PDA

View Full Version : Did Vista Bring You to Ubuntu?

esaym
January 29th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Vista was the whole reason I moved to kubuntu. The closer the release date gets the sicker I feel. Is something wrong with me?

I am just so freaking discussed with vista. And it blows my mind that some people actually are looking forward to it!

*esaym vomits into his mouth alittle bit and swallows it

ShanghaiTeej
January 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I've actually had three friends inquire about Ubuntu because they've tried betas of Vista and are not happy at all. We will see what happens.

EmilyRose
January 29th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Its upcoming release made me want to give Ubuntu a try, see if I coulnd't finally get linux working properly - and I did, so yeah, I guess it sort of did...

Tomosaur
January 29th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Vista was not the reason I came to Ubuntu, but it's the reason I'll never willingly touch a Microsoft OS again :)

Kernel Sanders
January 29th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Vista was not the reason I came to Ubuntu, but it's the reason I'll never willingly touch a Microsoft OS again :)

Quoted for truth.

doobit
January 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I didn't even know about Vista before I came to use my first Linux distro, but I will not be installing Vista, even though I have one computer that uses XP.

whitefort
January 29th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I have two windows apps that I can't live without and that have no Linux equivalent. This chains me to XP on my main computer, though for everything else I use Ubuntu on my other PC.

But I won't ever use Vista. Won't buy it. WILL take it off any PC I buy.

And yes, it was Vista that made me decide to try Linux yet again (fourth attempt, over the years - but thanks to Ubuntu this time I'll be sticking with it).

renzokuken
January 29th, 2007, 04:21 PM
viruses and spywaremade me come to ubuntu a couple of years ago, as well wanting to do with MY computer what i wanted and not what someone THINKS i should do.

Vista is gonna open a can or worms, viruses and trojans. all the cracker-malware-kiddies will target it cos ...... well, its such a big target

SonicSteve
January 29th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I work with and support computers. This means that one day I may get a copy of Vista since it's really hard to support people who will be using it if I don't have it.

However, Vista did push me along the Learning Linux path. I don't remember why I chose to learn Ubuntu, it was a little more than a year ago when I first gave the flatulent badger a try. I realized that I could install it and use it, with little difficulty. I just didn't like that I didn't know the nuts and bolts of the OS. I still have alot to learn.

I tried the Vista betas and RC1, I didn't like them. They didn't have a driver for ATI 9250!!!, to that I said what kind of joke is this. What kind of RC doesn't have a basic ATI agp driver? Some release candidate!

hakimaki
January 29th, 2007, 04:27 PM

My sentiments exactly.

velvetGreen
January 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Vista wasn't the ultimate reason, I've wanted to try Linux for some time now largely because of don't want to be tied on a proprietary system and really dig the freedom to choose your OS.

I must confess I am happy making the switch now when reading articles like these. (http://polishlinux.org/gnu/drm-vista-and-your-rights/)

undertakingyou
January 29th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I went to ubuntu because I was sick of microsoft in general. My work requires that I duel boot because I have to have access, etc. However, Vista is just confirming my decision that windoz sucks!

UNDERTAKINGYOU--
------------------------

glabouni
January 29th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I've been using windows 2000 as my main OS for years now, I've looked at xp features and as a result never wanted to even try it, and never did.

now that win2k is getting too old for microsoft to support it, I gave myself till vista release date to fully switch to a linux flavour which lead me to ubuntu.

I've been playing around with breezy and dapper and got myself edgy on a brand new box.

Now that I've tried ubuntu for a few weeks I've figured out this is not a linux flavour that suits me and my needs.
Aside from me unwillingly breaking the system, I've had too much broken or obsolete stuff in ubuntu, it includes too many stuff I don't wan't or need, doesn't provide enough stuff I do need, gnome is getting in my way too often and I've experienced way too many crashes, instabilities and error messages (more than with win2k I'm afraid) to meet my minimum standard for a desktop environment .

Still, there's no way I'm going to use xp or vista, I'm now going to further test other flavours, hoping I'll find one that gives enough room for personal customisation and needs while not being a total linux from scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/)

Lil_Eagle
January 29th, 2007, 04:41 PM
It seems that so far the majority of the people answering this poll didn't switch specifically because of Vista, but they all seem to have a negative opinion about it, as do almost all users of Linux.

However, as everyone knows, most hardware vendors will pre-install it, thus most people will end up using it. Until PC's with Linux (ubuntu, fedora, xantos, linspire, it doesn't matter) start showing up in the stores, Linux will not reach the mainstream. Perhaps when people realize the DRM that Vista has, they will start looking for something else, but don't count on it.

What really makes me smile is when a person who's only seen XP comes over and see's my desktop (especially if I have beryl running). Very rarely can they understand that THIS is linux. Most people picture a bunch of geeks typing on the command line all the time.

Unfortantely, I do that too, I almost always have a terminal running on on of my pages. Quite often they leave with a Kubuntu CD :D.

Henry Rayker
January 29th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I came to Ubuntu about a year ago. One of my classes (Computer Engineering major) required that we use the gcc compiler; given that support was only given for linux by our TAs, I decided that, rather than sitting in a computer lab all day on campus, I'd buy a laptop, install a linux distro and use it (grudgingly) just for school.

Once I got wireless up and running, I felt a little better about it and started using the laptop more and more. Over the summer, I was still running XP on my desktop and booting my laptop into Ubuntu when I felt like moving around. I got an internship with AMD at one of their design centers and, upon arriving for my first day, realized the command-line knowledge I'd picked up was going to be beneficial, given that the entire design center was running on Red Hat.

Now, my desktop still only has windows (it's a crotchety old system with LOADS of my data on it and only about 2 GB free (data all on separate partitions, Windows on another). I COULD install Ubuntu, but I'd have to back up my files due to the NTSC partitions on the desktop =\ The computer is being replaced (really, I'm building a new computer and the current one will become a mythtv box when that happens) so I'll wait til then. It only gets booted once or twice a week when I need something off it or something.

Vista didn't cause me to come here (I'd say my major and my work experience did) but it certainly helps to back up my decision.

scrooge_74
January 29th, 2007, 04:56 PM
My only reason to stick with MS would be my accounting software, but since it runs almost perfect on wine, I don't need to have any MS OS installed anymore :D

kexodusc
January 29th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Vista's RC1 and Beta didn't run so hot on my machine - I started dabbling in Linux last summer. It wasn't until XP buggered up and re-installing it took 3 times, only to trigger Microsofts Genuine Advantage, which subsequently ID'ed my legit OS as pirated, which lead to a support hotline call where the guy accused me of pirating, did I finally try Ubuntu.
That was early December - haven't looked back since.

bonzodog
January 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I have two windows apps that I can't live without and that have no Linux equivalent.

What are these two apps? Are you sure that there is no linux equivalent? Have you asked in here?

If there really is no replacement, have you tried them on wine/crossover?

I didn't vote, as I have been a dedicated Linux user for ~10 yrs now.

maxamillion
January 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Technically Vista did not bring me to ubuntu (or linux for that matter). But a few years ago when they first released the original screenshots of "Longhorn" (which is the name they kept for the server, but altered the desktop convention) a friend of mine and I made a pact to be Microsoft free by the time it was released.... I kept my end of the bargain, he on the other hand still has a windows laptop :(

xhaan
January 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
In a roundabout way, yes.
I decided a while back to phase out Windows.. I wont be getting any new versions of it and I'm hoping to eventually do everything on Linux. I still have some games that only work on Windows and there are still sites out there that only work with IE, plus formats and junk.
I was just at my state government site looking up some info for a friend, and there was a wmv for download on there and the button says its for Windows Media Player - no consideration for other operating systems, and this is a government site for crying out loud.

