PDA

View Full Version : Linux on a PDA

lyceum
January 30th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I am thinking about getting a PDA, is there an easy way to get Linux with a Gnome desktop on it and sink it with my Ubuntu desktop? (I am new to the PDA world) I checked google, saw some cool screen shots, but not much else.
Thanks!

Jussi Kukkonen
January 30th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Gnome on a PDA? Don't do that...

You may want to look at www.handhelds.org. Also, while not strictly a PDA, the Nokia N800 may interest you -- I have the earlier model and I really like it.

lyceum
January 30th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the link. To be a little more specific, I got best buy gift cards for Christmas, so I would be buying a new one from there. They only seem to have ones with the PalmOS and I wanted to take that off and replace it with Linux.

dannyboy79
January 30th, 2007, 10:18 PM
if you can run a version of linux on an ipod you can run it on a palm. you may never be able to run the device as a palm anymore but i am sure you can get linux on it. all pda's have a flash bios just like most things and I am sure you can flash what you want onto it. the smart hacker can anyway.

lyceum
January 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
if you can run a version of linux on an ipod you can run it on a palm. you may never be able to run the device as a palm anymore but i am sure you can get linux on it. all pda's have a flash bios just like most things and I am sure you can flash what you want onto it. the smart hacker can anyway.

Saddly, I am not the smart hacker :D

I thought there were OS's out there based on Linux for PDAs, maybe I was wrong... :confused:

I guess I'll give this tread a little more time and if there isn't an easy way I can always get a Zune! :) (just kidding!)

BarfBag
January 30th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Lycoris had a Linux-based OS for PDA's, but then Mandrivia sucked them up. It looked really simple too. I wonder if the source code is still floating around somewhere.

Bigbluecat
January 30th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Sharp Zaurus is a linux PDA.

Get one "sharpish" as they have just discontinued the line. May not carry them in Best Buy though.

dannyboy79
January 31st, 2007, 02:46 PM
here ya go, all the info you'd want about Linux and Palm. gogle is your friend!
http://tamspalm.tamoggemon.com/category/linux-and-palm/

Hemmer
January 31st, 2007, 02:49 PM
Gnome on a PDA? Don't do that...

You may want to look at www.handhelds.org. Also, while not strictly a PDA, the Nokia N800 may interest you -- I have the earlier model and I really like it.

yeah the N800 looks really interesting. i really can't afford it at the moment tho... :(

lyceum
January 31st, 2007, 04:54 PM
Awesome, thanks everyone for the help.

:)