PDA

View Full Version : What is the next operating system you will install/use?

Garyu
January 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM
The Swedish newspaper "Aftonbladet" (www.aftonbladet.se) has a poll today on their website asking readers which their next operating system will be. The readers of Aftonbladet are people from all age groups and from all of society - rich and poor, old and young. When I am writing this the poll has been answered by 29'776 people. Here are the results from that poll:

Vista: 49.8%
OSX: 11%
Linux: 16.3%
Other: 2.9%
Don't know: 20%

The people in the "don't know" group here are probably to a large extent people who don't know what an operating system is, they will just buy a computer at the store and plug it in, using whatever the people in the store will recommend, so they are most probably future Vista-users.

I find it very interesting though to see that Linux gets a whopping 16% of user votes. If this poll would have been on the homepage of "Computer Sweden" - aimed at the computer consultants and other professionals - I would have been less surprised. But in a magazine where all ages are reading and voting on polls... I thought this was a very interesting result. :)

niko7865
January 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I'm a traitor. I'm going to buy vista just for the media center capabilities for my living room computer.

RAV TUX
January 30th, 2007, 08:26 PM
The Swedish newspaper "Aftonbladet" (www.aftonbladet.se (http://www.aftonbladet.se/)) has a poll today on their website asking readers which their next operating system will be. The readers of Aftonbladet are people from all age groups and from all of society - rich and poor, old and young. When I am writing this the poll has been answered by 29'776 people. Here are the results from that poll:

Vista: 49.8%
OSX: 11%
Linux: 16.3%
Other: 2.9%
Don't know: 20%

The people in the "don't know" group here are probably to a large extent people who don't know what an operating system is, they will just buy a computer at the store and plug it in, using whatever the people in the store will recommend, so they are most probably future Vista-users.

I find it very interesting though to see that Linux gets a whopping 16% of user votes. If this poll would have been on the homepage of "Computer Sweden" - aimed at the computer consultants and other professionals - I would have been less surprised. But in a magazine where all ages are reading and voting on polls... I thought this was a very interesting result. :)

moving to the "Other OS" forum

Garyu
January 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM
moving to the "Other OS" forum

aww... and here I was thinking that we could have an interesting discussion about linux friendliness in Sweden and/or other countries... Did you even read the post? I think it belongs in the café. :-k

Minyaliel
January 30th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I'll avoid installing anything for now, seeing that I've got to clear out my old collection of iso discs first, but then it's going to be some other linux distro.

IYY
January 30th, 2007, 08:41 PM
These are very surprising results indeed...

happy-and-lost
January 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Once 4.0 is official, I'm going Debian.

Ubuntu always feels like home, though :)

SunnyRabbiera
January 30th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Most likly another linux distro if fiesty doesnt work out.
I might go to sabayon, its a nice sweet and clean distro.
Or I might go back to simplymepis if it gets its bugs out
or I might go BSD, BSD is getting better as time goes by and I can see myself on it once WINE on it is fleshed out on it (WINE is one of the few things keeping me away from BSD as WINE is still not good yet, crossover office is more stable to me)

matthew
January 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM
aww... and here I was thinking that we could have an interesting discussion about linux friendliness in Sweden and/or other countries... Did you even read the post? I think it belongs in the café. :-kAfter some discussion I'm moving the thread back to the café for you.

mostwanted
January 30th, 2007, 09:22 PM
That is interesting, but my guess is that it was probably linked to from some techie website which helped skew the results to be more in favour of Linux.

prizrak
January 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Yay we beat OS X :)

shining
January 30th, 2007, 10:20 PM
How can you all know (for sure) what your next OS will be?
I don't have any plan moving away from linux, I'll probably keep trying a few other free os occasionally, but that's all.