Microsoft either needs to learn how to share, or just go away.

rev_b
January 29th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Yes. After installing Vista RC2, I imediatly started looking for an alternative OS. I ended up with Ubuntu.

And I'm not the only one. IMHO, Vista was the best thing that happened to Linux in years. People are just sick to being treated as criminals until proved otherwise, and paying for an OS that devotes half of its resourses (ok, I'm exagerating) checking out if indeed you're not a thief. So I have to buy better hardware in order to keep my system running properly, but if I upgrade my PC too much, I have to prove again that I'm running a legit copy.

So yes, Vista is actually turning many people to linux.

whitefort
January 29th, 2007, 05:56 PM
What are these two apps? Are you sure that there is no linux equivalent? Have you asked in here?

I'm involved in 3D graphics and animation, and the two particular programs are Vue d'Esprit (for creating very realistic outdoor/landscape scenes) and Poser (for general 3D character animation.)

I know about Blender, which is a really stupendous application. I use it for some effects - in fact I was using it on my Windows PC long before I ever considered Linux. In theory everything I'm doing in Vue & Poser could be done in Blender, and if I didn't have deadlines I would seriously consider it - but it would involve an AWFUL lot more work, and at present it's reallly not an option.

In the 3D forums there are recurring discussions about getting these other apps to run in Linux, but the consensus seems to be that as yet it's either impossible or cripples the programs to a point where they're just interesting curiosities.

I dunno. At present I'm trying to use the Gimp to wean myself off Paint Shop Pro, and I think the day will come when I WILL ditch those apps... I turned to Linux as a sort of anti-Microsoft gesture (not very praiseworthy, I know!), but more and more I'm getting convinced by the philosophy behind Linux & Open Source. Plus Ubuntu is the only version of Linux that I've stuck with for more than a week or so! Not EVERYTHING works out of the box, but it's a vast jump forward compared my previous explorations of Linux.

Yeah, I'll be sticking with it this time.

Sefrin
January 29th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I would have to vote 'no' as I had been trying for a year or two to genuinely switch over to a linux distro.

After coming to a linux community however I, for whatever reason, started reading a lot about Microsoft and their policies/legal issues. It actually made me kind of glad that I've given myself (and because I am knowledgable now, my family members) a choice. I am confident to say now that I will probably never use Vista for anything important to me at least (I hope the way things go that remains the truth).

I have also become sick and tired of hearing the stories of legitimate customers spending hours/days fighting with anti-piracy technologies included in products and piraters using the same product to their full potential.

I want my computer to work for me, not the people who have some of my money.

Sunflower1970
January 29th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Yes. Vista is making me look for an alternative. Of course the XP crash I had last month was the real nail in the coffin for Windows software products.

I had a chance to play around with Vista over the weekend when I went to Fry's and they had a demo up. I wasn't impressed at all. After what I've seen of the demos with Compiz and Beryl, and even Enlightenment 17, Vista seemed dull. I was more impressed with the Macs I played around with though. (and I'm not a big Mac fan, really)

I don't like what MS is doing and how they're trying to regualate everything that goes on to a computer. I didn't like it with XP, but at least it's, to a degree, a bit more manageable. I don't feel (that) spied upon.

My Pentium 4 computer is fast and still feels brand new at times (even though it was purchased in 2002). I don't feel the need to upgrade to all this brand new stuff especially when I have a good working machine for many years to come. Linux has breathed new life into it, and an old PII as well that otherwise would have been thrown out.

Mateo
January 29th, 2007, 06:37 PM
no, the bugginess of Media Center did, only to find out that MythTV is just as buggy (but I stayed anyways).

DrainBead
January 29th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Vista was the whole reason I moved to kubuntu. The closer the release date gets the sicker I feel. Is something wrong with me?

I am just so freaking discussed with vista. And it blows my mind that some people actually are looking forward to it!

With Vista Windows has finally gotten what i have been looking for security wise so it's quite possible that i'll deploy MS systems more frequently in the future.

So for me, it's the other way around.

MethodOne
January 29th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Nope. I discovered it during the summer of 2005, long before I heard the horror stories of Vista. The programs that keep me from switching are a paid subscription-based program that loads game ROMs from the author's server into RAM and plays them in special builds of open-source emulators, a VMware Player frontend called moka5 (http://www.moka5.com), iTunes downloads (not a big deal because I just got a Mac running OS X), and a WMA-based music service for American college students called Ruckus (http://www.ruckus.com).

demonhunter
January 29th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I came to Ubuntu before I tested Vista. Vista just made me love linux more and more. But it didn't bring me to ubuntu.

Ubunted
January 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Didn't bring me here, but it sure is doing a damn good job of keeping me here.

kexodusc
January 29th, 2007, 08:25 PM
:lolflag:

EvilMarshmallow
January 29th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I voted yes, but it's only partially true.

I couple years ago I tried to play with RedHat with little success. The desire has been there to move but I played games so much that I wasn't willing to give it up.

The last few months, I've only been playing one game: Call of Duty (1). So when I started reading that it ran even better for some people in wine, I decided to make the switch. I was also starting to see how expensive the next generation of Winblows would be (Vista + Office) > (My House Payment) -> WTF?

At first I was going to dual boot and wean myself away from XP. Then I decided that it would be better to quit cold-turkey. So, I did. Ubuntu Edgy is the only thing on my computer. I've gotten everything but my onboard audio driver working in the last month and I am happy as can be. Also, I'm starting to discover some games in Linux that I never knew existed... Battle for Wesnoth was my latest discovery last night. That'll eat through my days for a while, I'm sure!

Cold-turkey was probably the best thing I could have done. It forced me to learn... if I could still boot to XP, I'd probably still be using it as a crutch. Now, I have a big motivation to figure it out... if I don't, I don't get to run my program / play my game / whatever.

ljpm
January 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I converted because of a combination of XP Media Center and a Hauppauge pvr 150 TV card.

I purchased the TV card last year and upon installing it found out that if you are running Media Center you could not install the Hauppauge software that came with the card. I didn't even get an option if I wanted to use Hauppauge softeware or the Mediacenter software.

I switched with in a week to Ubuntu.

Ironically, the TV card is the one thing I still haven't got working, lol.

gamerchick02
January 29th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I voted yes, even though I have never tried Vista. I've read about all of the issues surrounding Vista on various news sources including Slashdot (although they aren't the best barometer for Windows-related stuff) and I can't bear to upgrade to it.

I think I will go completely over to Ubuntu before I upgrade to Vista.

Mateo
January 29th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I converted because of a combination of XP Media Center and a Hauppauge pvr 150 TV card.

I purchased the TV card last year and upon installing it found out that if you are running Media Center you could not install the Hauppauge software that came with the card. I didn't even get an option if I wanted to use Hauppauge softeware or the Mediacenter software.

I switched with in a week to Ubuntu.

Ironically, the TV card is the one thing I still haven't got working, lol.

I have XP Media Center and a PVR150... I don't understand what you mean though. did you get the two products separately? Are you saying hauppauge has its own TV software that you could not run? That sounds weird..

natedawg
January 29th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I have been dual booting Ubuntu since its beginning. I however find it very hard to let go of XP. The two big problems with leaving windows is photoshop and my slingbox. Although I could do away with the slingbox :) But now that Vista is finally coming out I thing I going to find it much easier to use Ubuntu. And I now thinking that next computer I buy should be a Mac so I can boot all Operating systems. So all and all Vista didn't bring me to Ubuntu but its a good reason to stay with Ubuntu. :D

getaboat
January 29th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I need a new home PC for my MS based .Net (web) development work - but I do not want Vista. XP Pro is good, stable and does the job. Agree with earlier post on W2K though. Soon Dell etc will only be shipping Vista - MS will be shutting the XP door,

For my personal stuff at home - I'm a Ubuntu convert. Lots of Ubuntu plans!

ljpm
January 29th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I have XP Media Center and a PVR150... I don't understand what you mean though. did you get the two products separately? Are you saying hauppauge has its own TV software that you could not run? That sounds weird..

