PDA

View Full Version : BBC Article on Vista, Linux, and OSX

Xkutzy
January 23rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
On the BBC News web site in the technology section, the BBC is trying to find advocates for Windows, Mac OS and Linux to debate the merits of their chosen OS in light of the introduction of Vista. The comments on the page so far are mostly from Mac and Windows fans. It would be good if some of the more experienced guys from this forum, signed up to this to give a bit more balance to the debate. I'm too much of a newbie to do this job justice.

Xkutzy

manmower
January 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Link?

Xkutzy
January 23rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6288119.stm

Buffalo Soldier
January 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
Link?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6288119.stm

manmower
January 23rd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks, I must have overlooked it at first because I didn't see it anywhere on the technology page. I guess I could come up with a few reasons for anyone to use Linux, although I'm sure there more knowledgeable people here. I'll give it some thought and submit something later.

kazuya
January 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
I'll bite.

bonzodog
January 23rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Well, I have replied, and it will now be vetted by the "Have your Say" team. I wonder if they are only publishing the results that they see in a certain light?

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Flame on.

EdThaSlayer
January 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
This sounds fun.:biggrin:

roderikk
January 23rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
I posted this:

When I started using computers for real in the early 90s, Windows was already the norm. I can remember being terribly excited by the release of Windows 95, as I didn't know better. Last year I finally gave up my Windows frustration. Not that I had any troubles with spyware or viruses, it was just that I felt I was too locked in a certain frame of mind. I wanted to own my pc and not be directed into what to use by Microsoft. Therefor I switched to GNU/Linux. The Ubuntu operating system made this transition quite easy. Of course, after years of only using Windows learning a new operating system can be challenging, however it has been well worth the effort. I am learning something new every single day. And thanks to the powers Linux gives me over my own computer my productivity has increased significantly.
With all the new developments currently going on in the Linux world, like Beryl/Compiz, it will be an even more alluring option for people to try it out.

I think this effort by the BBC is very good. I hope this will help people realize they actually have a choice when it comes to their operating system and they don't actually have to buy an expensive new computer because Microsoft wants them to.

willskills
January 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
I posted this:
I think this effort by the BBC is very good. I hope this will help people realize they actually have a choice when it comes to their operating system and they don't actually have to buy an expensive new computer because Microsoft wants them to.

Amen to that.

speedwell68
January 23rd, 2007, 04:44 PM
I've just written a piece, even though I'm a total newb. Just gotta wait to see if it's published.

roderikk
January 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Amen to that.
I just think it is bizar to think that some people actually don't know anything about the different options. I mean, I have used windows for most of my life (still young ;-) ) but already in 2000 I decided to try it out just to see if it worked (was so daunted that I didn't touch it till last year...) (did get it installed and running though). But yesterday my new house mate asked me if I knew how he could play a (legal) dvd on his computer that didn't work in windows media player (don't ask me why, very strange...) and I told him a bit about the open source alternatives (which did run it of course). Then I showed him my linux pc (with beryl) and he was piqued. Anyway, I will gently introduce him to open source by telling him about firefox and giving him a live cd.

But to get back to my original intention of this post. I really have such a strong desire to shout from the rooftops to people that they have a choice.... I just know that you shouldn't, because it will only scare people away. Lets just make the best of it! BBC go! ;-)

betamax
January 23rd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Posted a reply on the site, whether it gets shown or not is another matter.

willskills
January 23rd, 2007, 05:16 PM
Well said bud, that's what I was thinking.... only I'm at work, and my boss is breathing down my neck to get a quote finished :)

roderikk
January 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Well said bud, that's what I was thinking.... only I'm at work, and my boss is breathing down my neck to get a quote finished :)
Haha! I was at work too (where I incidentally was able to install Ubuntu as well!!!) ... ;-)

Enverex
January 23rd, 2007, 07:02 PM
Currently seeing ZERO comments about anything other than Mac OSX or Windows on there :(

roderikk
January 23rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
There are one or two about linux and also one about Amiga OS?!?! (Of which I had never heard...) (http://os4.hyperion-entertainment.biz/)

But who knows, we are here with 250000 people of which 70% was active in the past month (read it on the planet), so with enough voices the bbc might notice us...