%hMa@?b<C
January 30th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Probably one flavor of Linux, BSD, Solaris or whatever. If XSOS is real, however, I will certainly try it.

bastiegast
January 30th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Yay we beat OS X :)

Exactly my thoughts. And indeed promising results. But this poll on the other hand... Four users going Vista? [-( What did we do wrong? :p

maxamillion
January 30th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I've been on Linux for so long and I love every minute of it, I am more comfortable on a debian/ubuntu system then I am on any other OS but I think it is time I open my eyes to the world. Don't get me wrong, my main desktop OS will probably forever stay Xubuntu but I have been long awaiting the release of SkyOS (http://www.skyos.org) stable because I would like to see what it has to offer, so technically it will be the next OS I install on a machine (not counting Xubuntu upgrades)

eriqk
January 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure about "next", but a friend of mine just threw a couple of spare computers into my lap[1][2] so I'll be messing around with Debian Etch, Pure:dyne and 64studio/i386.
So, Linux it is, then.

Groet, Erik

[1] well, not literally. That would be painful.
[2] 3 spare computers for a 3 course meal. What strange times we live in.

Rodneyck
January 31st, 2007, 12:44 AM
I will most likely always stay open source, Kubuntu works for me. I do test distros a lot and I am loading up Foresight 1.0 stable on my second hard drive as I type this.

Linux all the way!!!

BWF89
January 31st, 2007, 01:32 AM
When I move out of the house I know I'll be bringing my i386 PC w/Linux with me. But if I want to have a computer that isn't ancient I don't know whether I'll get newer PC and install Linux or get a Mac.

On a Mac everything you'd want to do is really easy and theres not a lot of time spent setting up or maintaining your system. It's pretty much plug it in and your ready to go.

maxamillion
January 31st, 2007, 01:42 AM
When I move out of the house I know I'll be bringing my i386 PC w/Linux with me. But if I want to have a computer that isn't ancient I don't know whether I'll get newer PC and install Linux or get a Mac.

On a Mac everything you'd want to do is really easy and theres not a lot of time spent setting up or maintaining your system. It's pretty much plug it in and your ready to go.

This is true as long as you have the current version of OS X, but as soon as they release a new version, you are on your own. I ran 10.3.9 while it was the still the newest release and about a month after 10.4 came out I started running into things my machine couldn't do, programming libraries I wasn't able to download because I didn't have 10.4, and they didn't even offer a gcc4 for 10.3.x so I wasn't able to write the software I needed to for my class because it depended on a library that I needed gcc4 to compile .... so I installed Xubuntu-PPC on the iBook and away I went, haven't and will never look back since.

I have sold that iBookG4 (which was a secondary machine to my linux only desktop) and now have an i386 laptop I checked out from work that runs Xubuntu faithfully and without fail.

Crashmaxx
January 31st, 2007, 03:26 AM
I'm a traitor. I'm going to buy vista just for the media center capabilities for my living room computer.

Have you looked into MythTV? It can do all Vista MCE can do and more. You can even buy pre-configured centers that can do all the media center stuff you could imagine. Record shows, play DVD's, music, torrents, burn DVD's, and just about anything else.

Back on-topic, my "next" os will surely be some flavor of Linux. But I will probably have a copy of XP lingering around for quite some time for this and that. I don't want to go to Vista unless I can't use XP anymore for the assorted apps I may need. And only then, I would only get it if it was pre-installed. But will see, I know I won't "buy" Vista, but it is the default if I get a new computer.

beercz
January 31st, 2007, 03:28 AM
Although I chose linux, I expect I will be using Vista at sometime or other - even if it is to fix it for someone!

thisllub
January 31st, 2007, 03:51 AM
Although I chose linux, I expect I will be using Vista at sometime or other - even if it is to fix it for someone!

I chose Vista for basically that reason.
I just bought a laptop with XP preinstalled and a voucher for Vista. First thing I did was install vmware and Xubuntu so I can still use all my favourite apps.

I have never liked XP, I find it unbelievably flaky, so if Vista is any better I will use it.
Only difference is that eventually it will be the in the VM .

Zuuswa
January 31st, 2007, 04:10 AM
whats surprising to me is that more people here chose Vista than OS X, in spite of OS X still being a unix-based system

seshomaru samma
January 31st, 2007, 04:21 AM
I will probably need to install XP at work ,we have 7 XP machines and some of them need a periodic reinstall .
For myself , if I ever have time , I would like to try Gentoo.

Mateo
January 31st, 2007, 04:27 AM
either dreamlinux or xubuntu on an older computer.