Yea, I bought them separately. The bundled software is for XP/2000. If you are have Media edition you run it with Media center.

software for XP/2000 is winTV2000

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr150.html

Media center software can be seen at

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx

I don't know if winTV2000 is better or not. I just don't lke not having the choice.

FuturePilot
January 29th, 2007, 11:24 PM

Yes in a way it did. Maybe not directly but perhaps indirectly. I think it all the problems with Windows was the main reason. Or maybe just wanting to try Linux out. What ever it was I feel in love with Linux. But anyway I'm glad there's someone else that shares the same view on Vista. I'm already sick of it and it hasn't even been released. Nothing is wrong with you, it makes me feel sick too.

HoMe_CaNiBaL
January 29th, 2007, 11:29 PM
my say NO!

i'm sick and tired from windows in MY computer.i give a big try at linux and i'm very happy at this time.windows is only on clients machine.

nu2this
January 29th, 2007, 11:45 PM
It was EULAs, curiosity,and IE7 that caused me to look at linux. It was this forum & Ubuntu's
simplicity that caused me to stay.

AndyCooll
January 30th, 2007, 12:07 AM

This about sums things up for me too.

:cool:

cowlip
January 30th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Pretty much. My next desktop upgrade will be to Ubuntu. I've tried Vista and it's just such crap compared to what XP was, even when that was first released. When MS ends security upgrades for XP I will definitely fully switch over all my desktops to Ubuntu.
BTW that's odd that your hauppauge pvr 150 doesn't work in Linux. I was under the impression that the 150-500s work perfectly now, at least with kernel 2.6.20

It's with ATI cards and other no names that I've had problems with. Which is why I don't buy ATI, period.

Chicken_Man
January 30th, 2007, 12:59 AM
When I have a computer to spare (not my own) I might download Vista just to try it out. I haven't seen much of it but I feel that the UI is way too extreme to be used on desktop computers, in a sense of 'it's so damn fancy that I'd rather go back to the old and simple windows 98'. The 3d interface just doesn't belong. It would fit perfectly, say, in a VR kind of OS. Not on a flat monitor.
As for what brought me to Ubuntu, I'd say the experience I need for my summer job and my preference of writing and running C and Java code under linux rather than windows.

Audimage
January 30th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I gave Ubuntu a shot in 09/06. I just wanted to give linux a try, and ubuntu had been recommended to me by several friends. Shortly after, I found out about the abomination that is called Windows Vista. I'd been aware of longhorn, but didn't have a clue about all of the things they were integrating into the OS. Subsequently, I decided to keep at Ubuntu (which I liked quite a bit), and wave Microsoft goodbye. I have no hard feelings for XP and will still use it (via VMware) for Photoshop (I know, I know...GIMP) and IE (I need it for some websites on campus. If anybody has a suggestion for an alternative for activex, please let me know. ).

Also, those of you who absolutly HAVE to have applications that run only on windows, give VMware a shot. It is a free virtual machine application. I prefer it to wine.

drewwa
January 30th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Vista wasn't the main reason, but it may have been the final straw.

I'd been disatisfied with Windows for years with the constant patching, AV and firewall updates. I like having computers around the house, but being a full time sysadmin was annoying me and the family. Difficult to enjoy and herald the benefits of music/video streaming and network printers when stuff kept crashing or seizing up every few hours (usually when i was out of the house).

I'd tried Linux before and been defeated by not enough device drivers. Ubuntu 6.10 finally cracked it for me.

Add to that the fact that Vista is too heavy for my current hardware and Ubuntu works beautifully on it even running Beryl - I'll not be needing Windows again.

Cheers,

Drew.

Lil_Eagle
January 30th, 2007, 03:51 PM
It was EULAs, curiosity,and IE7 that caused me to look at linux. It was this forum & Ubuntu's simplicity that caused me to stay.

Interesting that you mention EULA. Have you seen the EULA from Novell? Even OpenSuSe has it, and it's not much better than the one's we reject. The Novell/MS flamewars are not over, but it seems that long before that partnership the EULA on SuSe was in place (since 9.3 I believe).

The main reason I run Kubuntu is not for the simplicity, it is the policy of the company behind it. I chose Kubuntu because I dislike gnome (and it's oversimplification of things). However, I understand the reasoning behind it.

I tried Vista, running the release candiate in a VM, and was not impressed. Of course I didn't see the 'aero' interface because my VM wouldn't give it 128M of graphic memory, and I don't know whether my video card can handle WDDM anyway.

What ticks me off so much about Vista is that it requires such a demand on the hardware. Why? Because it's full of Bloatware. So it Klik by the way. Don't install apps with Klik!.

The approach of modern programmers to make programs non-efficient because 'the systems today are fast enough and have more than enough memory' is no excuse for poor/sloppy programming. I can remember the days when the whole OS fit in a 10K ROM, and we had a whoppig 16K of memory to use.

I guess that shows my age. I regret that I didn't switch to Linux a long time ago, back in the early days when Red Had and Mandrake were the only real choices.

earobinson
January 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I was here long before vista!

juyanith
January 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I voted "yes" although it's only true this time around. I used to run linux and dual-boot windows 3.1 way back in the day. I was in the minority among my friends however and, over time, wanted to play games with them and surf the web. So, I had to boot into windows. (This was around the time that Netscape had a horrible bug under linux that would cause it to crash whenever you hit a website with a java applet on it. Clicking on a link was like Russian roulette. :shock: ) Also, my friends would send me word documents and so forth that (at the time) I couldn't read under linux.

So around the time NT came out, I was almost always in windows and eventually removed the linux partition. I had to use windows at work anyway, so the transition to XP was a natural process. This is not so true this time around. While I would enjoy vista's eye candy, I don't care for MS to have control over my OS and more importantly, me! I am aghast at the DRM "features" in vista and hate the idea that my own hardware is spending so much of its time checking up on me. If I could disable the DRM stuff (and not watch "premium" content) it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it doesn't work that way.

However, I am really worried that the computer industry is going down a path similar to the automotive industry. When cars were first available, they were a hobbyist's toy. You worked on them yourself and you were free to change what you liked. Over time though, they became a commodity for the masses and laws were even enacted to prevent you from working on them. Most people don't care, so cars have become less and less user serviceable. This is the future I see unfolding for computing and fully expect one day to be forced back into using something like vista because I won't be able to interact with everyone else otherwise.

For now though, I can run Ubuntu and do all the things I want to do. The weakness is still games, but I have less time now to play anyway. I truly hope that vista does open the door for a change in the industry, but I don't see the business logic to support that idea. People will buy vista because of the new (to them) features and eye candy and in the process give up control over their own hardware. In another five years, this will be so common that people will look at you strangely when you complain about the lack of linux drivers, just like when you tell them that you change the oil on your car yourself.

seijuro
January 30th, 2007, 10:52 PM

Same deal for me I was running Ubuntu for months before I even knew about Vista but as quoted above it ensures I will never touch Windows again.

esaym
January 31st, 2007, 01:49 AM
Lots of interesting replies. Thanks guys!

