PDA

View Full Version : Personal marking of 'Vista day'

quercusrobur2002
January 31st, 2007, 12:10 AM
Somewhat tired of all the Vista hype around today, I decided to order another 10 Ubuntu CD's from Shipit to give out to all my colleagues at work and anyone else I come accross who's caught up in the hype...

Stemp
January 31st, 2007, 01:10 AM
Don't forget to help them.... And even install them Ubuntu ;)

meng
January 31st, 2007, 01:15 AM
I though from the thread title you were going to tell us how you "marked" Vista the same way wild animals mark their territory.

quercusrobur2002
January 31st, 2007, 08:03 PM
Don't forget to help them.... And even install them Ubuntu ;)

i'd give as much help as I'm able, but I'm very much a beginner myself on a steep learning curve... But probably the best thing that ever happened to me (computer-wise that is...) was somebody giving me a Ubuntu disk complete with all its nice packaging with the smiley community people, the nice 'joned hands' logo, etc. This made me confident enough to try out Linux. Despite the idea of Open Source appealing to my basically anarchic nature I'd previously been quite put off and intimidated by the idea of downloading and burning Cds then trying to install some really scarey complicated system that uses jargon and terminology totally alien to a newcomer...

The folks at work were getting quite excited about Vista and happened to see me looking at the Ubuntu forums on a PC at work and asked what it was about, I took the opportunity of explaining ubuntu - a totally free O/S, open source, customisable, community support, etc, plus a few of the downsides of Vista, eg, paying for the privilege of having one's computer remotely controlled by some faceless corporation, and how I hope I'll never have to go near it. The guys were quite interested and asked how they could get a copy, as soon as I mentioned downloading it from the site and burning it to a CD to install from I could see their eyes glaze over with a 'far too much hassle' look...

I think however, just like myself, being handed a nice properly packaged, attractive CD will seem like a far more convincing proposition, and the advent of Vista is exactly the right time to break out of the closed cycle of Microsoft dependency...

And any I don't give away to friends or colleagues I'll put on Freecycle, where I've already managed to give quite a few away :)