PDA

View Full Version : Forget what you're doing sometimes?

SZF2001
January 31st, 2007, 07:18 AM
Sometimes I find that, even though I've been using Ubuntu for only two years now compared to the eight years I used Windows, when a family member needs help on a Windows box ad it's probably something really simple, you forget and have the mentality of "ugh, it should just be working"?

Maybe Ubuntu is making us (more) lazy, but who am I to say - you can use it with whatever difficulty you wish... But still. Anything like that ever happen to you? Just forgetting the little common things in Windows?

DirtDawg
January 31st, 2007, 07:27 AM
I couldn't find the Desktop folder on a Windows box the other day.

FurryNemesis
January 31st, 2007, 07:51 AM
I forgot some minor settings somewhere that my parents really needed adjusting. It's disturbing, but at least one day the XP chug will set in and I'll have an excuse to install (probably by then) Feisty.

cunawarit
January 31st, 2007, 10:03 AM
Just forgetting the little common things in Windows?

All the time, for both Windows and Debian, which are the two OSs I use regularly.

Magnes
January 31st, 2007, 12:09 PM
I was trying to switch to another desktop on Windows once.

Sunflower1970
January 31st, 2007, 04:09 PM

lol

I had to use XP last night for something, and I tried to do the same thing.

3rdalbum
February 1st, 2007, 09:15 AM
Before now, I've inserted a USB flash drive and waited close on a minute for it to appear on the Windows desktop. And I'm CONSTANTLY trying to unmount flash drives by right-clicking on them and choosing "Eject" (which doesn't work on Win).

insane_alien
February 1st, 2007, 05:35 PM
i keep typing 'sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade' in the prompt.

that and i keep looking up the top for the applications menu.

Adamant1988
February 1st, 2007, 05:52 PM
Sometimes I find that, even though I've been using Ubuntu for only two years now compared to the eight years I used Windows, when a family member needs help on a Windows box ad it's probably something really simple, you forget and have the mentality of "ugh, it should just be working"?

Maybe Ubuntu is making us (more) lazy, but who am I to say - you can use it with whatever difficulty you wish... But still. Anything like that ever happen to you? Just forgetting the little common things in Windows?

Using a windows box tends to focus me, I find. I feel completely out of my element back in the explorer environment, and I usually just wish to accomplish the task and get off that god forsaken excuse of a computer as quick as possible. But I'm a lot more efficient on a Linux box, which may be the "laziness" you're talking about. It generally takes me less time to do things I need to do, so I have more time for play.

SZF2001
February 1st, 2007, 08:09 PM
But maybe it's not laziness, maybe it's just how things should work. Unlike Windows, where you gotta do this to make that work to make thing B work and yadda yadda yadda....

FuturePilot
February 2nd, 2007, 01:45 AM
I miss all the work spaces when I'm in Windows. I guess I always took them for granted. Until you're in Windows and have a lot of stuff open cluttering up the screen do you realize how useful they are.

miseljt
February 2nd, 2007, 02:58 AM
I'm yet another that has tried to switch to other desktops in Windows. Another funny thing i've noticed is I get 50kb/s or so faster downloads in Linux than Windows.

3rdalbum
February 2nd, 2007, 03:23 AM
Oh, and I've also tried to hit Alt-F2 and type the name of the program I want to run rather than navigate through the complicated Start menu.

mysticrider92
February 2nd, 2007, 03:41 AM
I couldn't find the Desktop folder on a Windows box the other day. Yeah, that is a pain. Why can't I get the recycle bin to hide without hiding everything else? Ctrl > Alt > left click doesn't zoom out to my desktop cube. :( Beryl makes me more productive by keeping my attention. :D

marx2k
February 2nd, 2007, 06:03 AM
Oh, and I've also tried to hit Alt-F2 and type the name of the program I want to run rather than navigate through the complicated Start menu.

I keep doing that and getting unwanted results. And then when I DO get to a DOS shell, I'm dissappointed :(