Jellicletrb
January 31st, 2007, 01:55 AM
I had to vote "Yes". I do nearly everything online, my banking, filing taxes, shopping....and XP was worrisome enough for me. I remember installing the ZoneAlarm firewall with no permissions, and being downright astounded by the number of things wanting access to the internet from XP, that I had no clue as to what they were or who they wanted to talk to. And everything that I was reading told me that Longhorn/Vista was going to be an even bigger disaster. So, I started looking for a secure alternative and ended up here.

tictacman
January 31st, 2007, 02:50 AM
Yes, I've known vista was coming for the last few years and have since then been thinking about what to do. In truth i've been trying linux off and on since suse 7.3 (i remember some of the kde menu or context boxes were still in german and hadn't translated into english properly:D ) but I always reluctantly ended up windows once again.

During the last week or so, since trying linux again, I can see a credible alternative to the problem of either being inprisoned in a lockdown vista or putting up with an aging xp that doesn't even recognise my sata hard drives on a reinstall. Over the next couple of week i'm going see how far I can push Ubuntu into doing everything I need it to, and I'd say I'm somewhere around the 70% mark at the moment.

I booted into xp last night for the first time in a while, and almost instantly I missed my ubuntu desktop. As it was a fairly fresh install of xp my first thoughts were...have I got my firewall on?...What about the antivirus?...quick disable the network....Yuck, who needs that.

WalmartSniperLX
January 31st, 2007, 03:01 AM

same here :guitar:

ice60
January 31st, 2007, 03:22 AM
i've never used vista, and i'm not really a windows basher either. i did see this though earlier today -

Vista - 'Viruses, Instability, Spyware, Trojans, Adware'

lol, i think that's so funny

beercz
January 31st, 2007, 03:27 AM
I came to linux even before XP was born!

I started using Ubuntu with Warty, so the answer to the OP question is No for me.

C-A
January 31st, 2007, 03:46 AM
Vista did not bring me to Ubuntu but XP will be the last M$ OS that I buy. I tried an early release candidate for vista. It did not impress me enough to even think about the hardware upgrades my pc would need to run vista at a reasonable speed. Once XP becomes somewhat obsolete, my pc will no longer boot a M$ OS.

Zuuswa
January 31st, 2007, 03:49 AM
Back in August 06, I was downloading a crack for some proprietary software off of a seedy website (common practice for me at the time), when my XP contracted a virus. Within 2 hours my system degraded to that of a paperweight -- XP refused to even boot. So I tried the Vista RC, and wanted to gouge my eyes out with a rusty melon scooper.

Having tried linux before (Mandrake 5.x, almost a decade ago), I thought I would give it another shot, as my first foray into open source resulted in me returning to *******. As soon as the Dapper livecd loaded, and I found that I could be 90% productive out of the box, I didnt even bother trying to dual boot. The forums (and all of you who participate in them), however, ensured that I stayed through thick and thin.

And every time I hear that somebody is excited for Vista, it feels like a little part of me deep down inside is dying a horribly agonizing death.

jmomandia
January 31st, 2007, 02:56 PM

Same here.

GFree
February 1st, 2007, 01:40 AM
I answered yes, though Vista actually brought me to openSUSE (for now) instead of Ubuntu, though it's Linux all the same so I hope you don't get too angry. :D

I've been running Vista for some time now, with the activation bypassed through various means, but I knew it wouldn't work forever. I also had some personal issues with the DRM and the Trusted Computing push, but the decision to switch was brought to ahead only yesterday when MS released a patch for vista which would supposedly improve compatibility with older software.

Sometime afterwards I had difficulty browsing the net, because pages would often stop downloading midway through the page, forcing a refresh. This because so common that I had to check if the modem/router/line was stuffed. Eventually I pulled the recent updates and this fixed the problem, but pissed me off to no end. It took forever to locate the problem, and I was worried about the future. What if another patch came which screwed with the performance of another component? Would I even realize this, or would I continue blindly pushing my way through a cracked OS (which I'd never pony up the money to purchase) with lackluster performance? There wasn't any technical information about the patch, merely my observed symptom.

Eventually the penny dropped. I realized my time had come. For years I wanted to convert totally to Linux, but didn't have the balls to do so. I'm a geek, so surely it would be easy, but I'm still a gamer and prone to human weakness. Turns out Steam and most games on it work just fine in Linux with WINE and a little help, so I decided to pull out all stops and go for it. So far, it's working nicely.

The reason I'm using openSUSE 10.2 instead of Ubuntu for now is because the last time I tried Ubuntu, it was broken, unpolished and lacking in certain areas. Maybe it's better, I dunno. You do have the largest community though, and even with SUSE I've found many resources on these forums. Anyways, that's my story. ):P

click4851
February 1st, 2007, 03:47 AM
I was trying/toying with linux for awhile (Mandrake/Mandriva) but it was always secondary to Winxp. I made the switch to Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog, when Mandriva started/continued to struggle for direction, and for me, complexity. News of Vista pushed me to slowly force myself to do more and more with Linux and less with WinXP. At this point Linux does it all, I keep Winxp just for some games I like, but eventually I'm hoping things like Open Arena, Nexwiz, and such take over.

Kateikyoushi
February 1st, 2007, 04:15 AM
I used BSD and linux for years home and at work as well, last summer tried vista and realized it puts and end to the career of those early XP PCs so tried to find a user friendly linux which can breathe new life into those rigs and here I am.

some_random_noob
February 1st, 2007, 04:18 AM
No, XP was crap enough for me to change. Vista is like some kind of joke.

esaym
February 1st, 2007, 05:35 AM
And every time I hear that somebody is excited for Vista, it feels like a little part of me deep down inside is dying a horribly agonizing death.

haha glad I'm not the only one

stanh
February 1st, 2007, 06:23 AM
I have to use Vista since I am a forensic examiner. That being said, I'm tired of all the bloated code, constant patches etc. Ubuntu interested me because of the philosopy, and the Forum help.

I'm struggling to get my basic stuff working. Have worked for a week trying to get my wireless to work but I'll get it sooner or later.

rocknrolf77
February 1st, 2007, 06:39 AM
Vista didn't bring me to ubuntu. Xp did, because it was just getting slower and sloower and sloooooower. Started with breezy with no knowledge at all. Though it was dapper that made me use linux about 98% of the time i'm on my comp. Just hoping that openGL will be used more by game developers in the future. The gaming arena in linux is slowly growing and linux is rapidly growing so I guess it's just have to sit back waiting , and things will get better. :guitar:

Spr0k3t
February 1st, 2007, 07:36 AM
I don't think it was Vista that made me jump off the Microsoft Train(wreck), it was more the DRM enveloped within Vista that I despised so much. So if I could vote, it would be a bit of both.

purdy hate machine
February 1st, 2007, 09:20 AM
Did Vista Bring You to Ubuntu?

No, but Ubuntu brought me to Vista.
People on this forum seem to talk about Vista so much I thought I would install it on a work machine and see what all the fuss was about.

prizrak
February 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM
I didn't got to Ubuntu because of Vista and I honestly doubt that many non techies would switch to Ubuntu because of it. However I do think that we will see alot of people migrating to OS X to be able to watch their HD content in actual HD.

Ghil
February 1st, 2007, 03:33 PM
I got into linux 6 years ago with Mandrake :P I'm reluctant to use XP, and I won't ever touch Vista. -_-

motang
February 1st, 2007, 05:07 PM

You are spot on with that. I wasn't impressed with the Vista beta and I don't intend on getting the full version on my system when I am perfectly happy with Ubuntu. Plus those Aero effect that Microsoft has introduced takes way more memory and CPU power than Beryl/Compiz + XGL. Also we get more customization with Beryl so I am very happy with Ubuntu and will stick with it as it a great OS.

Thanks Ubuntu team!