Polygon
January 31st, 2007, 04:27 AM
Linux will always forevermore be my main operating system, but i will still be tied to windows and will most likely have to purchase vista at one point in order to play the latest video games... which sucks. But if a guild wars and a source engine port came out for linux, id be very happy to delete my windows partition :D

Dr. C
January 31st, 2007, 05:24 AM
I am planning to get a new desktop system this year to run Feisty or Feisty + 1 so I voted Linux.

mikerduffy
January 31st, 2007, 04:49 PM
I'll stick with Ubuntu as the main OS for my laptop (my only daily-use computer), but I would like to experiment with other distros as a hobby. I am consider doing something of a progression, such as:

Ubuntu - Debian - Sabayon - Gentoo - Linux From Scratch

I'm also expecting a set of Solaris disks in the mail, so I'll be playing with that as well.

Brunellus
January 31st, 2007, 05:07 PM
MythTV. /done.

ljpm
January 31st, 2007, 05:22 PM
Ubuntu..........again.

bobbob1016
January 31st, 2007, 05:34 PM
I'm installing Vista tonight, for two reasons, I get it free from school, and I need to know how to use it when all the people I help with their computers start getting it on their new computers. Good thing I have a spare 2.5ghz PC from some guy who kept getting viruses, after I reinstalled XP a few times, he decided to upgrade the computer, and gave me his "old" one.

maxamillion
January 31st, 2007, 05:34 PM
either dreamlinux or xubuntu on an older computer.

I might recommend Xubuntu over dreamlinux if the machine is older, don't get me wrong ... dreamlinux is nice but it comes with alot of media programs and such which generally will bog down an older system. Just a thought. :)

Motoxrdude
January 31st, 2007, 05:36 PM
I am going to install zenwalk when i get home, so linux is my next one.

mips
January 31st, 2007, 07:36 PM
Sabayon, been using it for 3 months & now Ubuntu/Windows XP.

Brunellus
January 31st, 2007, 10:25 PM
Next? Ubuntu. But that's 'cause I move from Win to Ubuntu every day (work>home)

yabbadabbadont
January 31st, 2007, 10:41 PM
I voted, "Other", since my next OS has yet to be invented. :D

Brunellus
January 31st, 2007, 10:42 PM
I voted, "Other", since my next OS has yet to be invented. :D
oh you mean you're gonna run the HURD when it goes stable??

M_the_C
January 31st, 2007, 10:44 PM
I will probably end up installing Vista someday (for games) but not for at least a year (barring any major incidents) so my next OS will be a Linux distro. I haven't decided which yet. Maybe Slackware or Knoppix. :confused:

TheRingmaster
January 31st, 2007, 10:45 PM
I just ordered (for free) solaris 10 and developer tools from here: Free Solaris 10 and Developer Tools Software Kit (http://www2.sun.de/dc/forms/reg_us_2211_391.jsp)

once that comes, I will set up a dual-boot with ubuntu, and solaris (maybe).

Kateikyoushi
January 31st, 2007, 11:00 PM
Those are interesting results but I doubt close to real.

How can you all know (for sure) what your next OS will be?

For example we have 2 macs in the mail so very likely my next new OS is OSX, still using linux on this one and at work.

yabbadabbadont
January 31st, 2007, 11:15 PM
oh you mean you're gonna run the HURD when it goes stable??

HURD has already been invented. It's just not usable. :)

Garyu
February 1st, 2007, 01:30 AM
Wow.

First of all I have to say that I am amazed at how few people actually read the contents of a thread before posting.

Secondly I probably must apologize for doing a few mistakes when I set up this thread. I thought the results from Aftonbladet was interesting. I wanted to spark a discussion about linux friendliness in Sweden and maybe other countries. As a comparison to what people where thinking on this forum I decided to add my own poll. Also, I set the topic to the question of that poll, which was probably my biggest mistake here. The topic should be something along the lines of "Linux gaining popularity in Sweden - what are your thoughts?"

It is not surprising to see that most people here vote Linux as their next choice of OS. It is somewhat surprising to see how few are going to try out Vista, because I know lots and lots of people on this forum dual-boot to Windows for different reasons. But this shouldn't be the TOPIC, it should just be a COMPARISON to the original study, adding a few complimentary thoughts to the issue here.

