May 17th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Gvim (sudo apt-get install vim-gnome). :)

arbearce
May 17th, 2005, 02:08 PM
In Linux I use Kate or Kdevelop when I'm in a GUI enviroment and I use joe or nano otherwise. I was never a fan of command line editors.

One of the guys I work with really likes Eclipse, I have never really gotten around to using it much yet but it does sound kind of good.

jro
May 17th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I have used Emacs, Vim, Jedit, Kate, Eclipse, KDevelop. I am really pretty much impartial. If I had to choose one, it would have to be emacs, that editor does more than I will ever be able to use. Jedit is pretty cool too.

Astrophobos
May 17th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Anjuta is good for me, maybe for you too.

jerome bettis
May 17th, 2005, 06:18 PM
eclipse is pretty nice

but after trying the command line for one project i'm staying here. you really can get more stuff done when you don't have to mess around in the ide. the only editor i really know how to work right now is nano (a little emacs).

TravisNewman
May 18th, 2005, 12:51 AM
What do I code in? Jeans and a t-shirt.
*panickedthumb turns the "corny" knob down*

Ok seriously, command line, or basic text editor (gedit). the only thing I like otherwise is context highlighting, and using TopStyle Pro through Wine to see how my CSS changes will affect the page without actually changing the page each time.

macewan
May 18th, 2005, 03:25 AM
boxers

SNo0py
May 18th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Eclipse - a very good and flexible IDE.

fng
May 18th, 2005, 03:14 PM
eclipse, bluefish

pspad (@ work on my windows machine)

nobodysbusiness
May 18th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Eclipse for Java. SPE and wxGlade for Python. At work I'm forced to use Visual C++ to do Win32 C++ work, but I'm rather hoping that I can get out of that sometime in the near future.

tread
May 18th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I would like to say Anjuta, since I really liked it .. but I have discovered that however enthusiastic I am when I start using an IDE, I end up going back to gvim/make.

Arador
May 18th, 2005, 06:02 PM
GVim, once you're used to it, you'll even start using it when you are on windows.

Lovechild
May 18th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Visual Studio.NET (ASP.NET) - don't be a hater

hobbestec
May 18th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I started using jedit for my php project and am starting to like it better than bluefish or emacs. And the fact that it runs everywhere doesn't hurt.

trivialpackets
May 18th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I normally do C++ using anjuta, but Jedit looks very nice. I'm installing and playing with that this evening. I'll post again with my verdict.

somuchfortheafter
May 18th, 2005, 11:13 PM
thanks for the advice anjuta appears to be exactly what I was looking for