PDA

View Full Version : A proposal for a new Linux program

IYY
January 31st, 2007, 06:33 AM
I've had the idea for a program I call Visipipe. It's a graphical front-end for the Unix shell. I wrote the details of it on my blog, and plan to submit it to Digg, but would like you guys to read over it and tell me if I'm missing something very obvious (for example, if this program already exists):

It's the top post on here:

http://yakubovich.blogspot.com/

unbuntu
January 31st, 2007, 07:20 AM
I just finished reading your proposal. I think the program can serve as a good introduction to *NIX tools and how are they supposed to be used to new users (aka educational values) and also this visualizing of scripts can serve as flow-chart documentation for system admins who need to manage myriads of shell scripts. Sounds like an interesting project...

Good luck with digg...story like this is very hard to make it to the front page if you don't have a bunch of friends to digg your submission.

Just a thought, if you can find an open source organization advocating your idea, maybe you can take this project to the Google Summer Of Code :D

P.S. I don't think there's a way to ease users into regular expression...it takes a long time of practice.