Enverex
January 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
There are one or two about linux and also one about Amiga OS?!?! (Of which I had never heard...) (http://os4.hyperion-entertainment.biz/)

Where were you from 1988 to 1996? lol.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
'85 to '96, and obviously using IBM compatibiles. Amiga was pretty but scarce, since it wasn't picked up by industry with nearly the enthusiasm as the IBM PC and PC-DOS.

mips
January 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM

More like '85. The fact that he is from europe where commodore amiga was very big is even stranger ?

Enverex
January 23rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Meh, PCs were too expensive here (in comparison) and Amigas had so many good games too.

mips
January 23rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
'85 to '96, and obviously using IBM compatibiles. Amiga was pretty but scarce, since it wasn't picked up by industry with nearly the enthusiasm as the IBM PC and PC-DOS.

I would not say they were scarce at all. The problem was not the markets enthusiasm for IBM PC but more a total lack on Commodores ability to market a product. They could not sell water to a man dying of thirst in the desert. It offered so much more than a pc clone.

doobit
January 23rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
I would not say they were scarce at all. The problem was not the markets enthusiasm for IBM PC but more a total lack on Commodores ability to market a product. They could not sell water to a man dying of thirst in the desert. It offered so much more than a pc clone.

I know that when they were on their last legs they tried a desperate push to sell the Toaster graphics system to small-market TV stations. A lot of them bit and then were stuck with unsupported hardware in a year or two.

ixus_123
January 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
My contribution. Might not be the best written but I figure it's important to make up the numbers on what seems to be a Mac dominated comments page.

I use Ubuntu Linux. I switched over to Linux from Windows years ago but I'm really impressed with how it has come along in the last few years. It's stable & secure. Virtually no viruses. The apt-get packaging system is amazing - this makes getting security updates or browsing & installing new programs a breeze - just a couple of clicks needed. No nasty EULA forced upon you either which is nice. Customizing the look & feel is easy too so you can have fancy bouncing icons, 3-D desktop, see-through windows or a minimalistic look to the desktop if you like that's perfect for older computers. I liek that with Linux you can run it on computers new or old rather than having to meet expensive hardware requirements for in the Windows / Apple world. You can even run your own website from Linux using Apache. The freedom & stability is amazing along with great end user support on the Ubuntu forums or IRC.

doobit
January 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
I like it. That's a good summary of benefits of Linux.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
what was that? a system that was LESS ready for the desktop won out?

The Commodore was remarkably capable--too capable. It was more than most businesses could really justify spending on a computer, given the very limited use for computers at the dawn of the PC era.

The Amiga had excellent sound and graphics, a GUI, and every feature you could have possibly wanted as a home desktop user. The problem? There weren't a lot of home desktop users!

IBMs started coming home in a big way when people took them home to do office/schoolwork at home, using "business" software. You could interchange programs and data with the IBM PC on your desk at work--so why bother with the excellent (but incompatible) Amiga?

Pretty doesn't win all the time.

aysiu
January 23rd, 2007, 09:45 PM
I'm glad they asked people to speak positively about their own operating system choice instead of bashing other operating systems.

That said, the comment about Windows being immediately useful made me laugh (Wordpad and Paint?).

I could probably write one for all three of them. I happen to appreciate Windows, Mac, and Linux. I've used all three extensively, and I would recommend any one of them, depending on the user's needs and means.

mips
January 23rd, 2007, 09:55 PM
what was that? a system that was LESS ready for the desktop won out?

The Commodore was remarkably capable--too capable. It was more than most businesses could really justify spending on a computer, given the very limited use for computers at the dawn of the PC era.

I dunno about where you live but over here the amiga was way cheaper than a PC clone so price was not the issue. It also had a perception as a games machine in the business world. They should have got more business applications out and done some proper marketing.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
I'm only working from published price data. I treated the subject extensively in a blog post:

http://ouij.livejournal.com/167664.html

note the prices at launch as well as the inflation-adjusted numbers

MaximB
January 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
I couldn't find ANY of your posts there
I've found only 2 Linux users there (and they weren't you ;)).
did I missed something or they just censor you ?

jclmusic
January 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
i just posted! :)

it wouldn't surpise me if we all get censored though.

doobit
January 23rd, 2007, 10:29 PM
They appear to be ignoring posts by USA residents.

mips
January 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
I'm only working from published price data. I treated the subject extensively in a blog post:

