PDA

View Full Version : What Search Engines do you have enabled in Firefox? which is your primary?

RAV TUX
January 31st, 2007, 06:10 AM
My Primary is YubNub (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuphGJsBF3wYAdAlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB2b2gzdDd tBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZAM-/SIG=11a6na6pk/EXP=1170307014/**http%3a//www.yubnub.org/) which is a command line for the Web. (search engine will either default to Google or if you type the command prompt: "GYM foo" it will split your screen in three between Google, Yahoo, and MSN.
If you want to do an image search type "s.i foo" it will split your screen in 3 and search Google Images, Yahoo Images, and flickr.)

As with any command line there are a ton of other command prompts you can do on YubNub (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuphGJsBF3wYAdAlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB2b2gzdDd tBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZAM-/SIG=11a6na6pk/EXP=1170307014/**http%3a//www.yubnub.org/) including pipes and creating your own.

See the screenshot below to see my complete Search Engine list.

jdhore
January 31st, 2007, 06:20 AM
the 2 main search engines i use are:
Google
Wikipedia

WalmartSniperLX
January 31st, 2007, 06:40 AM
google primarily and nothing else but that yubnub looks really nice to use

RAV TUX
January 31st, 2007, 07:10 AM
google primarily and nothing else but that yubnub looks really nice to useremember if your not using the command line it defaults to Google

banditti
January 31st, 2007, 07:12 AM
Google & Wikipedia here.

Polygon
January 31st, 2007, 07:34 AM
google and wikipedia mostly, i also have the IMDB one installed just incase i want to look up a movie real fast

Kateikyoushi
January 31st, 2007, 08:23 AM
Primary is google, I also use wikipedia and imdb.
Now as I notice it's same as Polygon.

Goober
January 31st, 2007, 08:27 AM
There is a search engine other then Google? Just kidding ... somewhat ...

For searching on the Web, I use Google. Mainly because it's fast, it works, and it comes with Firefox. And I am far, far too lazy to change it.

For information and encyclopedic searching, I use Wikipedia, again, because it's free, it's fast, and ... once again, far too lazy to use anything else.

STREETURCHINE
January 31st, 2007, 09:47 AM
mainly google, and some times wikipedia

Magnes
January 31st, 2007, 12:19 PM
I don't use them often but I have: google, wikipedia and some dictionaries.

beercz
January 31st, 2007, 01:03 PM
1 - google

AndyCooll
January 31st, 2007, 01:57 PM
I've enabled Google UK and Google (UK) Linux.

:cool:

tbroderick
January 31st, 2007, 02:03 PM
google
wiki (en)
allmusic (artist)
roots archive (reggae artists)

Mateo
January 31st, 2007, 03:10 PM
search.yahoo.com is my homepage. google is the primary of those searches, even though i rarely use it. i can't stand to change the defaults of things very often. i have a whole bunch of them, though. basketball-reference, amazon, binsearch, tv.com, dictionary.com, yahoo spanish dictionary, youtube, technorati, allmusic.

kazuya
January 31st, 2007, 03:54 PM
google
youtube
distrowatch

Super King
January 31st, 2007, 04:19 PM
Just Google, but that's mainly 'cause I just CTRL-K to jump up to the search bar. By the way, does anyone happen to know if there is any keyboard shortcuts for skipping through the search engines?

ice60
January 31st, 2007, 07:02 PM
i have these atm below, i wiped my home directory the other day so i lost alot of them :| one i totally recommend is del.icio.us it always has great results.

i just added reddit, furl, digg and spurl, i'm sure they are good too.

navneeth
January 31st, 2007, 07:23 PM
I use Wiki and Google the most. Others include: dictionary.com, amazon.com, Firefox extensions, google images, Mathworld, Science World, Wolfram function, Wolfram Integrator, YouTube and Ubuntu Package search (I rarely use some of these)

Minyaliel
January 31st, 2007, 07:25 PM
Google, Wikipedia and Stumbleupon...

DJ_Peng
February 1st, 2007, 03:33 AM
I use Google and Wikipedia most of the time, but my full list of search engines installed is

Google
Wikipedia
Amazon
IMDb
Ask.com
Dictionary.com
Yahoo
Creative Commons
Google Images
Google Maps

cowlip
February 1st, 2007, 04:24 AM
I use the OpenSearch extension to add search engines without going to mycroft. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3698/

I miss Opera's search capabilities actually, it had this OOB and hyou could select search engines in the context menu...

Pikestaff
February 1st, 2007, 06:13 AM
The only three that I use are Google, Wikipedia, and Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. But I have a few others installed (they came default with Firefox).

kevinlyfellow
February 1st, 2007, 06:21 AM
Google
Google News
Wikimedia Commons
Wikipedia
Ubuntu Forums
Ubuntu Package Search

I think I use google the most, but sometimes Wikipedia may take the lead

aktiwers
February 1st, 2007, 07:02 AM
Google
Wikipedia
SingingFish
IMDB
Ubuntu Forums

raul_
February 1st, 2007, 07:37 AM
I don't use Firefox but i use Epiphany smart bookmarks, that's pretty much the same thing:

Wikipedia
Google
IMDB (Internet Movie DataBase, i'm a movie lover)
Youtube
Torrentz
Dictionary (Priberam Portuguese dictionary)

I think my main ones are Google and Wikipedia

Spr0k3t
February 1st, 2007, 07:41 AM
Google (primary)/ Wiki/ M-W.org

vishnumrao
May 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I use yahoo for all my searches.

Does any one know how to change the default search in FF. My FF defaults to google but I want to make it yahoo.

Thanks,
Vishnu Rao.

OrangeCrate
May 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Does any one know how to change the default search in FF. My FF defaults to google but I want to make it yahoo.

Open the search box, and click on "Manage Search Engines". Then move Yahoo to the top of the list.

vishnumrao
May 6th, 2007, 07:40 AM
OrangeCrate,

Thanks for the reply. But I was asking something else.

When I do a searc from my address bar, it defaults to google search. How do I change that.

Ubunted
May 6th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Google, Yahoo!, Ubuntu Package Search, IMDB, Wikipedia, YouTube.

OrangeCrate
May 6th, 2007, 07:58 AM
OrangeCrate,

Thanks for the reply. But I was asking something else.

When I do a searc from my address bar, it defaults to google search. How do I change that.

Sorry, misunderstood.

Type about:config in the location bar and press enter.

In the search box, type "keyword".

Click on "keyword.url".

Replace Google with Yahoo.

I believe that's the answer you're looking for. If not, try a search in Yahoo, there should be instructions somewhere...

karellen
May 6th, 2007, 08:00 AM
google
dictionary.com
wikipedia