Adamant1988
February 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM

I've seen people inquiring more into alternative OS's. Particularly Mac OSX since it's the second most known option. Right now I'm suggesting shopping around with distributions, I keep a number of live-disks on me, but for a lot of my friends and family who have relatively new, or unfriendly systems, Ubuntu is not something they'd be prepared to take the time to deal with. They would rather "install and go" so to speak, so less dealing with things like Flash Plugins, Mp3 Codecs, and libdvdCSS, things of that nature.

The response to vista in almost every article I have read has been very luke-warm and mostly highlight the massive demands it places on your system, and how poorly it uses your system resources. The DRM lock-in is getting quite a bit of attention as well, personally, XP is it for me. I'm stopping there, Microsoft is not going to be getting my business and if I can help it, they won't be getting my friends or family's business either.

The launch of Vista and the subsequent backlash of disappointment's from the world is a good opportunity to promote Linux. But there is still a ton of work to be done before Linux is going to be a real threat to Microsoft.

lyceum
February 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM
I came to Linux/Foss looking for a new OS to learn, as I could not afford a Mac (May, last year). I fell in love with Ubuntu when Dapper came out, and Ubuntu has been my main OS since. I dual booted with Vista when the RC2 came out, and it looked nice, but babied me to death! I want an OS that treats me like an adult and that I can mess with, not some locked down piece of junk that won't let me do squat!!! But I do like Vista's networking.

I did write them a profesional letter letting them know why I would stick with Ubuntu and why I would sell PC with Ubuntu only, and the things I liked and did not like about Vista. I am sure it will make them take notice :D

M_the_C
February 1st, 2007, 05:35 PM
I installed Ubuntu before I had heard much about Vista.

It came on a DVD with PC Answers.

floke
February 1st, 2007, 09:57 PM
People on this forum seem to talk about Vista so much I thought I would install it on a work machine and see what all the fuss was about.

And.....?

Klaidas
February 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM
No windows brought me to linux. But no linux will stop me from windows either ;)

Sefrin
February 2nd, 2007, 04:13 AM

If that's the case, whatever you do, don't go to the Vista section of Gamespot. :confused:

shareMenaPeace
February 2nd, 2007, 04:54 AM
(Vista + Office) > (My House Payment) -> WTF?
Yes, wtf - i want even use it for free, its so unprofessional!

Eventually the penny dropped. I realized my time had come. For years I wanted to convert totally to Linux, but didn't have the balls to do so.
Got a new computer and took this chance :)
First i had xp with ubuntu running, but after a few days i decided to get rid of xp complete :)
With beryl and ubuntu this is the ultimate desktop experience to me.
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=beryl&search=Search

Cheers

macogw
February 2nd, 2007, 04:56 AM

yeah....I mean, I'll touch it to fix it or for work, but for normal use? bleh. I installed Vista for 4 days (I was going for a week), but I just kept going "I want Linux back..." and I'd only been using Ubuntu for 4 months at that time.

albeano2004
February 2nd, 2007, 07:03 AM
Today I had a rather interesting experience with Vista. I wanted to see what it was like without actually having to buy or download the thing, so I went into my local Noel Leeming electronics store, to see what they had. I asked to see a demo of Vista, so the salesman walked me over to the stand where they had all the boxes with Vista CDs/DVDs in them. I then told him that I didn't want to see the boxes, I wanted to see it running (politely of course).
So he goes over to a Compaq laptop with the Vista logon screen displaying. The salesman bumped the touchpad with his finger. Nothing happened. Bumped it again. Nothing happened. A third bump of the touchpad yielded no results either. The thing had frozen! A quick restart later, and it was up and running though. And so concludes my experience with Vista. I dunno if that is typical behavior or not, but I wasn't too confident, considering that it froze at the logon screen, when performing no function whatsoever.

purdy hate machine
February 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM

And.....?

And..... nothing. I didn’t want to go into too much detail as it would take the thread slightly off topic but as you asked as first impressions go so far so good. The ability to be able to restore individual files to different points in time is pretty useful. The constant UAC pop-ups are annoying as hell though.

gorg
February 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
it was the wga that made me give up on windows. they said my legal copy was illegal and i had to pay for another copy. a friend mailed some linux cd's and i picked ubuntu. now, to learn how this beast operates.
i'm off to get some plugins.

galvatron1983
February 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Curiosity brought me to Kubuntu, the same reason why I use Mac OS X. Ive been interested in OSes for some time, and when I heard about the virtues of Linux I just had to give it a try, and with a little research (and DistroWatch.com!) I chose Ubuntu, and since them Ive settled upon Kubuntu as my weapon of choice. I just prefer KDE to GNOME.

Also the fact that I was beginning to grow tired of all the maintenance WinXP required just to keep it running (not neccesarily running well either) made me stray from the dark side.

the.dark.lord
February 2nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
Nope, I have been sailing entirely with OS X and linux from this year.

Gerard Barberi
February 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Microsoft and proprietary software drove me to linux. Fedora drove me to ubuntu. I couldn't get Fedora to run well.

LaneLester
February 3rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
No, I've been bouncing back and forth between Linux and Windows for years. But I believe that Ubuntu will allow me to skip the XP > Vista upgrade forever. I've never liked XP; my favorite Windows is 2000.

I still need to run some Winapps, and Win 2000 in Win4Lin is the way I do it.

Lane

EdThaSlayer
February 3rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
I'm actually looking forward to Vista(its already out but until it gets mass adoption). The reason being that some crackers will find a ingenius way to crack Vista's outer shell open with viruses and worms. Its a good time for the people to run towards the great kingdom of Linux and depart their former [burned] down homes.

undertakingyou
February 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
I'm actually looking forward to Vista(its already out but until it gets mass adoption). The reason being that some crackers will find a ingenius way to crack Vista's outer shell open with viruses and worms. Its a good time for the people to run towards the great kingdom of Linux and depart their former [burned] down homes.

I like your attitude! My sentiments exactly.

UNDERTAKINGYOU--
------------------------

BillZog
February 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
No, but the fact that MS stopped supporting XP SP1 last Fall, has a history of discontinuing support of earlier editions PLUS what I have read about the complexity, size, and upscale machine requirements to run VISTA successfully tipped the balance.

JarG0n
February 4th, 2007, 12:48 AM
No sir. You are right on the money. I moved to Ubuntu because Microsoft dropped support for Windows XP SP1, and future versions for the sake of forced upgrades. This means I would have to upgrade to Vista, and pay for the trash.

Considering the idiotic "validation procedures" that is FORCED on customers for the sake of profits, inherently insecure distributions (useless services on by default), questionable privacy practices, the perceived "cozy relationship" with "big brother", anti-trust lawsuits, computer hardware co-conspirators (Dell) forcing the sale and removing freedom of choice, and unethical practices Microshaft employs on its competitors, the choice was a no brainer for me.

So, like you, I sicken at the thought of another MS OS existing on my computer. It's time for a change, and Linux has matured enough for the general public. Thank God for Ubuntu and other user friendly distros to get the masses started down the path to freedom from corporate fascism (did I say that?). :)

reiki
February 4th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Vista had nothing to do with my switch to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu itself had EVERYTHING to do with my reasons for switching. I had entertained thoughts of getting away from windows for years... literally. I had experimented with various *nix flavors. Remember compiling slackware kernels on a 386-66? Like...start at lunchtime and hope like hell it's done by dinner time?