Well IBM introduced the 286 at the end of '86 for $4000 with 20MB HD & without monitor. The Amiga 2000 introduce at more or less the same time was $1500 but without a HD.

darrenm
January 23rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
I tried to pander to the kind of thing they want. Newb type speak, nothing political or agenda-ish :

Since getting hooked on Linux around 5 years ago I've never looked back. The current cream of the crop (Ubuntu Linux) is free, stable, secure, powerful and supports all of my hardware without the need for drivers. It comes free with a full office suite, digital video editing software, DVD playback software and anything else you can possibly think of. When you want to install a new piece of software you simply choose from a list and it gets automatically downloaded from the Internet and installed for you. This is the first operating system (Microsoft Windows included) that is actually ready for "Grandma" to use.

and Im from the UK. Fingers crossed.

rockrhino27
January 23rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
I noticed the link a few hours ago. I'm always reading the BBC. There definitely is not enough support for Linux in their user comments. I wouldn't be surprised if they only pick the interesting reasons why somebody switches. If we can think of some interesting reasons which makes Linux stand out over MAC OS and Windows then they will publish them. The funny part is that there are so many of them, we tend to overlook. One reason I remember switching is because it was easier to find a program I needed to do a particular task. I found apache easier to configure than IIS!! I found evolution more user friendly than Outlook!

My point:
I have an idea of something I want to do with my computer.
Linux = the software is out there and easy to configure
Windows = the software is hard to find, costs a lot of money, configuration at times can be simple.

Linux Rules!!!

=D>

jclmusic
January 23rd, 2007, 11:24 PM
I tried to pander to the kind of thing they want. Newb type speak, nothing political or agenda-ish :

and Im from the UK. Fingers crossed.

me too, but i seem to have been censored.

manmower
January 23rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Maybe it's just taking them a while to check your submissions. I haven't posted yet by the way, not enough time to write something decent. Maybe tomorrow...

bastiegast
January 24th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I felt like I just had to comment:

I use Ubuntu Linux for over a year now. I find it very user friendly. The user interface is straightforward and simple. It comes preinstalled with quality photo editing software, multimedia players, office software and lots more. Installing other software can be done in seconds with the fast package manager.
I don't use pirated software anymore since I don't need it and there are great free alternatives for Ubuntu. Viruses, malware and spyware are history and so are reboots. I recommend this OS to everyone who wants simplicity and easiness.

Typed in a bit of a hurry (I wanna sleep :P 15 past midnight and tomorrow a test at school) but I can't say the other comments are all that high quality either.

Polygon
January 24th, 2007, 01:33 AM
well at least the majority are mac os x comments, better then windows =P

anyway, i posted this:

I recently installed Linux (ubuntu) over a year ago, and I have not looked back. Installation is painless, as all you do is pop in a live cd and it boots into an actual usable operating system where you can try it out and install it without any trouble. Linux is free, open source and stable. You will not find any DRM or the such in Linux, and most distributions come pre installed with most everything you need. A web browser, a full featured image manipulating program, a office suite, media players, cd burning application, instant messaging program, and a great community to help you every step of the way.

Security and file/folder permissions are rock solid, and you will never find any viruses installing them selfs on your computer. Linux is also great for aging computers with a Pentium II processor that you thought would never be able to be productive again, but with a lightweight graphic user interface, that old computer may become useful again.

roderikk
January 24th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Ok, just to clarify, I am from '83 so I consider myself 'yougish' and in the described period of '85 to '96 I was blisfully unaware of anything besides my super duper XT...

frolle
January 24th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Flame on.

Yeah, thats for sure :)

betamax
January 24th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Umm a real lack of linux users on the list.
Seems a few of us here have posted but all seem to have been censored.

A damn conspiracy I tell ya !!
Wonder how much the "open-minded" BBC have been paid my Gatesy to moderate the posts.
(I'm not paranoid, just having a bad day...honest..)
Got to go my tin-foil helmet is ready to wear......
](*,)

Enverex
January 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Just to interject, a few comments in this thread are slightly off. Ubuntu isn't an OS, it's a distribution of Linux, the OS itself is GNU/Linux. The problem with making it out to sound like Ubuntu is in itself is an OS makes people think that other distributions aren't "interchangeable" with other Linux distros.

