PDA

View Full Version : So who's selling desktops?

greenwom
May 17th, 2005, 04:40 AM
I've read some threads of folks wanting to sell Ubuntu desktops at decent prices.

Does anyone have a website store or shop?

I've been debating weither or not to build a machine or buy a bargain computer from a big store / name brand and wipe it.

If your selling let us know where to look.

benplaut
May 17th, 2005, 08:54 AM
if you ever happen to be in the general vicinity of Hawaii, i'm selling low-end systems \\:D/

CospeFogo
May 17th, 2005, 10:59 AM
I'm actually considering doing that. But I'm from Brasil. But I think I'll do that with Kubuntu, because people tend to like KDE better (I don't know why).

jonny
May 17th, 2005, 12:52 PM
According to this site (http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050512_124421.html) , the answer might be HP - at least, for us lucky Europeans. Apparently Americans don't like Linux as much as we do.

You might have to buy a laptop instead of a desktop, though.

Stormy Eyes
May 17th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Apparently Americans don't like Linux as much as we do.

Either that, or HP's OEM contract with Microsoft specifies that any HP desktop computer sold in the US has to have a Microsoft operating system.

greenwom
May 18th, 2005, 03:13 AM
I just keep shopping around the web for puter parts and I just can't decide what I should do.

I'm loving my ubuntu-wireless setup on the laptop... So i could buy a newer machine and dual boot or wipe it.

I just keep looking at building a desktop to have a machine with more memory and a larger hard drive. I've only got 20Gig on the laptop (10 winXP and 10 Ubuntu.) but I'd like a big freaking machine with storage better CD/DVD burning and a larger sceen.

SO as I shop around and study up I don't what to do (money being the priority)

Laptop or Desktop or Build.....

EDIT: I'm an indicisive bastard :) I can never make up my mind when it comes to money

opensensesolutions
May 18th, 2005, 06:00 AM
http://open-sense.com is just starting to offer Ubuntu desktops, our first product will be ready June 1st. Our prices are very reasonable given the high quality hardware we use and our knowledgeable support staff. We only support Debian/Ubuntu and a limited range of hardware so we can fix any problems you might encounter quickly.

We are still trying to hash out the specs of our new mini system we're calling the Lini. The older VIA KM400 and KT600 socket A boards work great, are very reliable and cost effective but people seem to think they are too old. The current socket 754 motherboards we are trying now have some issues. The chipsets aren't perfectly supported yet, and the performance gains are small. AMD 64 is another huge can of worms with small performance improvements for typical desktop usage.

You can take a look at what we have so far at:
http://ubuntupc.com/products.html
but more importantly we'd love to hear from the community what they are looking for in a computer.
We know 10,000 rpm hard drives and lots of ram are the keys to a speedy system, but do people just care about the processor? Eventually we plan to offer all of the same features our Groovix (Debian) computers have (simultaneous multiple users, tv tuners, 802.11g, modems) but what other features/peripherals do people want pre-installed?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
http://open-sense.com

benplaut
May 18th, 2005, 06:19 AM
http://open-sense.com is just starting to offer Ubuntu desktops, our first product will be ready June 1st. Our prices are very reasonable given the high quality hardware we use and our knowledgeable support staff. We only support Debian/Ubuntu and a limited range of hardware so we can fix any problems you might encounter quickly.

We are still trying to hash out the specs of our new mini system we're calling the Lini. The older VIA KM400 and KT600 socket A boards work great, are very reliable and cost effective but people seem to think they are too old. The current socket 754 motherboards we are trying now have some issues. The chipsets aren't perfectly supported yet, and the performance gains are small. AMD 64 is another huge can of worms with small performance improvements for typical desktop usage.

You can take a look at what we have so far at:
http://ubuntupc.com/products.html
but more importantly we'd love to hear from the community what they are looking for in a computer.
We know 10,000 rpm hard drives and lots of ram are the keys to a speedy system, but do people just care about the processor? Eventually we plan to offer all of the same features our Groovix (Debian) computers have (simultaneous multiple users, tv tuners, 802.11g, modems) but what other features/peripherals do people want pre-installed?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

to be honest, you are WAY overpriced... look at the other thread on this matter (first few posts) to see what i mean. Your $1000 computer is only worth about $600... :neutral:

opensensesolutions
May 18th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Hi benplaut, did you know that $1000 system functions like 3 $600 computers from a user perspective?

to be honest, you are WAY overpriced... look at the other thread on this matter (first few posts) to see what i mean. Your $1000 computer is only worth about $600... :neutral:
Our $1000 system features 3 simultaneous users, and it is the only system in the world like it that you can buy off the shelf. You could put the hardware together yourself, and figure out all the software, but if your time is at least worth $5/hour it is going to cost you a lot more than $1000 by the time your system is running smoothly.

The single user version of that computer costs $599. I looked at some other ubuntu threads, and I have searched other Linux vendors sites, and I still haven't seen anyone else selling comparable quality hardware with knowledgeable support for that price. We have tested all sorts of different parts and brands, and many computers components are just crap due to cost cutting.