*nix was interesting but was not ready for day-to-day use. Ubuntu is ready for day-to-day use. In fact I've been using it since August of '05. As in... no Windows OS on the system (although I did keep it handy on a removeable drive carrier... just in case)

Brainfart
February 4th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Actually, Fedora had more to do with my installing Kubuntu than anything else. There were a few things I didn't like about how it was running (for instance, installing updates takes forever). Well, that plus my Sabayon disc wasn't getting through the install process without freezing. I'd have gone with Gentoo but I didn't want to put a full day into installing everything at once. Maybe later I'll use another partition for that... (Gentoo's the only OS I have on my laptop, but I had to take it into the shop).

wilberfan
February 4th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Yep. Absolutely.

The more I read about Vista, the more I didn't want to have to deal with it. The deal-breaker for me was when I heard it could only be re-installed TWICE on the same machine?

Bull#$&t.

Around the same time, I happened to see a very good review of Ubuntu in eWeek (or something) --last summer sometime.

Bingo. There's my answer! I had tried Mandrake a couple of years ago, but it was just too big a struggle...

I absolutely, no-lie, couldn't have made it this far without this forum! It's the ENTIRE reason why I'm still running Ubuntu.

So, thanks to all y'all (you know who you are!) who've helped me over the bumpy bits on my ongoing journey into this new World with No Windows! :)

sympeltun
February 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM
vista's not the reason i got ubuntu, it was the sense of security and the appeal of free software. but definitely vista did strengthen my feelings towards ubuntu.

btw, i heard stories about vista deleting files that it thinks it's owner should have (without warning), i want to know how much of that is true...

iPower
February 4th, 2007, 12:25 PM
i use different OSes (none of them is windows)

Sunnz
February 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM
No.

It was XP. ;)

graabein
February 4th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Vista is irrelevant. I'm never going to install it and I'll hopefully substitute my XP partition with a virtual image to play Age of Conan and City of Heroes and yeah, Civilization IV.

Sefrin
February 5th, 2007, 01:33 AM
The ability to be able to restore individual files to different points in time is pretty useful.

Ah, so they're taking stuff from their Server 2003 and putting it into the desktop client.

Falkon
February 5th, 2007, 06:53 PM
So what about vista made you all switch? I keep hearing bad things about it, but never specifically what is so bad.

Also @graabein, I have an XP partition for games as well, and Civ IV rocks!

wilberfan
February 6th, 2007, 03:37 AM
So what about vista made you all switch? I keep hearing bad things about it, but never specifically what is so bad.

For me it was the "can only be installed twice" feature. :shock:

I didn't like the sound of all the DRM stuff, either...

Quillz
February 6th, 2007, 03:43 AM

Vista is a long overdue upgrade from XP. I fail to see how this could "sicken you" at the most basic level. (I say this because I know of the DRM scare and all that.)

I use Windows every day, and I think it's a great OS in its own right. But what brought me to Linux in general (I say this because I no longer actively use Ubuntu) was the fact that I was just curious as to what alternatives PC users had to Windows. The more I use Linux, the more I prefer it to Windows.

euler_fan
February 6th, 2007, 03:50 AM
I came over thinking Ubuntu would be a novelty OS for me to do some coding and mathematical computing on. Turns out I then got completely hooked.

Incidentally, I will probably accept a copy of vista as part of a standard laptop bundle (I like my HP) the next time I buy, but will let Ubuntu steal most of the hard-drive :)

I see no reason to switch back to windows. I just want the Vista for things like doing my taxes (unless TurboTax or one of its competitors makes a Linux version . . . ). If I boot it 5 times a year, that is alright by me.

Omnios
February 6th, 2007, 03:58 AM
I started using Ubuntu linux about two years ago because I got fed up with all the microsoft crap. I woke up one day to find that all the kewl free smileys where changed to $3 smiley packs of 3 or 4. Then I started reading how Vista was going to cose huge amounts of money which finally pushed me over the edge. I did not have spyware or virus problems as I knew how to properly maintain my XP system though I do not miss the hours of updating and scanning with antivirus and anti spyware scanners.

Anyways I always wanted to try Linux even back in 99. I am glad I switched to Linux. I have learn't more in the last two years using Linux than windows ever taught me and find I am solving a lot of my own problems now.

Linux is not only free as in beer but also free as in education.

Dayylin
February 6th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Vista didn't bring me to Ubuntu but it is definitely helping me to spread the word about Ubuntu. The past couple days I have talked to a lot of people who either bought a new pc with vista on it or upgraded. Vista proves what I have said all along...Windows is what happens when you give the computer world a enema.

I have given out the Ubuntu website so many times I am almost ready to start the calls by giving it out. So please folks, no hate for M$, with Vista they are making more people take a serious look at *nix.

Sunnz
February 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Also @graabein, I have an XP partition for games as well, and Civ IV rocks!
I was on the edge "wouldn't mind to run Vista" too.

Well it doesn't have a significant improvement over XP while having a much higher hardware requirement, it doesn't make sense to upgrade to anything to do the same job - while there are much much better alternative like Mac, Linux, etc.

Still doesn't really matter, I would run the cheapest Vista there is just to do work if I need to.

But one single thing that turns me away from ever touch Vista again is this: http://polishlinux.org/gnu/drm-vista-and-your-rights

w00dchaz
February 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Not 100 percent -- I've been meaning to switch to Linux for years, and Ubuntu turned out to be a good intro -- but Vista was a big part of my motivation. I don't want to just sit around and wait to get raped. I want to be free by the time they try to force it on us.

ginnie6
February 11th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Vista is the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I tried ubuntu abouta year ago....halfheartedly. Gave up before long though. After reading on vista and their new license agreement it wasn't hard to make the decision that it is finally time to learn linux. yes its different. Yes there are some things I'll miss. for one my scanner doesn't work in linux. Dh uses my computer sometimes for work and needs microsoft office (I know I can run that under wine) so far my picture printer isn't working right but I'm going to learn it. i am dual booting with XP and will probably continue to do so. set up a new computer for the kids though with only Ubuntu. As much "stuff" as they tend to get I wanted something not so vulnerable for them. Dh's laptop will continue with xp until he has to go to vista. My computer though will never have vista on it. If microsoft wants control of my computer then they can pay me for that priviledge........not the other way around!

esaym
February 12th, 2007, 03:26 AM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with these opinions:biggrin:

And just to elaborate, my move to linux was not about "ms sucks linux rules" so to speak, but it was about me taking back MY pc

rko618
February 12th, 2007, 05:02 AM
I wouldn't say Vista brought me to ubuntu as I came to linux before vista came out but I would definitely say that Vista kept me from going back to Windows.

My grips with vista are mainly the DRM issues, Windows genuine advantage/product registration crap. All of which I know I will never have to deal with in Linux :).

undertakingyou
March 1st, 2007, 04:40 PM
Don't know if this thread is dead or not, but at work we just got our first Vista machine, and it is my job to set it up. I don't like that Vista at all. If I had used it prior to coming to ubuntu rather than after, it would have been my reason. What a pain!

Pikestaff
March 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
Hmm, I think my answer to this question would be "sort of"... I got interested in Linux and decided I wanted to switch to it back when Vista was still just somewhere in the horizon. Once it got closer to the Vista release date and I heard about some of the problems with it, it made me want to switch to Ubuntu even more (although I had been planning on it anyway). So I guess you could say it "sort of" brought me to Ubuntu.

I don't plan on ever having Vista on one of my computers. Some of my friends have Vista... they rave about how shiny it is and I just smile and nod :popcorn:

tenshi-no-shi
March 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM
Vista definately did not make me decide to switch my (and my parents) computer to linux, it was Norton SystemWorks 2005 that did. Well that was the nail in the coffin at least.