Enverex
January 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM

You're looking at the wrong machines, that's why. Look at the 500+, 600 and 1200. I'm pretty sure their prices dropped quite fast too as my parents bought me and my brother a 500+ and 1200 new at some stage in time and neither of them cost anywhere near a grand.

roderikk
January 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
We could also just send them this link that describes the 5 sins of Vista in the eyes of a big windows fan (http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/01/5-sins-of-vista.html)....

bastiegast
January 24th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Just to interject, a few comments in this thread are slightly off. Ubuntu isn't an OS, it's a distribution of Linux, the OS itself is GNU/Linux. The problem with making it out to sound like Ubuntu is in itself is an OS makes people think that other distributions aren't "interchangeable" with other Linux distros.

Windows OS = kernel + managing software + other software
Ubuntu = linux kernel + managing software + other software

I'd say Ubuntu is just as much an OS as windows is. It's just based on linux. It is even not completely compatible with other distro's since it uses .deb files / oter libraries etc. Ubuntu is just more compatible with other distro's than with windows.

The above comes from logical reasoning and absolutely no technical knowledge on the subject. But I think it is a good view on Ubuntu

kazuya
January 24th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I agree with last post. I believe Ubuntu, Pclinuxos, Mepis, Zenwalk, Suse, Gentoo, arch, slackware, etc are all OSes {operating Systems.} You could say derived operating systems from linux operating system.
Although, fairly similar to other linux distros or OSes, it has some uniqueness about it. In the end, they are all linux type Operating Systems.

If someone asks a window user what OS do you run, they may say windows XP, windows ME, Windows NT, Windows Server, and now Windows Vista.

If you ask a Mac user what OS they run, they may say OSX Tiger, Panther, Jaguar, etc...Few would say BSD, but that is the original kernel they ran and built from if I am not mistaken.

Correct me if I am wrong in this assumption. In the end, the definition of an OS is entirely up to the user or community. It is a subjective thing.

kazuya
January 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
They never published my choice. I sent a second and much shorter review complimenting the other OSes as well and then diverting briefly to linux. I would also recommend not putting the name of any of the linux OS as they may filter. I do not know why. In the next few hours I would see what they write.

roderikk
January 24th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Windows OS = kernel + managing software + other software
Ubuntu = linux kernel + managing software + other software

I'd say Ubuntu is just as much an OS as windows is. It's just based on linux. It is even not completely compatible with other distro's since it uses .deb files / oter libraries etc. Ubuntu is just more compatible with other distro's than with windows.

The above comes from logical reasoning and absolutely no technical knowledge on the subject. But I think it is a good view on Ubuntu

I always thought too that Linux referred just to the Kernel and nothing else. But again, also my technological knowledge on this matter is quite limited.

They never published my choice. I sent a second and much shorter review complimenting the other OSes as well and then diverting briefly to linux. I would also recommend not putting the name of any of the linux OS as they may filter. I do not know why. In the next few hours I would see what they write.

Well, they haven't updated the page over the pas 36 hours so they are probably processing all the feedback. Maybe they just intended the posts on the main page to be a sample so people would know what to write. We will probably see a later feature when they have processed all our entries. Still it would be a good idea for many of us to speak 'fondly' of our favourite operating system(s)....

BTW The second post is about Linux so I guess many people will actually get to read that!

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM
<pedant>
Linux is the kernel. GNU/Linux is the GNU operating system with a Linux kernel. There are many kernels on which GNU may run: GNU/HURD, for instance.
</pedant>

That said, in common use, "Linux" has come to mean the whole OS, both the kernel and the user-space.

manmower
January 24th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Entry submitted. By the way I don't think Linux is getting the shaft, they're probably just flooded with comments right now. Also why would they filter submissions mentioning Linux when they are explicitly asking for Linux supporters in the article? It's the BBC, not Fox. ;)

The widespread use of Linux as a server OS is a testament to its safety and reliability. Contrary to popular belief I find Linux performs just as well on the desktop. Free software applications are available for all common tasks one would expect a home computer to perform. On top of that you get unparallelled freedom. Freedom to choose what software (not) to run on your system but also to modify and redistribute this software. The GNU General Public License guarantees the preservation of these freedoms and thus liberates the user from depending on specific software (and hardware) vendors. Linux is slowly but surely gaining momentum and I feel it may very well one day precipitate a revolution in the software world.

doobit
January 24th, 2007, 05:45 PM
The article said they would print three of each. I think that's what they did and that's all they will do.

manmower
January 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM
We will select three of you to go head-to-head-to-head on the subject of your favourite operating system and will be contacting you with further instructions - so don't forget to include your e-mail address in the form below.