If you could point me to some other sites that beat $599 for a truly comparable system with support, that would be great. If we could find a vendor to provide our hardware for us, we could focus on supporting new features and providing support. Everyone says there is no money in selling hardware, but we feel it is necessary to give our customers a complete solution.

So, maybe people are looking for cheap hardware here, that is good feedback. But what would you think of our new Lini system if it cost $600 and had these specs.
Antec Aria Case (costs over $100)
Sempron 3100 or AMD64 2800 (costs over $100)
512MB Corsair PC3200 RAM (costs over $50)
DFI socket 754 motherboard with video (costs over $70)
NEC 16X DVD+-RW (costs over $50)
logitech black deluxe keyboard and optical mouse (costs over $20)
WD SATA 120G drive (costs over $90)
So that would cost someone at least $500 for parts to build it themselves.
Wholesale costs aren't much less, so there really isn't much profit there after considering building, warranty, support, and development costs.

Our market is people who want to buy a Linux system, plug it in, and have everything working. Basic users just want a system that works. Advanced users can spend their time experimenting with advanced features as opposed to wasting time just getting the sound working.

So, do people really think our prices are too high? Are mid-range systems too practical, not appealing to the bargain hunters or gamers? Any other comments? More feedback negative or positive is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Stormy Eyes
May 18th, 2005, 06:40 PM

I disagree. If I wanted a machine that could handle 3 simultaneous users without resorting to SSH, I'd willingly pay a grand to have it done right. I'm in the market for a new machine, and for $600 the single-user machine is priced perfectly. I wouldn't mind the option for a second hard drive, but that's a minor quibble easily remedied with half an hour and a screwdriver. :)

I'm going to consider buying from OpenSense myself, since I'm in the market for a new machine since my current is a balky little bastard despite my putting three years and hundreds of dollars of TLC into it.

Stormy Eyes
May 18th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Bingo. Lots of RAM and fast hard drives are what I want. Having a TV tuner would be nice too, and the option to select a better sound card than the standard AC97 audio, like SBLive. Not to mention the option to have a second hard drive, if the Aria case allows it.

I don't care about having the "latest & greatest" chipset, or about AMD64. If I really wanted 64bit, I'd buy a Mac at this point, as Apple appears to do 64bit better than Linux on AMD64. By all means, use KM400 or KT600 if they'll support Athlon XPs >= 2400. I'd be happy to "settle" for an Athlon XP 2400 if it had upwards of 512MB RAM and a fast hard drive; it seems that an uber-fast CPU only matters when doing heavy number-crunching -- or compiling Gentoo. :)

verbalshadow
May 19th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Any chance that Your LINI Box will come with MythTV, multiple tv tuner cards(tv outs too), 5.1 or better sound card, and huge HDs of course.

Cause that would make the package awesome and i would definitely get one as soon i get back.

Stormy Eyes
May 19th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Any chance that Your LINI Box will come with MythTV, multiple tv tuner cards(tv outs too), 5.1 or better sound card, and huge HDs of course.

Cause that would make the package awesome and i would definitely get one as soon i get back.

I don't see why not. It'd certainly cost more (like the machines that can handle three simultaneous local users), but it looks like the Antec Aria could handle the hardware needed for MythTV.

opensensesolutions
May 19th, 2005, 08:39 PM
We have added some Lini PC options based on your feedback, thanks. http://ubuntupc.com/products.html

There are now options for huge (or fast) hard drives, Audigy sound, multiple tv tuners, and more.

In this small case there is only room for one internal hard drive and one internal optical drive, but you can always go external. We will be offering a mid-tower socket 939 system in the future for those who want more room.
We would like to ship MythTV already installed, but legal issues are a potential problem. We will make sure all the hardware and software is prepped for MythTV so that all you have to do is push a few buttons to get the remaining software.

Stormy Eyes
May 19th, 2005, 09:08 PM
We have added some Lini PC options based on your feedback, thanks. http://ubuntupc.com/products.html

There are now options for huge (or fast) hard drives, Audigy sound, multiple tv tuners, and more.

Looks sweet. Now I just have to get my income tax refund. (It's certainly taking a while; I hope the IRS isn't gearing up to audit me.)

Stormy Eyes
May 20th, 2005, 12:13 AM
One last question: Since the Lini uses AMD64, will you be installing 32bit Ubuntu or 64bit? I've read that 32bit Ubuntu is more functional on AMD64 at the moment, even though it doesn't take full advantage of the architecture.

opensensesolutions
May 20th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Good Question:

Since the Lini uses AMD64, will you be installing 32bit Ubuntu or 64bit? I've read that 32bit Ubuntu is more functional on AMD64 at the moment, even though it doesn't take full advantage of the architecture.
For most people, running 64 bit binaries on their desktop machine isn't worth it because there are no 64 bit versions of some popular programs (like the Flash plugin). Even running 32 bit code on AMD 64 processors has some small problems which we have overcome, like Grub not working with SATA drives. Our main focus for now will be the 32 bit install, but a 64 bit install will be an option for those who want optimal speed. For most users, I'd recommend starting with a 32 bit install, then switching to 64 bit software in 6 months or a year as things progress.

