PDA

View Full Version : Testing the waters: Utilities for game servers

Phatfiddler
January 30th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Anyone that has run their own game server know the many questions involved, and the many files that require editing. The one thing worse than having to figure most of this stuff out, is hundreds of novices asking how to do the same simple tasks, day in and day out.

For example, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory has many mods that add features to the game, but these mods require specific configuration files that need extensive editing. To cope with this problem, I released a program w/GUI for the ETPub mod, but it only works in Windows, since I wrote it in VB.net 7 months ago before I discovered Linux.

The program lets users choose the settings they want using simple, easy to understand terms, and automatically detects conflicts and corrects them without having to bother the user for extra input.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in or be willing to help with a multi-platform version written in Python. It took me 3 weeks to completely write and debug the Windows version, and then another 2 to add multi-mod compatibility before I stopped updating it due to the complete source code loss. I really don't want to start the project again if I have to do it by myself, since I have a lot more going on now than when I did when I wrote the original version.

If you have Windows and want to test the original version, you can still get it from ETPub's site HERE (http://www.etpub.org/download.php?list.6) since the ETPub version it is based on is still highly popular.