That is not the same as printing three of each. Or did you read this somewhere else? Either way if they were planning on printing three of each they seriously messed up (count the comments and the distribution of Windows/OS X/AmigaOS/Linux).

jclmusic
January 24th, 2007, 06:11 PM
It's the BBC, not Fox. ;)

the difference has somewhat shrinked since the whitewash hutton report.

AlanRogers
January 24th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Entry submitted... and mine
I make a living working on Windows, primarily fixing it. Why then would I want to present myself with the same issues on my own machines?

At home, I use Ubuntu Linux simply because it does what I need it to do. I've never needed to search for install files or disc, updates for all my installed applications are delivered to me rather than me go looking for them, and it's less resource-hungary than Windows.

Those are the up-sides but this is supposed to be a balanced debate. I still need a Windows computer to do some things that Linux cannot yet do, solely because the software is closed-source , proprietary and not yet ported to Linux. Also, I need to stay familiar with Windows in order to support it.

I started exploring Linux because it appears to me that Microsoft are forcing a market to exist for Vista. There hasn't been a new MS OS since 2002, 5 years ago, and MS have now announced that everything older than XP SP2 will be unsupported on launch of Vista. The majority of users out there will therefore need to upgrade their hardward in order to run Vista in order to remain supported.

My feeling was that there must be an alternative and there is. Converting to Linux is by no means easy or even for everyone but, if you feel as I do, it's definitely worth a look-see.

mips
January 24th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I recall a mate of mine that started working for a new company. They had linux servers inhouse allthough they were a IT/windows support company.

They sold windows to their clients so they would then be called for the support, that is where they made their money. They woud not run windows servers though as they were deemed to high maintenance and unreliable.

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I recall a mate of mine that started working for a new company. They had linux servers inhouse allthough they were a IT/windows support company.

They sold windows to their clients so they would then be called for the support, that is where they made their money. They woud not run windows servers though as they were deemed to high maintenance and unreliable.

Just like the drug game--How many bigtime dealers are also users?

DarkN00b
January 24th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Windows Vista - It does everything, its well designed, it brings a breath of fresh air to my PC. The best feature is still the right click and the options available to you, its simple to do what you want in less clicks. Vista is a serious competitor now and as machines get faster and demand more, the OS provides a new stable, gadget ridden experience. Worth the wait for sure.
Paul Sheppard, Bedford, England

This one is my favorite. The machines are getting faster and demanding more of the software run on them. :confused:

Oh yeah... and you can right-click. :D

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 08:41 PM
harrumph. Vista doesn't even have middle-click paste.

bastiegast
January 24th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Just noticed: on the right side there's all kinds of links, now note this part:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
Apple
Microsoft
Linux
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

They link to Linux.org ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Should we mail them? I can't think of an alternative sadly.

darrenm
January 24th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I do have to wonder about the BBC hiring policy these days. Their researchers and journalists are so out of touch with everything. I listen to Newsbeat on Radio1 and they report on things and get it completely and utterly wrong. They try and be so middle-ground with everything and end up never actually presenting anything in a correct light.
All the people saying Mac OS is beautiful have obviously never seen Beryl then.

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I do have to wonder about the BBC hiring policy these days. Their researchers and journalists are so out of touch with everything. I listen to Newsbeat on Radio1 and they report on things and get it completely and utterly wrong. They try and be so middle-ground with everything and end up never actually presenting anything in a correct light.
All the people saying Mac OS is beautiful have obviously never seen Beryl then.
Beryl is beta software, and emphatically not ready for the desktop. OSX to Beryl is not a valid comparison.

aysiu
January 24th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Not to mention the fact that Beryl is not empirically better-looking than Mac OS X's Aqua interface. It's a matter of personal preference.

PatrickMay16
January 24th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Just noticed: on the right side there's all kinds of links, now note this part:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
Apple
Microsoft
Linux
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

They link to Linux.org ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Should we mail them? I can't think of an alternative sadly.

Whough!!!!!!!!!!!!
What's wrong with linux.org?

bastiegast
January 24th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Whough!!!!!!!!!!!!
What's wrong with linux.org?