I had tried RedHat 7 a long time ago, because of a friend of my dad that worked for U.C. Davis that was big into linux. I had gotten it somewhat working, except for the sound. So I went back to using Windows. It wasn't till a couple years ago that I tried Ubuntu, mainly because of the people on an IRC channel that I frequent. So I downloaded Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog and installed it (Dual-boot) on my computer, instantly I was amazed at how much faster my computer ran with Ubuntu, but because of a Game I kept Windows on (TES3). Well not too long after that my parents computer which had Norton's SystemWorks on it, well they let the subscription lapse on it, and their computer went caput. I mean you could do nothing on it. So my parents getting sick of it asked me to install Linux on it (I had been taking about Linux was for a while now). So I installed it on their computer (Breezy Badger) around the same time I wanted a bigger HD for Linux decided to format my Windows drive and Upgrade to Breezy that way.

I haven't turn back to Windows for anything since then, utlizing the philosophy if I can't get it for (or to work on) Linux then I probably did not need it in the first place.

Now Excuse me I need to restart Swiftfox (just upgrade to 2.0.0.2)

chadlewis
March 1st, 2007, 10:07 PM
I've messed around with various distros in the past, but always on a spare machine. Linux had never seemed like it was ready for prime time just yet. There were some neat ideas, but the usability just wasn't there.

All the talk about Vista didn't bother me much, since I was pretty happy with XP and not in a hurry to upgrade. Then I got a free copy of Vista Business, and decided to install it. Meh. I've got a 360 though, so I plunked down the $140 to upgrade to Ultimate, for the Media Center Extender stuff. Still meh.

I'd been seeing a lot of buzz on Digg about Ubuntu, so I figured I'd give the new (to me) distro a shot and see how far Linux has come in my absence, and I was amazed. There are so many programs that are not only more stable, but all-around better than their Windows counter-parts. Ubuntu is now my primary OS on my main home machine and my laptop. I'm hoping to be able to contribute some code at some point, to give back at least a little something. It seems almost unfair that I'm using all this great software for free, legally.

qazwsx
March 1st, 2007, 10:30 PM
Norton's antivirus and firewall on xp made me to do it. I had 3 years licence and for no reason it forced me to reinstall the whole s**t because of it just stopped working. I just coudn't hadle it after third time. And yes the recovery dvd didn't support partitioning - only formatting as the only option.
I had also used mainly open source software on Windows so the transition was quite painless for me. There is no way anymore that I am going back to that virusbox.

kazuya
March 1st, 2007, 11:35 PM
Vista is not what brought me here. The greatness of the OS along with other distros like Xandros, Mepis, Knoppix, Mandrake, etc brought me to Ubuntu. Currently, I still use Ubuntu Edgy, but use others such as Zenwalk, pclinuxos, and Sabayon.

Acrolisx
March 2nd, 2007, 01:38 AM
Yes, Bill G. is to much money in this stupid monopoly and the world needs to wakeup and smell the Linux... and I am looking for a way to use flash memory for swap (virtual memory) for the system, any ideas to where to go?

Acrolisx

P.S. I really love this flavor of Linux and what have being done to it (Ubuntu).

BigBabyDaddy1968
March 2nd, 2007, 02:04 AM
Vista is what pushed me from vaguely knowing of linux in general to actively seeking out distros and exploring Ubuntu. Since getting my mp3 player 2.5 years ago, I've become keenly aware/disgusted by proprietary anything, so now that MS seem hell-bent on taking the Big Brother routine to the ridiculous, it's time to explore alternatives.

BBD

SunnyRabbiera
March 2nd, 2007, 02:07 AM
In a way yes and in a way no.
I had issues with XP, with all its security bugs, viruses, addware, spyware, malware and etc I was battered and bruised by microsofts lacksidaical approach to keeping a OS safe and secure.
Even with the service packs MS was asleep at the wheel.
Now I will be honest with you, vista when it was longhorn was promising to me BUT once I heard MS having to do all this crap to it and make it incompatible with like everything... even XP wasnt like that, even with XP and its demands wasnt like what vista wants.
With XP I had a somewhat easy upgrade, with vista its a nightmare.
But uif anything it is linux in general that brought me to ubuntu (currently)
Ubuntu has a great repository and great support, and it can only get better.

kevmartin
March 2nd, 2007, 08:08 AM
Indirectly, yes, Vista brought me to linux. I'd been meaning to make a switch for about 5 years. The Vista rip-off (as I see it) pushed me over the edge. Even though I had no plans to upgrade to Vista - ever - news that XP had been withdrawn from sale, meaning I would have no choice when it came to my next PC was enough to get me moving. Then I happened to see a mention of Ubuntu somewhere. And here I am, with a dual boot system setup so I can still use the applications I can't do without from Windowsland, as well as test drive web pages and php scripts on both platforms.

mediax
March 2nd, 2007, 01:49 PM

You said it all - even if my employer may not fully agree with you :lolflag:

Having said that, I still voted no in the poll - I was using Ubuntu before Vista appeared.

steve101101
March 2nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
The reason i use ubuntu is that i enjoy to learn how and why the OS works. Also i like to see stuff happening unlike windows which hides everything in the background.

DigitalAxis
June 16th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I guess you could say that Vista did... but really, it was fear of Windows Palladium. This was the OS that was supposed to come out in 2004; require you to log in to the internet every 30 days to make sure you were still there, store and verify tons of information directly with Microsoft, prevent the system from running ANY program not officially signed by Microsoft (which would make computer programming classes somewhat useless), etc etc...

I saw that, and decided I ought to look at alternatives. As it turns out, Palladium was watered down (assuming that really WAS what they were planning) and turned into Vista; 2004 turned into 2007, and I doubt that first LiveCD I ever tried (Suse 8.2, I think) would work on my laptop even if I could find it again.

I've gone from experimenting with Knoppix, to Gentoo, to K/X/Ubuntu in the years since 2003. Don't really regret it either.

wilberfan
June 17th, 2007, 03:05 AM
HELL yes, uh huh, yep, you betcha, frickin' A!

It wasn't from USING Vista--it was from just READING about it! When I started hearing about all the DRM stuff, etc (last summer), I told myself, "YOU need to embrace the penquin, and become comfortable with him so you're not tempted come the end of January 2007..."

Just made it, too!

Thanks, Ubuntu! :)

Zellio
June 17th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I use both Vista and Ubuntu, what is the problem here?

They both have pros and cons.

Nekiruhs
June 17th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Well, sorta... <guilt> I was trying to install Vista (Shame on ME!!) because I got it free from Gateway's express upgrade program (Basically, if you bougth a new PC 6 months or less before Vista, you got Vista free) and I liked AERO (Blech, Beryl > AERO). Well, I borked it, and I borked it bad... Somehow, it got f****d up and installed some corrupted files. Well when I tried to reinstall, Vista said # of Installs is more than one. That obviously didn't work, And when I went back to XP, I had lost all my drivers, and found that my XP "Restore CD" was dependent on the recovery partition, which I had deleted to make room for Vista, for all its drivers, not just my documents and settings. So my computer was a brick with a processor. I knew about Linux but never gave it a decent chance. Well, I thought "WTH, why not, its gotta be better than this". So I used Ubuntu exclusively for about a month while I awaited my $20 XP Full Restore CD. I learned alot in that month, really, many people on the verge of switching ought to try it. So, naturally, when I got the XP CD, I decided to dual boot. I wiped Ubie, installed windows, installed Ubie, and was happy. I only use XP for gaming on the weekends, but I installed Ubie in a VM so I'm never far away from Linux.:popcorn:

Lozz
June 22nd, 2007, 02:11 PM
Yes it did, twice!! The first time I read about it & was fairly disgusted. The disgust only increased after I saw the criminal UK pricing for Vista & then I installed another linux distro. However after a couple of weeks it had annoyed me to the point that I tried out Vista, when I saw how heavily it used up my system resources & had umpteen problems with it I switched to Ubuntu & tried harder.

czechman86
June 22nd, 2007, 02:14 PM
No, I randomly came to use it, after a friend of mine had been telling me to do so for about 2 years. So I gave it a try for two weeks and was hooked. However, there was no skype or alternative that was working for me, so unfortunately, I was forced to dual boot with osx.

mhenry35
June 22nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
Yes, Vista brought me here. No doubt about it - Microsoft can't make up their mind how to manage a hard drive, so they keep moving things around, probably to confuse people who don't understand a file management system. They like users being helpless and dependent.