I was going to give an update on the original poll in Aftonbladet, but they seem to have removed it from the site. Probably because it wasn't giving enough credit to Vista and Microsoft are spending loads of money on advertisements in their newspaper (just a guess). Still, it would be interesting to see what the results would be of a similar marketing campaign of one of the major linux distributions. I don't think we will see marketing being made on that scale for quite some time though, but even without the marketing linux is obviously stealing a lot of market shares from Microsoft. The eyes of the public are starting to open. Computer awareness is rather high in Sweden though, so it would be interesting to see results from other countries... Anyone with some info on this?

EDIT:
Tried to change thread topic to:
"Which is the most linux-friendly country in the world?"
But it will only work for my own posts, not the entire thread...

DoctorMO
February 1st, 2007, 05:11 AM
I'm installing Vista tonight, for two reasons, I get it free from school, and I need to know how to use it when all the people I help with their computers start getting it on their new computers. Good thing I have a spare 2.5ghz PC from some guy who kept getting viruses, after I reinstalled XP a few times, he decided to upgrade the computer, and gave me his "old" one.

That is why I have the following price list for home administration:

Linux: $10
MaxOSX: $30
Windows 98: $100
Windows XP: $200
Windows Vista: $1,000

it's unlikly anyone will ever ask me to fix their windows machines, mostly they ask me to install linux which is good and I normally don't charge for conversions.

STREETURCHINE
February 1st, 2007, 08:53 AM
definately linux,(installing fedora core 6 as i type this) going to give it a go,:D

guitarmaniac
February 1st, 2007, 09:54 AM
whodathunkit most people voted for linux!!!
I'm thinking about downloading sabayonlinux... but i finally got ubuntu the way i like it and you know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it...:confused:

SunnyRabbiera
February 1st, 2007, 09:57 AM
Anyone else possibly going the bsd route?
I seem to be the only one so far who does have an interest in it.

guitarmaniac
February 2nd, 2007, 03:01 AM
Yeah BSD DOES look interesting, and I'd love to give it a try.
TOO MANY DISTROS, NOT ENOUGH BANDWIDTH!!! :p

3rdalbum
February 2nd, 2007, 04:01 AM
I'm sticking with my current Dapper until Syllable becomes "mainstream" in the open-source community and it has a Linux compatibility layer.

So, other.

RAV TUX
February 2nd, 2007, 04:14 AM
Anyone else possibly going the bsd route?
I seem to be the only one so far who does have an interest in it.

I have dual-booted to Ubuntu/PC-BSD for a while in the past...

PC-BSD is the most polished of BSD's...except unless this has changed you can only use KDE or Gnome...KDE is default

manmower
February 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Hopefully Solaris, when my DVD set arrives.

igknighted
February 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
whats surprising to me is that more people here chose Vista than OS X, in spite of OS X still being a unix-based system

Yeah, but from a DRM and closed-source perspective, Apple is the worst out there, so philosophically I understand. Plus, there is way more i386 hardware than Apple hardware.

igknighted
February 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
whodathunkit most people voted for linux!!!
I'm thinking about downloading sabayonlinux... but i finally got ubuntu the way i like it and you know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it...:confused:

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "If it aint broke, tweak it"

Brainfart
February 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Not at all surprising given that OSX only runs on specific hardware.

I voted Linux since I'm intending on perusing distros as I get free time. Sabayon and Mepis gave me grief trying to install earlier today, and FC has been annoying me with little things. I love Gentoo, but I don't have the time for an initial compile, hence trying out binary distros...

I'll get Vista (and a new computer to run it) this summer sometime... :twisted:

vialick
February 2nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Plan 9 from bell labs most likely

Brunellus
February 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah, but from a DRM and closed-source perspective, Apple is the worst out there, so philosophically I understand. Plus, there is way more i386 hardware than Apple hardware.
apple runs on i386; they no longer sell PPC hw.

mips
February 2nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
apple runs on i386; they no longer sell PPC hw.

Yes. But all their previous stuff is PPC and there are more of those than i386. And prior to that it was 680x0 arch.