Maybe this obviously is meant sarcastic but I'm not sure what whough means so i'll give an answer anyway.

The answer is: I don't like linux.org and I seem not to be the only one. Just look at the site's design, is this supposed to represent such a great OS? Now there was a thread about this a while ago with plenty of reasons not to like linux.org. I'll see if I can find it. EDIT: Found it :is linux.org hurting linux? (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=251025&page=7&highlight=linux.org)

darrenm
January 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Beryl is beta software, and emphatically not ready for the desktop. OSX to Beryl is not a valid comparison.

It emphatically is ready for the desktop! A lot of OSS is forever in beta. The SVN version is unstable, the main repo is perfectly good to use. If Feisty is going to use Beryl and its not ready to be used in the mainstream then we are going to have some real problems with Feisty...

darrenm
January 25th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Not to mention the fact that Beryl is not empirically better-looking than Mac OS X's Aqua interface. It's a matter of personal preference.

TBH I've never used Mac OS X but I've seen plenty of videos on the web comparing Aqua, Aero and Beryl and neither come close to Beryl.

doobit
January 25th, 2007, 02:36 PM
harrumph. Vista doesn't even have middle-click paste.

And can you left click anywhere on the desktop in Vista to get user menus?
I think not! And "gadgets" looks a lot like "widgets." I wonder if the widgets developers could sue over that?

DarkN00b
January 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM
This is totally off topic -- but am I the only one who noticed the submission by Richard Cranium, London, UK?

What is a nickname for Richard and what is your cranium?

:lolflag:

Right under the watchful eye if the BBC. Considering the submission though, maybe they left it in to make Linux in general look bad.

bastiegast
January 25th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Ok they finally added a bunch of Linux users. What bugged me was that the only linux comments didn't say anything about the easiness and user friendly of some distro's. It was more about system design and configureability which are for the normal user not very interesting. Anyway, its more balanced now.

EDIT: I mean this:

linux for me--debian 3.1 currently. I prefer a multi-tasking multi-user operating system; I like to set it up my way; I prefer having a command line shell with command completion and a history mechanism. The C compiler is a comes-with; firefox is available, also emacs. Have been using linux since ver 0.13

It's true, but not really helping eliminating the current public opinion on linux.

manmower
January 25th, 2007, 03:33 PM
This is totally off topic -- but am I the only one who noticed the submission by Richard Cranium, London, UK?

What is a nickname for Richard and what is your cranium?

:lolflag:

Right under the watchful eye if the BBC. Considering the submission though, maybe they left it in to make Linux in general look bad.

Oh my. :o I would have never noticed that myself. :)

napsilan
January 30th, 2007, 06:25 AM
I think it's pretty neat that a mainstream news article includes Linux as a contender to Vista and OSX. Here is the Linux blurb. I think it is fairly well written and makes some good points given the size.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6309425.stm

OPEN SOURCE - LINUX

Paul Broadbent, UK

One of the advantages of Linux is its flexibility.

For the novice user it is straightforward to use, yet it also gives more experienced users radical powers over their computer which are not available in other operating systems.

Also there is a huge variety of high quality, free software available for Linux, and using a package manager it is trivial to choose one of these thousands of applications and install it in a couple of clicks.

Another significant advantage with Linux is that, unlike in Windows, there is no need to worry about security since viruses are very rare, no virus has yet spread successfully on the platform.

And using powerful desktops such as KDE and Gnome with stunning visual effects it is able to look even better than Vista and OS X.

Also, unlike Vista and OS X, Linux provides comprehensive support for languages such as Gaelic and Welsh.

Unfortunately Linux's use is less widespread than the competition, which means that hardware and mainstream games often lack official support, so they can occasionally be difficult to install.

However there are always many people on the internet ready to help out with any problems.

What really sets Linux apart is its social significance provided by the free software license. It encourages users to share the software they love with their friends, rather than making the act of sharing illegal and branding it piracy.

Also it encourages programmers to be better people, working in the open and allowing other programmers from across the world to help improve their software, rather than locking up their work with restrictive licences which prevent programmers from working together.

maniacmusician
January 30th, 2007, 06:27 AM
not too shabby.

aysiu
January 30th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I'm glad Linux is getting acknowledged. I like the screenshot they picked for Linux, too.