PDA

View Full Version : Dual booting with Vista?

TrailerTrash
January 31st, 2007, 05:12 AM
I just bought a new Acer laptop with Vista. Ive heard Linux will not dual boot with Vista....Has anyone done it?

bobbybobington
January 31st, 2007, 05:21 AM
There is always a way, I'm sure there will be all sorts of howto's popping up shortly, and eventually any hacks will be eventually made into a easy to use program or something.

RAV TUX
January 31st, 2007, 05:33 AM
I just bought a new Acer laptop with Vista. Ive heard Linux will not dual boot with Vista....Has anyone done it?
this is atleast the second post on this question....Linux can dual boot with Vista ....in fact a detailed howto has been published in the latest Linux Pro magazine...pick it up at your local bookstore

again if anybody has the magazine please post the howto here.

~LoKe
January 31st, 2007, 05:44 AM
Just for reference, I imagine Vista, like other variations of Windows, will overwrite your boot loader, so if at all possible, install Vista first unless you're prepared to rebuild the bootloader.

RAV TUX
January 31st, 2007, 05:46 AM
Just for reference, I imagine Vista, like other variations of Windows, will overwrite your boot loader, so if at all possible, install Vista first unless you're prepared to rebuilt the bootloader.it's a bit more complex but only slightly

C-A
January 31st, 2007, 05:53 AM
Vista will overwrite your bootloader. When I had it installed I had XP, Vista, and Ubuntu installed in that order. If I chose windows from grub, it loaded the vista bootloader which gave me the option of booting vista or xp.