There are definitely issues switching to 64 bit, and our experienced developers can figure those out once and help everybody. We can provide more value-add in leading edge areas. Most people could install Ubuntu without lots of problems on a 3 year old basic system, but getting everything working properly on new hardware is much more time consuming.

verbalshadow
May 20th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks for listening to my input.

Just a few more questions.

Are all the nesscary cabling include to hook it up to the TV and sound system included? if not this should be a addon.

How easy MythTV install? Like just Clicking a Icon on the desktop or a OpenSense Config Panel to setup all the extra non-free things. Could my wife who knows very little about computers do it?

On the subject of external HD i assume it supports USB2, but what about Firewire?

Thanks again, I really looking at getting one of these as soon as i get back from Iraq.

Stormy Eyes
May 20th, 2005, 09:44 PM
On the subject of external HD i assume it supports USB2, but what about Firewire?

The Antec Aria case supports a single Firewire port, and the Linux kernel supports Firewire, so the Lini PC should have Firewire support built in. If not, it should be a simple matter of recompiling the kernel.

Thanks again, I really looking at getting one of these as soon as i get back from Iraq.

Come home safe. Don't throw your life away for Iraq; it's not worth it.

verbalshadow
May 20th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Come home safe. Don't throw your life away for Iraq; it's not worth it.

thanks i'll try.

Stormy Eyes
May 28th, 2005, 05:23 AM

I've already ordered mine. Wasn't the original ship date for the first Lini systems June 1?

TravisNewman
May 28th, 2005, 05:47 AM
You might want to correct the ubuntu logo. The dots should be at approximately 1 o'clock, 5 o'clock and 9 o'clock. It's against the terms to use the logo in other configurations.

WildTangent
June 4th, 2005, 08:03 PM
i think your Lini PC is pretty cool, but id rather have a mid-tower. but your groovix systems come with Debian. i dont have anything against Debian but id feel much more comfortable with Ubuntu. any chance you can put Ubuntu on the Groovix single user system?

-Wild

Jerrac
June 14th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Well, I am going to be selling a Ubuntu based computer soon. Once I get it to the point where it is easy to set up for a newbie. Using my parents as test subjects... So once I get it totally ready I will post a link to my ebay auction. :D

Oh, and IMHO it is better than what OpenSense is selling. Of course they aren't college students.... :D

Stormy Eyes
June 15th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I should be getting my OpenSense LINI machine today. Once I get it hooked up I'll post more.

Jerrac
June 27th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Well, I just set up an auction on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5213277267

If anyone is interested. Spent quite a while making sure everything worked right. Wish I could afford to keep it for myself...

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve my auction, I would love to hear them. If this sells well, I plan on doing more. Hopefully it will become a source of income during college. :D

Jerrac
June 27th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Eh, the link won't work until tomorrow... *is embarrased*

JoshHendo
July 11th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Either that, or HP's OEM contract with Microsoft specifies that any HP desktop computer sold in the US has to have a Microsoft operating system.

I once used to like MS lol. though unfortuantely if i can ever afford my own computer (not a family one) I would have to make it dual booteable with linux becuase i have lots of programs that only work on windows and won't work with wine.etc :'(

Skel
July 19th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Well, I just set up an auction on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5213277267

If anyone is interested. Spent quite a while making sure everything worked right. Wish I could afford to keep it for myself...

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve my auction, I would love to hear them. If this sells well, I plan on doing more. Hopefully it will become a source of income during college. :D

That computer looks yummy good... I think ya should sell it with no Os tho to maybe atract a Buyer b/c some people might not want a Linux OS.... They could always just install it later...........

Jerrac
July 22nd, 2005, 01:46 AM
That computer looks yummy good... I think ya should sell it with no Os tho to maybe atract a Buyer b/c some people might not want a Linux OS.... They could always just install it later...........
If I relist it, I think I will make it clear that they can easily install windows if they don't want linux. Thanks for the thought. :D

Wardhog
July 22nd, 2005, 04:36 AM
simultaneous multiple users

Interested in how keyboards and mice are provided for the extra users... USB?

You could plug in a PCI video card for each user's monitor, but I haven't come across a multi-keyboard/mouse system before. Very cool idea.

Motoxrdude
July 20th, 2007, 07:01 AM
if you ever happen to be in the general vicinity of Hawaii, i'm selling low-end systems \\:D/

What island?

xdarkxanarchyx
August 4th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I am! Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3130146#post3130146) haha. ;)

rami85
October 31st, 2007, 05:27 AM
try this site www.fc64.org, they are selling preinstalled linux desktops for only $199.99, pretty kool stuff :guitar: