PDA

View Full Version : My A key is broken, Sony wont fix it because I have linux?

Cyfr
January 29th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Well I went to PC World today because my A button is broke on my laptop and I took out insurance just incase I happened to be sick on my laptop, which I was. Anyway PC World said I had to send it to Sony and they said Sony won't repair it unless I have the original Windows installed. Apparently Sony will send it back to me if Linux is on. (Well at the moment nothing is on there, just a Ubuntu Live CD in the drive).

Does this seem right? What happens if I don't accept the Windows EULA? Which I never did, because I removed windows without even booting in to it.

I have no idea where the CD is and to be honest I can't be bothered with the hassle of having to install Windows on it, hopefully PC World are wrong? :(

dannyboy79
January 29th, 2007, 07:58 PM
the only way you'll find out is if you call sony and find out there insurance policy. don't just take PC worldd word for it.

BarfBag
January 29th, 2007, 08:01 PM
It's very possible that PC World is wrong, so I would give Sony a call and find out for sure. First, call them and ask the question directly. Don't give any personal information, though. If they act clueless or say no, call again and get another person. If you play dumb, you'll probably be able to get somewhere. This is how I deal with companies and support. :D

Mateo
January 29th, 2007, 08:05 PM
that's.... weird. if the problem is hardware related, I don't see why it matters what OS you have on it. If the problem is somehow software related and they simply don't know how to fix the problem, then you should take it somewhere else.

Choad
January 29th, 2007, 08:23 PM
i would pretty much go in the opposite direction of whatever PC World say. you're more likely to end up with the correct answer. they are monkeys

if sony do send it back because it doesnt have windows, you should kick up an almighty fuss. a person with moderate computer knowledge knows that software has (almost) nothing to do with whether the A key works. sony apparently MAKE computers, so you would have thought they would know at least as much as a "moderately informed" person.

Polygon
January 30th, 2007, 12:40 AM
why would they care if windows was on it? Honestly i think they just wipe the drive or even replace it when repairing laptops.

darkhatter
January 30th, 2007, 12:55 AM
just call them and get it over with

Ocxic
January 30th, 2007, 01:10 AM
They can't refuse to honor a warrentee that they provide just because of an OS change, besides, your problem is with the hardware not the software, so having windopws installed or not shouldn't make a difference.

Spr0k3t
January 30th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Generally the drive is completely ignored during hardware tests unless the problem is restitute of the drive itself. They should be able to test the functionality of the keyboard in the bios.

Cyfr
February 20th, 2007, 02:34 PM
My dad phoned them up while I was at college and explained that it had linux installed and would that be a problem. They said I have to do a full restore from the original disk before I can send it off to them.

kinematic
February 20th, 2007, 02:44 PM
you should check the insurance and see if it specifically states that windows needs to be installed or else it will be void.

prizrak
February 20th, 2007, 02:51 PM
The standard operating procedure for all warranty repairs is to call tech support. The standard operating procedure for tech support is to do a full system restore no matter how iditioc it may sound. They won't give you an RMA otherwise because they need to rule out software issues. I can tell you many idiotic stories but I won't :)

macogw
February 21st, 2007, 07:41 AM
Never send your computer back with the hard drive still in it. Who knows who'll decide to peak at your stuff? I mean, if you're getting a backup or having it cleared of viruses, then duh they need the hard drive, but well....obviously not the case and doing that stuff yourself is easy anyway.

Spr0k3t
February 21st, 2007, 10:12 AM
The standard operating procedure for all warranty repairs is to call tech support. The standard operating procedure for tech support is to do a full system restore no matter how iditioc it may sound. They won't give you an RMA otherwise because they need to rule out software issues. I can tell you many idiotic stories but I won't :)

Easy way around that... go into the bios without a drive installed. Call tech support. If the tech is worth their salt they will diagnose the problem with the lappy and give an RMA number. I mean seriously, how would they be able to determine a software problem if there is no software installed?

Cyfr
February 21st, 2007, 11:15 AM
Sigh this is so much damn effort for a broken a key. I can't find my recovery disk because I've had Ubuntu installed from day 1 so never thought I would need it.

Why the hell do I need to install windows :( Am I going to have to spend £20 or whatever ordering a recovery disk? Its such hassle.

steven8
February 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=50201012&Pn=Standard_107_Keyboard

Belkin standard keyboard. $7.99 compusa.com

Cyfr
February 21st, 2007, 11:24 AM
It's a laptop..

Spr0k3t
February 21st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Found something interesting you may want to take a look at:

http://www.impactcomputers.com/sony-vaio-parts.html

Tons of laptop parts. Just a little pricey by comparison, but you could literally build your own laptop from scratch if you wanted.

Cyfr
February 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM
Ahh! I phoned sony myself and explained I had never had windows installed and had no idea where the recovery cd was, they offered to send one but I assured them it was a hardware fault and not software (I mean what sort of software fault just renders the "a" key unuseable :p)

They're ringing me back to arrange a pickup.

I backed up my important things and formated the /home

steven8
February 21st, 2007, 11:54 AM
It's a laptop..

Oops. Missed that in your initial post. Glad they're working with you though. Way to hang in there!!

floke
February 21st, 2007, 12:10 PM
Generally the drive is completely ignored during hardware tests unless the problem is restitute of the drive itself. They should be able to test the functionality of the keyboard in the bios.

This is absolutely right. I've just had a key fixed on my PC and when I told Toshiba that I was running Linux I was told that they could just test it this way.