Vista was very slow to boot and shutdown, it was very nice and slick with the graphic interface, but that just isn't going to cut it - the thing asked permission every time I wanted to execute a program. I know you can probably configure it to ask less often, but the spyware situation on MS products is really bad. It's very hard to remove some of them, and I don't like having every freakin' program be a TSR. If you let the windows apps do as they like, you'll have 15 icons in your system tray! Then it's a battle to find and configure each item not to automatically load.

If you run a Microsoft OS, you have to at least load a spyware blocker, an antivirus program, a firewall, and you have to do regular scans in case something got through. You also have to put up with the continual efforts by Microsoft to control what is installed on your PC - they want everything to be automatic updates, and many updates are for things like DRM, or security updates because they didn't design the system well enough in the first place.

So yes, good poll - Vista brought me to Linux (even though I had tried Red Hat 6.2 quite a few years ago - it wasn't quite good enough for me to switch back then, but times have changed.)

Now, if someone will please develop a good video editor that I can use on my 5-15 minute music videos, I'll see if I can forget who Micro$oft is. :)

Depressed Man
June 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Sort of yes.. I had experimented with Linux a while back but never made any serious jumps into it. But with Vista on my laptop and Wubi I installed Ubuntu onto it. Then I later made a seperate partition for Ubuntu on my desktop. So now they both dual boot (Windows being only kept around for games..well in the laptop's case suspend and hibernate as well)

viddect
June 22nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
i have been chasing the linux dream as a hobbie for 5 years now. I am a linux admin because of that. I see vista at work and i feel dirty. If it wasnt for my wife i wouldnt have windows in my house

rocknrolf77
June 23rd, 2007, 02:28 AM
No, I randomly came to use it, after a friend of mine had been telling me to do so for about 2 years. So I gave it a try for two weeks and was hooked. However, there was no skype or alternative that was working for me, so unfortunately, I was forced to dual boot with osx.

No skype? http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/ ;)

DoctorMO
June 23rd, 2007, 02:48 AM
They both have pros and cons.

Technically yes, but to support Windows and Microsoft by buying into their products your actions say that you think what Microsoft as a company do is quite all right. personally though I think what they do as a company to be beyond the patience and consideration of bad behaviour so I couldn't use their software even if it was any good. my god why don't people either get some moral sense or some principles.

zero244
June 23rd, 2007, 03:29 AM
Actually it was Vista and the fact that ending support for XP is getting closer. By support I don't need to call MS for a problem, but I have a feeling when support for XP ends so will your ability to activate your copy XP.
Someone gave me a copy of Dapper and I was so impressed I looked very close at Ubuntu and decided to install it permanently. Right now I am running Edgy.

guitodd
June 23rd, 2007, 05:42 AM
I have had a dual boot for over ten years... It's what I read and what friends said about Vista that got me on the path of finding programs in Linux that could replace my win apps.. Once I was certain I could live without Win. I reformatted and never turned back.

adityakavoor
June 23rd, 2007, 05:46 AM
without doubt

rzrgenesys187
September 21st, 2007, 08:19 PM
It brought me over in a way. Vista is terrible and i had been wanting to try linux for a while. When i first installed linux i forced myself to get it to work because i didn't like vista and when i had sound and everything right i have no desire to go to anything that isn't free. I have been planning on trying some other distros, just for comparisons sake

SupaSonic
September 21st, 2007, 08:35 PM
I was actually really awaiting Vista, and after using it for a month, formatted my hard drive. It crashed every day,was extremely slow, and had numerous other issues.

I thought I'd try Linux for a change. Installed SuSe - couldn't get PPPoE set up. Deleted Suse - tried Debian. Long story short, deleted Debian and installed Ubuntu.

I should be thankful to the guys from Redmond, because they are the reason I switched to Linux. If you google 'vista ubuntu' you'll find loads of links, so yeah, I think a lot of people switched to Linux or specifically Ubuntu because Vista sucked so bad.

FrankQuist
September 21st, 2007, 11:42 PM
Vista was what made me move to Ubuntu a full one (as opposed to dual boot). I had already used Ubuntu before (through Wubi - great tool) and had planned to install it again, but after getting Vista and barely being able to run anything on it without it being slow or, more often, it crashing (on a brand new computer), I started hating booting into it so much that I stopped doing that. I have not booted into Vista for about a month, now.

Apart from trouble playing some games and full Office document interopability (which I need sometimes), no regrets.

markp1989
September 22nd, 2007, 12:00 AM
Didn't bring me here, but it sure is doing a damn good job of keeping me here.

lol i couldnt agree more :D

raywjohnson
September 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
Absolutely! But in the "last straw" sense. I have not been able to break my addiction to windoz until Ubuntu! After installing it on my home PC I realize that Linux had finally become the OS that I always hoped it would be. I tried to install a BETA version for Vista and it refused! (not enough RAM!) Well, that was the last straw!

I have installed/used Redhat, Fedora, SUSE, and Slackware with some success. Ubuntu is, by far, my favorite! And just to show how far Linux has come, you can order a Dell computer with Ubuntu installed! So I did! That's right, I am posting this message from my brand new Dell Inspiron 1420 with Ubuntu (7.04, Feisty Fawn).

--RayJ :biggrin:

cwmoser
September 22nd, 2007, 01:06 AM
Nope, I converted to Ubuntu a few months before Vista was released.

My reasons were:

Tired of fighting Adware and Spyware.

Tired of Windows XP getting slower and slower.

Tired of CD Keys and Activation codes.

Obscurity with how the internals of Windows works.

Seemingly thrashing and churning.

Carl

thekat
September 22nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
I run a Linux Email server, an OpenBSD firewall and have
2 XP machines .
I got involved with Beta Testing VISTA , the place I work is going to push it out next year..

After working on it and watching VISTA bring a 3.2 Ghz with 2GiG of RAM to its knees..
I said to my self...
Self.. Vista is never going to be in my house..
VISTA was using 30% of 2 GIG just friggin doing nothing..
It pissed me off so bad that I came home and put Ubuntu on my
main PC.. (just reloaded with Kubuntu)
I just like KDE better..

I will still have to use VISTA at work when the time comes but not at home..

tk

Skorzen
September 22nd, 2007, 01:46 AM
No, it didn't. What moved me to Ubuntu was the idea and philosophy behind the O.S. I don't like Vista because it's too heavy but it didn't bring me to Ubuntu.

akiratheoni
September 22nd, 2007, 02:09 AM
I do hate to admit it, but yes. I bought my new computer intending to install Ubuntu, and it came with Vista. However I thought I would just be experimenting with Ubuntu, and using Vista most of the time. For the first couple weeks, I was right. Then I felt like using Ubuntu more, and well, that's when I regretted only partitioning 15GB for Ubuntu. Now, I can't stand Vista.

LowSky
September 22nd, 2007, 02:15 AM
I decided that vista wasnt an option. So I tried ubuntu like 16 moths ago while testing RC's of vista... lets just say ubuntu wins hands down